Why no replacable batteries in Tablets?

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Only one tablet that I know of has easily accessible batteries (Toshiba Thrive). All the others that I have seen have sealed backs.

I have to ask what is the reason for this odd, almost universal omission. Is it planned obsolescence? What if a battery goes bad? Many batteries' have a half life of less than two years. What will happen to our favorite $500 to $700 tablet when that battery starts getting a little tired two years from now, but otherwise is still fully functional? Will our only option be replacement of the tablet?

Opinions and observations please.

Cbill

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its not a permanent battery it can be replaced if it warrents it. And like PC and cell phones you'll b replacing it with a newer model before batteries die.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Moosc: Have you any experience in changing the battery in a tablet? I suspect not. Of course it can be replaced. But can it be replaced by the average person, with reasonable effort and tools? I think not!

Evidently you have no qualms about replacing a $500 item, every 1 1/2 to 2 years. If that is the case, I am not sure you would be considered representative of the norm.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Cbill

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Ive taken my xoom cover off its T5 torx and a spudgle. Thin piece of plastic. Rear cover slides down. Them a T7 torx. Total of 10screws plus 2 more T5 torx .where u buy a battery is another issue.

You replace your phone every two years. Current generation tablets are nothing more then a phone over sized.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Moo: Why of course! You are right. Sounds like something anyone can do on the kitchen table. How idiotic of me.

And only an idiot would want to keep a $500+tablet (not Phone) over two years. Especially in bad economic times.

I am not sure you are in contact with the real world. One thing for sure. If people like you are willing to pay that type of money for a throw-away product every 2 years, then they will keep making disposable, costly products.

Thanks for the enlightenment

Cbill

petestl

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Man cbill, you must be having a bad day or something.... People will be more likely to respond or help you around here if you are polite and treat them with respect.

Sent from my Dyson DC41 vacuum cleaner

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Pete:

Thanks for your comment and observation. You are, of course right.

Generally I do try to avoid and discourage confrontational dialog on the forums,

The message I was attempting to convey in my post was to stimulate people to think before spending a premium price for an item with, basically, a two year life.

I was not looking for help; just an answer to my query attempting to find out if any other persons are bothered about the fact most tablets are apparently built in a manner requiring expensive service charges just to change the batteries; thereby rendering otherwise servicable tablets no longer usable. Toshiba has shown that this is not necessary by making the "Thrives'" battery easily accessible (replacable).

The problem I had with Mooscs' comments is, in my opinion, his comments trivialized the effort required to change the battery in a tablet. I know what is involved in accessing and replacing the battery in most of the tablets being marketed today, and I can say without hesitation changing of the battery is not a trivial task for the average person. Take a look at one of the videos on "youtube" if you wish to see what is involved.

After some consideration I agree my responses to Moosc were a bit too testy, therefore I apologize to him, you and the forum if I offended you.
Thank you for your observation.

Cbill

Last edited:

Dev Chakraborty

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I fully agree with Cbill - I'm sure that tablet manufacturers have kept the battery out of bounds so that users will have no option but to change the tablets once the battery runs down...that way the market will expand no doubt - but the average consumer will feel a tug on the purse srings...BTW Dell has recently come out with a tablet that's repaceable,..

Dell, First Major OEM with Removable, Extendable Battery For Windows 8 Tablet - HotHardware

Dev

saypete

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Indeed about unremovable tablets batteries.., I am very disappointed, and I am thinking having a slim laptop again, since my DANEW tablet batterie died after 15 months..

Tadb123

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why , but even the glorious iPad won't let you change batteries. Never heard of your brand. The manufacturer probably took shortcuts to save money and put an inferior battery in it.

Sent from my M470BSA using Android Central Forums

jg11681

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree that it is very frustrating that nearly all modern tablets come with batteries that cannot be quickly swapped out.
I would like to be able to carry a spare battery with me.
I am interested in buying the Galaxy Note 8, but removing the battery requires about 15 screws to be removed, and 5 cables to be disconnected.
I have an old HP Tablet PC. - It takes about 4 seconds to do a battery replacement !!!
You may be interested in www.newpower99.com
They supply batteries for modern tablets. They also have videos on their website showing how to replace the battery for each device.
Of course another source for battery change 'how to' videos is YouTube.

hawkeye8179

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Prestigio tablet from QVC 16 months ago, the battery has now stopped charging, having just looked at the user manual on line as you do not get one with the tablet, it says that the battery is a consumable item and therefore not covered under warranty. Does this mean that I have bought a throw away tablet for ?200 ? (great). I am waiting a reply from my email I sent to Prestigio to try to get an answer to my problem. If anyone has any ideas as to what I should do to get a new battery fitted to my tab, I would be very grateful, thanks

