ExxonMobil Speedpass+ - AVOID

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
A little background, Speedpass is ExxonMobil's contact-less payment system. You get a little RFID tag for your keyring that you wave at a particular spot on the pump and it registers your account, then you pump gas. You have a card pre-registered to your account for your purchase. This only works at Exxon or Mobil stations so you'd need to be in their sales area (mostly east coast or Northeast I believe).

I figured I'd try the Speedpass+ program, I already use a Speedpass (www.speedpass.com) so I figured why not. The app is a battery HOG, I never even signed up in the app and it was the #1 battery user the following day.

The app uses location to determine what station you're at, you give it the pump number once you verify the station, then it authorizes and activates the pump to dispense gas. Once you're done you can have it deliver your receipt to your device or print to the pump.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What's the point of the app and how is it better/simpler/easier to use than the key fob?

We've had Speedpasses for years but don't use them much anymore as Exxon/Mobil is now a bit overpriced in our area. Instead, we use the Cumberland Farms app which not only is totally contactless (it talks to the pump directly over an Internet connection - or you can do it inside the store if necessary) but also gets you a 10cents per gallon discount on what is already nearly the cheapest gas in our area.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Mobil is somewhat comparable in price in my area. I honestly don't go driving all over town looking for the lowest price, I'll spend as much in gas as I'd end up saving.

I also have Cumberland Farms but had a fraudulent charge on my card after pumping there once, plus the one closest to me is a PAIN to get into and out of. Because of the fraudulent charge from there I'm VERY hesitant to use the check-link from them.

I think the Speedpass+ app is similar to the CF app, the app knows your location so it knows what station you're at, you put the pump number into the app and it talks to the pump to authorize the charge.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mobil is somewhat comparable in price in my area. I honestly don't go driving all over town looking for the lowest price, I'll spend as much in gas as I'd end up saving.

I also have Cumberland Farms but had a fraudulent charge on my card after pumping there once, plus the one closest to me is a PAIN to get into and out of. Because of the fraudulent charge from there I'm VERY hesitant to use the check-link from them.

I think the Speedpass+ app is similar to the CF app, the app knows your location so it knows what station you're at, you put the pump number into the app and it talks to the pump to authorize the charge.

We've been using Cumberland since it first became available - seems like probably a couple of years now. Never a bad charge (I monitor all my accounts closely; I would know if something wasn't kosher). As for convenience, I have a Cumberland store directly across the street from my office, another less than 1/2 mile from my home, and at least one more that I pass by every morning enroute from my gym to my office.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz