Help with tablet choice possibly nook

crwmlw#IM

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding tablets. I'm very interested in a Google tablet. There are a few at sears, staples etc. I would however like something loser to the galaxy tab. I of course want flash, market etc. Is there anything currently that has that? I heard of the Barnes and noble book getting froyo possibly and its the size I want. Is it worth getting now? Will it get flash and market? Thanks so much

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted NookColor that now has the market, but not Flash (yet). Devs are working on custom roms that will make this device a home run. Even if you don't want to root and install custom roms, B&N has said officially that they will upgrade the device to Froyo in January and will add the android market. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating on the NookColor or the Viewsonic G Tablet.. (either one I'm going to root/ROM anyways).. real tempted to pop the extra $150 for the G tablet..

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence too.. I want the G-Tab, the Viewsonic when rooted I hear is great but I want the Wifi Only version of the G-Tab and not sure when or if that is going to come out..

Motorola has it's Tab hinting at Honeycomb right out the gate

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The Nookcolor has a TI OMAP processor running at 800mhz and a good graphics processor. I just checked out some of the stuff the devs are working on over at XDA and one of them has it overclocked to 1.1ghz with tweaked voltage settings. He said he got over 1000 on Quadrant and almost 8 on Linpack. That is comparable to the Droid X as far as performance goes. I think you'll see Barnes and Noble supporting this tablet for quite a while, especially since they said it was getting 2.2 in Jan/Feb. I went with the Nookcolor over the G-tablet simply due to the fact I think it will see more support from both the manufacturer and the devs.

pack7483#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating on the NookColor or the Viewsonic G Tablet.. (either one I'm going to root/ROM anyways).. real tempted to pop the extra $150 for the G tablet..

Non rooted g tab is almost unusable. Nook with 2.2 in January not rooted will be a fantastic ereader with tablet features out of the box. The nook screen is amazing. I plan on getting a NC after 2.2 unless moto has a killer price on their honeycomb tab. I won't hold my breath on that though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

calypsocowboy

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I went through the same thing, I just got the NookColor last night. Silly wife wanted to play with it before I could root it. So it is still stock for now. Personally I like the form factor of the NC over the GTab, it feels a little better. The GTab has more processing power and potential, but really for the price the NC is a good buy and should do what I need it to do. I do think the XDA community will get the NC into a pretty swanky tablet given time. I'm willing to give them that time due to the cost.

-Josh

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
To clarify...the Nook will be getting a market but it will NOT be the "original" Market. They have their own version of the market. It is yet to be seen what exactly will be offered through that market.

They have released the SDK so developers can update their apps and submit but I have no idea how much interest there has been in that.

A rep at Barnes & Noble told me they had been working on developing apps for the market since October. I hope she is right, and I hope the apps they have been developing are the ones that open it up into a real communication device (Google Mail, Google Talk, etc.). Those things are easily installed once rooted, but it would be nice to be able to do it without root.

Having said that, I doubt you'll ever see the Kindle ap on the B&N market so I'll likely always be rooted. I like having my Kindle books accessible. :D

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to wait for a Tablet that does not need rooting and hacked ROMs to become a quality device. So far it sounds like that means either the Tab or the upcoming Motorola tablet.

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nook color + android market

The rep at the store stated that their contract with Google starts Jan 1st and the nook color will have access to the Andriod Market as of then. They already have a cheezy market avail on the device, but I am waiting till after the 1st to get it and load ANGRY BIRDS!!!

I don't like to flash this and sideload that, so I am excited that they will get access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol