i-pad vs android tablet

cafutter

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I hope I don't cause an issue here, but I am trying to decide i-pad vs android tablet. I work in a hospital and will not be using it for direct patient care. I will, however, use it for e-mail, looking up patient information, taking notes at meetings etc. I might also use it for entertainment such as watching movies etc. I have never owned an apple product (I have a Bionic), but I know the i-pads are good. I think I need a bigger screen (I have old eyes), so I would be looking for a 10" screen.
My colleagues at work have i-pads and love them and are trying to convince me to get one.
What are the advantages of an android over an i-pad?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope I don't cause an issue here, but I am trying to decide i-pad vs android tablet. I work in a hospital and will not be using it for direct patient care. I will, however, use it for e-mail, looking up patient information, taking notes at meetings etc. I might also use it for entertainment such as watching movies etc. I have never owned an apple product (I have a Bionic), but I know the i-pads are good. I think I need a bigger screen (I have old eyes), so I would be looking for a 10" screen.
My colleagues at work have i-pads and love them and are trying to convince me to get one.

Thanks in advance,

Craig
If you are the type of person who likes to get the most out of their hardware then go Android plus flash. Apple is a very closed in environment and their are many restrictions.

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance,

Craig

I have both an Ipad( purchased before there was a decent Android Tablet) and an Acer A500 32gb Android tablet.
1. You said that you will use it in the hospital, check with your IT dept. and make sure that whatever device you purchase will be able to connect to the network.If there is a specific app needed to access patient files will it work on Android?

2. Both Ipad and most quality Android tablets will do all you mentioned. Both have email apps, both play videos, both have "office" type apps to do spread sheets, pdf files, word files, etc. The big difference being with Ipad you will almost certainly have to pay for them where many Android apps have free versions and the Amazon App store has these apps featured as the free app of the day on a regular basis. Netflicks, Hulu+ run on both. If you have a lot of media that you have downloaded and want to transfer to your device it will be easier with the Android, because most will have the ability to read from a usb drive, sd card, or micro sd card.The Ipad will most likely require that you hook it up with your computer and use Itunes to transfer the files.

3. The big differences!
Battery life, no question Ipads have better battery life.

Screen quality, this is subjective, however I do find that I use the Ipad more often to view videos but my Acer be more then acceptable.

Variety of Apps, no question Apple has "more" apps but I always been able to find an Android equivalant for the apps that I use most often.

There are things that I wanted on a tablet that just aren't available on the Ipad.
1. A full sized USB port on the tablet. This allows me to use an older usb keyboard to type allowing me to use the tablet as a replacement for my laptop. Also I can use an external hard drive/ thumb to access files. The Acer A500 and the Thrive have this ability. No docking station needed.
2. A GPS Satilite sensor. This means that I can use it as a stand a lone GPS. I use CoPilot there are others available. On the Ipad you pay extra for this and you must have a data connection, I think that it is about $150 extra. I'm a road warrior(1000-1500 miles aweek) The 10 inch screen is great for this.

In closing, the Android is the one that I take with me every day. Size may matter to you, so I mention that Androids have 7 inch versions, they will fit nicely into your lab coat pocket, the 10 inch Ipads may or may not.

Whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Typed on my Acer A500 using a usb keyboard

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance,

Craig

I would have to say (being someone who owns Android/iOS/webOS tablets, that they (iOS and Android) both have their pros and cons, and were well stated by Charles.

I actually find the screen to be a bit nicer on our Asus Transformer than the iPad, but it is rreeaallyy close.
For watching movies I think the Android tablet is a bit nicer since it has an aspect ratio which is more suited to that application.

Definitely check with your IT department though, since if using for work it would be best to have what they support.

Android-

Pros:
Little bit nicer screen
Customizable
You can go to more than one store to buy your apps.
More free apps.
Navigation is free.
Just plug it into a computer and drag and drop, no other software needed.

Cons:
Not as buttery smooth
A little more wild west in that Google does not curate their market like Apple does (This is by far the number one complaint I hear, and I hear it a lot) they really should curate their own market;, even tech sites mention this.
Does not have as many apps, and when they both get the same app Apple gets it first.
App quality is a little bit more polished on iOS for the most part.

iOS-

Pros:
Butter smooth
Have 90 something percent of the tablet market, so lots of accessories.
Apps (tons of them made just for the iPad)
Battery life.
I will toss in build quality, though I feel our Transfomer is 90% just as nice.

Cons:
iTunes (well for me it is) I don't like having to be forced to use software to use my device, though they are slowly moving away from it to some degree.
Only one market, so you pay more for the apps.
Can?t customize/no widgets. Your iPad will look pretty much like everyone else?s (except wallpaper, and you can change around the icons and make folders, but you get the idea)

I hope this helps, and you enjoy whichever one you choose.
:)