1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please help with new tablet!

Hello, this is my first post, and my first tablet. I am decently computer literate so I will try to explain things the best I can. I appreciate any help in advance and thank you.

Have a Proscan PLT7223g Tablet with Jellybean 4.1.1 - It has 8gb built in ram for storage, however, it seems to be running out of space after only installing a few apps for my son, even though it says it has over 5.15 gb free space. The storage screen is laid out as such:

Internal Storage:
    Total Space: 746mb
    Apps (app data and media content): 395mb
    Available: 82.86mb
    NAND Flash:
    Total Space: 5.28gb
    Apps (app data and media content): 132mb
    Pictures/Videos: 368kb
    Audio Files: 24.00kb
    Misc: 16.00kb
    Available: 5.15gb

Then it has some options to mount,unmount,erase SD card, or set up USB storage.

As you can see it appears to have over 5gb of available free internal storage, but I am getting alerts that I am out of space and can't install anything else. This may be a new guy question, but why is this happening? I realize it has to lock or allocate some stuff for system files, ect, but not 5gb. That's why I bought him the 8gb model as opposed to the 4gb. There appear to be no options to set it up to use this available space? I have never seen something so ridiculous as to have that much space you can't use. A 8gb storage that you can only use 746mb of? There has to be a way to use that free space. Also if I buy a 32gb micro for more storage will I have this same problem?

I am really stumped here. Can anyone please give me a helping hand? I really want to load this thing up for my son for Christmas with all the stuff he's been wanting. Again thank you in advance. And I am literate but in no way a computer whiz or anything, so the simpler the better in explanations for me please.

Default Re: Please help with new tablet!

Well that tablet is list as only having 4gb of space on Newegg.com. If that is true than there is only about 3.6 gb left after format than 2gb will be used by the OS plus bloatware if there is any. So 746mb sounds about right.

As for adding SDcards for additional space. It will not increase the space for apps. Sdcards are for stuff like mp3, photos, videos, etc.

Where did you buy the device? I would consider returning it since you didn't get an 8gb model.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks but as I said I did get the 8gb model. There is a 4gb and an 8gb model and the model number for them is the same. I also listed the amount of free space the screen showed above, so it's definitely 8gb. It has just over 5gb free prior to adding any sd cards. (can add up to a 32gb as per manufacturer)

I understand that but mistakes are made and in most cases the cheap tabs just have a internal sdcard and the wrong one or even a faulty one may of been installed during assembly. So your first choice should be to return it because if your right and there isn't much installed then something you cant fix is wrong.

It is not uncommon with cheap sdcards ordered through the internet to show for example a 32gb sdcard as 32gb total but only 8gb free while empty. Thats why I ask where did you buy it.

P.S. I assume you already did a factory reset to try and fix this yourself.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It was purchased from best buy I believe (wife) for our son, and I have done everything I could find to do. It shows as I said 8gb of internal memory, with 5.15gb free. It looks however like it may have a partition or something set up for 746mb that everything downloads and installs to. Can't seem to be able to move anything or install anything to the 5gb free space. I don't know if it is in truth another partition, but that is what it seems to be behaving as. I don't have much experience with android systems.

Android has a few partitions and yes the /system and /data are different partitions. The internal space on that tablet looks to be 746mb for apps and the NAND Flash is the other 5.28gb. All thats left is 82.86mb for more apps. If the unit had Ice-cream sandwich instead of JellyBean you would have an option to move apps to SD and free up some space. Also remember you need double the space needed for an app to install it. Room to download then room to install it to because it can't erase the download till the install is finished.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So I can't move the apps into the 5gb NFLASH area? That is very deceptive to sell something as advertised with 8gb storage and you can't use it. If I buy a 32gb memory card, will I be able to install the future apps to it? Also, if you can't install things to the NFLASH space, what good is it? As I said, selling you 8gb storage and allowing you only 746mb is beyond deceptive.

You can use the NAND flash for anything but apps. Photos, music, pictures, movies, App save data, etc. Cheap tablets cut corners in costs and one of the main ones is memory. The base memory is expensive because it has to be fast. The cheaper you go the more deceptive they get.

Please believe me I am with you on the deceptive nature of the US market. In China/Japan they market these types of tablets as "MID" tablets. Which stands for "Mobile Internet Device" because that is about all they do is browse the web. There isn't enough memory to support more than a handful of apps.
    Last edited by zedorda; 12-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

That is such a shame, it seems to be a really well built device, it's fast, and we have had zero issues. I just hope that if I buy a 32gb memory card that at least can be used for storing apps. My son is only into apps and games.

Hi, curious as to what you did. I am having the same issue with my son's tablet and am guessing it's because it is a cheaper one that they set up the storage the way they did. Debating on sending it back since they are techy and have a BYOT program at their school.

Angry Re: Please help with new tablet!

I had a similar problem, I realized you have to "mount the NAND flash in order for apps to go in there. After i mounted the NAND flash, almost all my app info went in there automatically. I'm not the best tech person in the world but I did notice a HUGE problem. Under my app manager the NAND flash is labled under SDCARD for some strange reason, possibly a coding error?? So basically it shows my NAND flash space as my sdcard, its very, very confusing if you have an sd card in your tablet, because now in that case you can not move apps to your real, true sd card.... You should always be able to put apps on your sd card I don't understand why someone is saying otherwise...like I said I'm NOT a tech person, but I did notice something terribly wrong when it came to using a sdcard with this device if you look in your storage it will show the internal, nand and sd card amounts. so when I reference those amount in the app manager, that's how I can see my sd card isn't recognized as the real one, instead it is recognizing the NAND flash.