Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Media Tablet??

Hello everyone! I am in the market for a new tablet this year and it has been quite frustrating. I got the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (first gen) last year as my first tablet. It was actually quite a great tablet to use other than the fact that the screen resolution was just poor. So I am looking to upgrade..

Here is what I am looking at..

Price range: $700 or less

Size: No less than 10 inch.

Basically I just want a tablet for media consumption and nothing more. Such as movies, web browsing, and music. Below are the tablets I have showed the most interest in so far.

Nexus 10: Originally the tablet I wanted last year and wish I would have got it. However now, the tablet is aging and I have heard rumors that the line may be discontinued all together. However it's the cheapest tablet for what I want and should do the job. My fear is either support for it being dropped in the near future or being blindsided by a new Nexus 10 in a few months. The other major drawback is no SD card slot.

Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2: The most expensive and yet the largest screen with a resolution of a Nexus 10. This tablet also has the option for MicroSD which would be great for video and audio files. Touchwiz and the bloatware that everyone complains about is really no issue to me as it never bothered me with my Galaxy Note 10.1. I have no use for a S pen so the tab pro is where I want to be. A huge screen seems wonderful for media and seems really exciting. But yet I hear negative of the tab series though this tablet has not been released yet. Also the price factor is quite high. $649

Ipad Air: Never owned or used an apple product, so this would be completely new to me and would not guarantee if I would like it or not. But I have considered it.

Any advice for just a simple media consumption tablet would be great!!

Thanks!

Default Re: Best Media Tablet??

If you just want one for media consumption, then I wouldn't be too concerned about future support, and besides, I'd still estimate that Google will continue to support the Nexus 10 with updates for the next 1-2 years anyway. The Nexus 10 is probably your best bet, and now is a good time to buy one, since prices are falling. You're correct in that a new N10 might be around the corner, but in keeping with Nexus devices, it almost certainly won't have a microSD card slot either. SD cards would only be useful if you wanted to store lots of music or videos locally.

IceMonkey.com currently has the 32 GB N10 (new, not refurbished) for $360, and the 16 GB version for $330, which are pretty decent deals for non-refurbished devices. Free shipping, too!
    Icemonkey: Deals 'Till Sold Out: Electronics, Home & Garden, Jewelry, Toys & More

Global Posts
    8,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Of the three mentioned, my vote is for the Tab Pro 12.2
    Not a fan of the iPad even though I have one

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

I have a bunch of tablets, a kid at heart, Asus has been the source for a few and none of them ever gave me a problem. I surf Web, watch movies, listen to music, same as you. I ordered a Galaxy note pro 12.2 yesterday with 64gb hdd and I'll install Netflix, Vudu, Hulu first thing because every review I've seen says the display is magnificent. My first Samsung and a twelve inch note to boot.... I'm pumped, biggest screen for me as its fun to watch stuff on a tablet go note pro.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app