Chrome OS Tablet.. Better Than an ipad??

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that everything as a web app is a better model than discrete apps, but I'm sure that there will be some people who love it. For the average, non-geek user, who probably has owned an iPod at some point and has iTunes loaded with music and maybe some tv shows and movies, I think that the iPad would be a stronger draw.

jerbear

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you do more than one thing at a time? Can you use software from sources other than some official application catalog? If so then it is already better than an iPad.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
when I saw the new Chromebooks in action during Google IO's keynote today, I definitely asked myself, "where's the Chrome tablet?"

as a business user, I was disappointed to find out that Google Docs works terribly on Android tablets. on a Chrome tablet though, GDocs would work great!

I'm not spending money on an Android tablet now. I'll wait for the Chrome tablets, or - better yet - a Chrome Transformer-type device.

:)

slbailey1

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I just finished watching the Chrome Keynote. Halfway thru the ChromeOS section it dawned on me that the ChromeOS is better suited on a tablet than a laptop. And I would love to have a ChromeOS tablet.

I'm also thanking that with the NFC features and the Open Accessory APIs, a ChromeOS tablet should be able to see and handle notifications from an Android phone.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't say so.

People can use an iPad very well offline, but not the Chrome OS. It is an OS meant for nigh-constant internet access.

Good point -- definitely a limitation to keep an eye on, assuming it's true. I would expect that Google, and app developers, would expand the off-line capabilities beyond Gmail, Docs & (something else).

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, the OS -is- merely a beefed up Web Browser sitting on a Linux Kernel. I can't really see it competing with full-fledged apps, unless they do expand offline capabilities.

And if they do, then I have to ask why they are doing it. Why not just put more resources into fixing the bugs that people are complaining about with Android? I don't see the point of a Chrome OS Tablet, maybe I'm just weird.

I do see the point of an Android Tablet, though.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Chrome OS is beginning to make more sense to a lot of users - maybe not you. My email, my pictures, most of my business and education docs are already online. I don't use the more advanced software, which requires the Windows OS, until I get back to my home office. So, these lighter, longer-life laptops might make more sense for me while I'm on the road. Although, I'd prefer to have Chrome OS on a Transformer-type device, giving me both a tablet and a netbook.

Most of my clients, who are small-medium sized businesses, are already in the cloud (Google Apps), too. Some of those clients are pilots, who would love to have a laptop that
1) isn't over-priced, like Apple,
2) actually gets 8+ hours of battery life and
3) gives them access to the typical services that they use, every one of which happens to be web-based.

As for why Google is pursuing 2 platforms - Google OS and Android - at the same time -- I don't have an answer for that one. I think the answer to that question will present itself as both platforms mature a bit more. Too early to tell without being involved in Google's meetings. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance