Tablet for reading/commenting on PDFs?

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I need some help. I'm in a position where I'm consuming a massive amount of content in PDF form. These PDFs are dense, often color, and full of tables, pictures, and diagrams. I would like to purchase a tablet to use to read these PDFs as I've found that my netbook isn't conducive to a "pleasant reading experience" while lounging on the couch or hanging out at $coffeeshop. Oh the problems we face today!

Here are my requirements:

1. I must be able to make comments within the PDF. I know this is app specific and not tablet specific, but from my understanding, some of the purpose-built tablets have certain restrictions for app installation. I just want to make sure there is a PDF reader available on the platform that allows this functionality.

2. I must be able to view the content on screen with minimal futzing. The zooming, un-zooming, moving around on a page just to be able to view a single page of content drives me crazy. I have no good reason for this to be a requirement. It just drives me nuts - it's like trying to view a non-mobile site on a phone.

3. I must be able to encrypt the storage on the device and "password protect" it (pattern, PIN, password, etc.). Some of the information I work with is sensitive and requirements (set by someone other than me) state that when the documents are stored on a portable device they must be encrypted.

4. It must be able to last on battery long enough for a coast-to-coast flight (five hours).

5. It must have Wi-Fi.

I'd rather not pay for things I don't need like cameras, a cell radio, etc. I'm sure if I get a full-feature tablet I will end up using it for other things, but that certainly isn't the point of getting the tablet nor would it be its primary purpose, so I don't care if it does those things well. I played around with a bunch of tablets last night at Best Buy, so I think I know what direction I need to go, but I just wanted to get some unbiased (ha!) opinions here before I buy anything.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

EDIT: I'll consider all price ranges, but I'd like to keep it around $400 if I can.

Last edited:

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
iPad, Playbook, the new Galaxy Tabs all read PDF's and offer encryption of some sort. Battery life is more then enough. The cheapest of the Three would be the playbook $300 for all size models.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12