MGriz20

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I only signed up after reading the OP's question ... he's funny haha ... anyway i googled replacing a battery in a tablet to see what it looked like before i break open an old tablet and came across this post first.
It's 2016 and still the batteries are not easily replaceable... he was right ... that's bs ... And now the phone companies bill you the price of the phones (300 -600 bucks!!?? And just to do the same things you were doing on your previous two 300 dollar phones!!?) You guys keep buying them and they'll keep doing things that way. Went afk and lost my point but i will mention its funny how micro usb became the "standard." charge port over the mini (the one you would use for a portable or older portable digital camera and phones)

This is from wikipedia ( )

" The newer micro-USB receptacles are designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal between the receptacle and plug, compared to 1,500 for the standard USB and 5,000 for the mini-USB receptacle
. Features intended to accomplish include, a locking device was added and the leaf-spring was moved from the jack to the plug, so that the most-stressed part is on the cable side of the connection. This change was made so that the connector on the less expensive cable would bear the most wear instead of the more expensive micro-USB device.[6][57] However the idea that these changes did in fact make the connector more durable in real world use has been widely disputed, with many contending that they are in fact, much less durable "

micro usb cables cost more .... *sigh*

wquatan

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Same over here. I don't want someone else to decide when (after how many months) my device becomes obsolete because the battery isn't replaceable. Even it the tablet would be ten years old, still working, insecure, old technology, a.s.o., it's still my decision to decide if it's still doing where I need it for.

I'm looking over year for a tablet with replaceable battery, with Android and 11-12 inch. No Luck !
For the Toshiba I was too late, wasn't available any-more. The Dell would have been an option but in my country they sold them only with Windows. Import wasn't an option because of the LTE-channels

So still searching, which doesn't go easily because 99 % of the reviews, comparisons, don't mention it nor provide filtering possibilities for this.
I really don't understand this, as I see so many people looking after it. And to be honest, a tablet being a bit thinner isn't one of my selection criteria.

With smartphones it's getting worse too. Reason why I bought recently a Chinese Ulefone with replaceable battery.

Replacing the battery when the battery is dead is not the only reason, but under circumstances, the final solution for a completely blocked device, is to remove the battery for a while. A broken (thick) battery is another problem happening very often.

Even If I would agree to pay servicing to replace a battery, I wouldn't send it in ! Probably another refurbished device is returned and then there is the content on the device which I consider personal and can't be removed when the battery suddenly died

For me, there are reasons enough for NEVER consider buying a device with a non-removeable battery.

Concerning the remark about the micro-usb charging port, it's indeed a bad choice. Before, even in the dark it was possible to plug the charger in. The micro-usb must be handled very carefully as they can break easily. No way to do it just by feeling the location.

Salieri Morella

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Moosc: Have you any experience in changing the battery in a tablet? I suspect not. Of course it can be replaced. But can it be replaced by the average person, with reasonable effort and tools? I think not!

Evidently you have no qualms about replacing a $500 item, every 1 1/2 to 2 years. If that is the case, I am not sure you would be considered representative of the norm.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Cbill

I agree all tablets should have removable battery at a cheap price

Stormin69

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Funny you mention this I purchased a Toshiba Thrive because of this exact reason. I have had this tablet for over 5 years and the battery finally gave up, I'm going to check out the newpower99 to replace the battery. I have family members that have purchased multiple tablet during this 5 year span and they are amazed that my old Thrive is still alive and kicking. I will keep using this tablet once I replace the battery until it completely dies. Money is like voting as long as people are willing to purchase throw away items manufacturers will keep making them that way.

That's my 2 cents

Andyjenk

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Until recently I thought changing the battery on a tablet would be difficult. It really isn't. Generally a tiny screwdriver er and a guitar pick will do the job, but it is easier with one of the cheap sets available. Check out the YouTube videos and you'll find they all use the same method. Screws maybe in different places but they all just unclip.
My main reason for posting was to ask a question :
Almost all tablets are charged with 5 volts and 2 amps. EBay lists batteries for several different tablets, but also what appear to be generic ones. It strikes me that ANY tablet battery which FITS in a tablet should work OK. If it is too small it an be taped or padded to keep it in place. So my question is, can a generic battery be used?
To those who insist that replacing a tablet battery is too difficult I say when your tablet NEEDS a new battery what have you got to lose by trying? The batteries are not that expensive.
Many of you will already have old tablets which either do not work or you will never use again, so try opening one of those and find out for yourself how easy/hard it is.

Slackercruster

Jan 21, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for informing me about this battety issue. Im new to tablets. Just bot a little Samsung 8 inch at Walmart for $160. Love it! I was going to buy a s4 tablet at Walmart, but after reading this thread l"m not going to. I'm still happlily using windows 7 on 2 pf my laptops. I can't afford to trash a $ 600 tablet every 2 years just because the battery can't be replaced. Sad how these companies screw the people.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci