Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Multi-user capability

Hey all, I'm looking to get a new tablet (really like what I've seen about the Transformer Prime) but I was wondering if any of them have any sort of multi-user capability? I know that if I get a tablet that my wife will want to use it while it's around the house, but I wouldn't want her to have access to all of my email, corporate applications, social media and Google accounts. On our laptop it's not an issue, we each have our own user account with our own settings. On our smartphones it's no big deal since we each have our own phone. But since an Android tablet is basically a giant smartphone, I don't think that I've seen any way to have multiple user accounts with separate settings.

Any ideas short of buying a second tablet or having the "why don't you trust me not to mess up and accidentally publish pictures of our dog to your company twitter account" argument? I mean, I could simply not configure all of my email and social media accounts on the tablet...but then what's the point of having this amazing, lightweight, powerful computing device?

ROM
    Bamf on HTC. Stock prime

Default Re: Multi-user capability

I agree. I was hoping this would be a feature in ICS. Sadly I don't believe it is.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Multi-user capability

I found this link talking about encrypted user profiles:
    Android Encrypted User Profile Howto

Looks like it has only been validated on the Nook, and it needs a rooted device and a terminal emulator to switch profiles, and it's basically a gigantic hack.

Seriously, this is based on Linux. It should support multiple users/profiles out of the box.