Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Biggest Tablet Fail = Lack of Full Sized SD Card Slot

I am an amateur photographer. I have been holding off on buying a tablet for now, even though I think one would be great for what I do. But IMO the biggest fail of all the tablets out so far is lack of full sized SD card slots. These things are big enough now (the 10" sized one anyway) that the real estate needed for a full size slot is insignificant. I was waiting eagerly for the new Samsung 10" tablet, only to find out that it also has microSD.

These things are the perfect companion for digital photography, but you can't pull the card out of your camera and stick it in the tablet. FAIL!

As a photographer, I want to do two things with a tablet:

1. View images from my SD cards on the tablet.
    2. Use a tablet as a large sized live preview screen while shooting.

I would love to attach a tablet to my tripod, and get a live image display on the tablet, so I can check levels, focus, etc, on the bigger screen, rather than the 3" screen on the camera.

So I am waiting to see how good the Toshiba tablet is going to be. It might be my only choice. If there are others with full sized SD cards slots, let me know. Thanks.

Just a thought. Have you considered using a micro sd with the full sized adapter that many brands include? then you can pull the micro out to put into the tablet.
    Just a possible work around.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,615 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Toshiba tablet will have full size support acer has full size I believe asus has one on keyboard xoom u can plug in a SD card reader
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesleonard View Post
    Just a thought. Have you considered using a micro sd with the full sized adapter that many brands include? then you can pull the micro out to put into the tablet.
    Just a possible work around.
    Yes, but for the most part, the micro cards are too slow for high end DSLR shooting in RAW mode. Plus they are more expensive. Plus I already have a collection of SD cards, and I don't want to buy them all over again. I did that when my camera switched from CF cards to SD cards. No way I'm doing that for those microSD cards.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Toshiba tablet will have full size support acer has full size I believe asus has one on keyboard xoom u can plug in a SD card reader
    It's too bad the Asus' is on the keyboard, as that is no advantage to me. I have a 12" Asus laptop, so the transformer w/ keyboard would be a step down. besides, needing the keyboard defeats the advantages of the tablet.

I plug-in reader would be ok i guess, for reviewing shots later after a shoot. But would not be the most convenient in the field. I know there are workarounds to get what I want, but I don't want a work around. I want a good solution.

The Toshiba looks like my best bet, but who knows when it will be released. It just boggles my mind why every tablet does not come with SD reader by default.

Quote Originally Posted by mrputzy View Post
    Yes, but for the most part, the micro cards are too slow for high end DSLR shooting in RAW mode. Plus they are more expensive. Plus I already have a collection of SD cards, and I don't want to buy them all over again. I did that when my camera switched from CF cards to SD . No way I'm doing that for those microSD cards.

Understood. Been there.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,615 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I think it has to do with honeycomb not reading or working properly. yes other tablets have it working but its a work around just like what I have on xoom. just a band aid
    Quote Originally Posted by mrputzy View Post
    It's too bad the Asus' is on the keyboard, as that is no advantage to me. I have a 12" Asus laptop, so the transformer w/ keyboard would be a step down. besides, needing the keyboard defeats the advantages of the tablet.

I plug-in reader would be ok i guess, for reviewing shots later after a shoot. But would not be the most convenient in the field. I know there are workarounds to get what I want, but I don't want a work around. I want a good solution.

The Toshiba looks like my best bet, but who knows when it will be released. It just boggles my mind why every tablet does not come with SD reader by default.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

@mrputzy

I take it you haven't noticed the lack of ability to properly calibrate tablet displays yet?
    From a practical standpoint, a usb socket is probably more useful for photographers than an SD slot, since neither my dSLR nor the MF digital back use SD (it's compact flash), and neither do many others.

As regards live viewing, can I recommend a MF back via firewire to 15" MacBook Pro or similar? I get a 39Mpixel image displayed in under 4 seconds, and that's the real image, not just a thumbnail extraction. That screen size works very well for both fine detail, critical focus and exposure. I wonder how well a tablet would suffice? Probably not that well.

What do you think?

Jon
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Sorry, forgot about all those high end cameras still using CF cards. My Nikon gear (D90, D7000, D300s) all take SD cards. And as an amateur, no way can I afford MF gear. You're even more out of luck than I am, in terms of built-in support. Currently I use a 12" Asus laptop, which is great as it has built-in SD card. So one less device to pack into my camera bag. But it is not convenient in the field. I would love to be able to attach a tablet right to my tripod using a RAM mount, and use it as live image review.

I may get tired of waiting for the Toshiba, and settle for an Acer since it has full sized USB port, and will be getting the 3.1 update to allow USB hosting. At least then I can either plug in my reader, or plug camera directly into device. Either may have to suffice, unless Toshiba can get their tablet on the market soon.

Yes, agree, we both reflect different use cases. I'm just waiting on a transformer coming. I like the idea of 2 USB sockets (on the dock) , so I can pass through from the camera at one side to a 2.5 USB powered he'd on the other.

On the calibration front; I've just read that Datacolor have released an app for ipad to allow use of the Spyder3 to calibration. Wouldn't be a huge move to have an android app!
    Jon

And yeah, agree with it.

Marvel-Digital