Polaroid 7 inch tablet with ICS $99

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Big Lots has a Polaroid 7" tablet running ICS for $99 in current advertisement, specs from ad below. It's only single core, but I'm thinking for the price I'm going to grab one to play with and see how it compares to my Lenovo K1 and my Transformer Prime.

Keep in mind I get the ad from Big Lots a couple days early via e-mail.

Polaroid? 7" Android 4.0 Tablet
$99.99
Compare to:
$129.99
You Save:
23% [$30]
Advertised price good Saturday, April 21, through Saturday, April 28, 2012 or while quantities last.
Join the tablet revolution with this 7" touch screen tablet from Polaroid?

Product Features:

7" Capacitive, multi-touch display
Connect to the internet wirelessly (Wi-Fi)
Web browsing & e-mail
Watch videos
Wirelessly download apps and eBooks
Supports games
Store and play music, videos and pictures
Built-in speaker
4GB internal memory
Micro SD card slot (for additional memory)
Video out jack
Rechargeable Li-ion battery

Specifications:

Operating System: Android? 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Processor: 1GHz ARM Cortex A8
Graphics Accelerator: OpenGL ES 2.0 (3D game support)
Screen Resolution 800 x 480 (16:9)
Internal Memory: 4GB
External Memory: Micro SD
Networking: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Battery: Rechargeable Li-ion Polymer

Package Includes:

7" Internet Tablet
USB Cable
AC Charger
User Manual
SKU: 810010443

RocketJeff

May 19, 2010
Visit site
For the price, it sounds interesting - might get one to play around with and also use as an e-book reader/web browser.

There are a couple of threads on XDA-developers about polaroid tablets (mainly the PMID700), one of them has a link to a brief writeup of a new PMID701i - Polaroid 7 inch tablet getting an Android 4.0 upgrade - Liliputing.

Also, you said it would be available on Saturday (4/21). The Big Lots website has it listed in next week's ad - with dates of 4/22-2/28. Does subscribing to the email give early access to some/all of the weekly specials?

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Big Lots Rewards Members (free membership) get early access to items in "next weeks" flyer, typically getting access on the Saturday before general access is available on Sunday, though prior to major holidays I've seen Thursday and Friday access also.

randular

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine today at Big Lots for $99. So far, so good. My only other Android tablet was a Coby that I rooted running 2.2, and Ice Cream Sandwich seems quite a step up. In the same time of having the Coby(the past year), my daughter got an iPad, and I found myself admiring the pinch zoom features and the nice rendering of text on the device, and Ice Cream Sandwich goes a long way toward smoothing out Android into a more elegant OS. I like the standard USB charging on this device, and the build seems solid enough. Time from power on to login screen is about 25 seconds. The device came fully charged, and the WiFi has better range than the Coby device, still getting two 'bars' 40 feet and three walls from my CenturyLink router. Video seems smooth, built-in speaker ain't bad. Gets a little warm on the upper middle back surface. Very good screen response. Quick start guide takes you through WiFi setup and Amazon Appstore setup. The user 'manual' is in fact a huge poster, explaining the basics well enough. Pretty solid consumer item. Y'all go ahead and get busy, but I don't think I'm gonna root this one.

briangiles

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at getting that tomorrow - does it come with google play and all that jazz? I was reading that some of the tablets didn't have it.

Insomnix

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
This is not a Google authorized device, so it does not have Google Play. I purchased a Pandigital Planet from Big Lots last week for $119. It runs very smooth, but does not have Google Play either. However, there are many options. 4Shared, Amazon App Market, and a few others that may not be so legal. (ie: Applanet.) I read some reviews the Polaroid Tablet and I am am not sure if it will perform better. Since someone already got one, could you give us a full rundown of the device, such as game play, lag, etc. Thanks! I may go with a second tablet. Not sure.

randular

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Amazon Appstore is installed. I've installed a few apps off the Google Play website w/o incident. However, several apps have come up 'incompatible with this device.' ICS issue? Older App? Dunno. I'll install some games tonight. Anything in particular I should run/test?

Still having fun with it, haven't removed the factory screen protector yet, bought some iPad I protectors to custom cut.

Heschiple

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I JUST BOUGHT THIS SAME TABLET AT MY LOCAL BIG LOTS FOR 99.99 THIS POLARIOD TABLET IS SO FAR SO GOOD I BOUGHT FOR MY 5yr OLD AND SHE LOVES IT WE GOT HER SOME LEARNING GAMES FOR IT AND SHE LOVES IT AND IT'S A PERFECT SIZE AND NOT TO HEAVY FOR HER TO CARRY AROUND I DO NOT REGRET BUYING THIS TABLET IT'S PERFECT FOR HER THANK U

GoodIdeaLady

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Just bought my housemate/friend Polaroid 7" tablet with Ice Cream OS but the poster "user's manual" isn't much.... example: how do you set the time?

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just get a Nexus 7. It is $199 and you will save yourself YEARS of stress. How many crappy cheap chinese tablets does it take for people to stop buying them? They aren't from trusted brands, don't have google support, and people wonder why they suck?

RocketJeff

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Just get a Nexus 7. It is $199 and you will save yourself YEARS of stress. How many crappy cheap chinese tablets does it take for people to stop buying them? They aren't from trusted brands, don't have google support, and people wonder why they suck?

I agree completely - to a point. If someone's looking for a real, fully usable, tablet that they won't have to fuss too much with, they shouldn't be looking at the really low end. Anything near the $100 price point is almost sure to have some major failing.

OTOH, If the buyer is aware that they aren't getting a "great deal" and understands the limitations, it can be a workable solution.

My family has 4 tablets:
  • the 2 kids (high school & college) each have an Acer A500 (bought refurbished for around $270 each) - no problems, no hassles, just works.
  • my wife has a Nook Color (refurbished also) - dual boots between standard Nook OS and 'real' Android. Works great as a book reader and a low-end tablet for email and web browsing (what she wanted) . Minor initial hassle (making SD card, etc) but well worth the price for her.
  • I have the Polaroid tablet this thread is about. It works great for what I really wanted it for (ebook reader) and it gives me something to mess around with and play games on. I use my phone for web browsing, email, etc. Tried doing those on this tablet and the experience is much worse then my phone or the family's other tablets. I'm still satisfied.
The Polaroid would be a disaster for my wife and kids - they'd be frustrated and would probably stop using it. I think it would be the same for almost anyone who was non-technical.

For me, it works fine for what I'm using it for and it's (almost) disposable - makes it easier for me to justify playing around with the OS.

jtintle

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have one version of the Polaroid tablet. Using the stock firmware and Android, sucked. But after some fun trying different ROMs, I have to say this tablet runs much better with an unofficial port of Cm10, than it did with the stock GB or ICS.

Plus having tried to get better ROMs working, I now am trying to make my own ROM. The Allwinner A10 is almost unbrickable, so it's a lot easier to try stuff out on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Polaroid 701c tablet running Cm10

Jennifer Patterson

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you have the same tablet I have. Mine is the Polaroid 7" Internet Tablet with Android 4.0 operating system. The model number is 704. My son put a password on it and doesn't remember what he put. I have tried everything and cannot figure out what it is. Do you happen to know how to bypass that? I have not found my owner's manual to see if this can even be done. I thought if we had the same one you might have encountered this.

Thanks for any info,

NITWIT NOVICE

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought a POLAROID 7" Internet Tablet (powered with Android 4.0) + Tablet Accessory Kit ( includes: Stylus, Keyboard, Case, Earbuds, Cleaning Cloth, Screen Protector) for $ 69 at Bealls Department stores on a promotional sale.
I charged the 'thingy' but thereafter NOTHING happens. I mean NO IMAGE is displayed after initial FULL charge.
Tried contacting Polaroid via phone... and a recoding suggested to contact 'Southern Telecom' In order to get an answer to my problem I contacted them via email.
No answer....
IF ANYBODY on this forum has any helpful suggestions I sure would appreciate your input. THANKS !

Last edited:

NITWIT NOVICE

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you have the same tablet I have. Mine is the Polaroid 7" Internet Tablet with Android 4.0 operating system. The model number is 704. My son put a password on it and doesn't remember what he put. I have tried everything and cannot figure out what it is. Do you happen to know how to bypass that? I have not found my owner's manual to see if this can even be done. I thought if we had the same one you might have encountered this.

Jennifer Patterson,
the owners manual is available at this location:

User Manual - Southern Telecom

http://www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/downloads/PMID4300.pdf

7. Mini USB port. 8. microSD card slot. 9. Headphone jack. Location of controls. 1. 6. 7. 8. 9. 5. 4 ... one, please call. Polaroid Tablet Support at 1-877-768-8483.

Thanks for any info,