Galaxy Note 4's fingerprint reader, Lollipop, and MobileIron

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded to a Galaxy Note 4 (running KitKat the day I got it). When I installed MobileIron and TouchDown (my company's email solution package), I of course got the message that I would need to set a password to lock my device. I dutifully did, and settled down to the drudgery of entering a password every 15 minutes for the rest of my life again. :p

Then came Lollipop. I was noodling around in the security settings about a week after I upgraded, and lo and behold the fingerprint reader became an option! I trained it and all was happy and joyful in me-land.

After about a week, though, Lollipop got a little sour on me and I did a factory reset to try and clear it up. Sure enough, the factory reset fixed my problems - but - but - now the fingerprint reader is no longer an option. I haz a sad. :'(

Is anyone aware of any setting that would allow me to use the fingerprint reader again? Something in Knox that I missed, maybe? My IT department doesn't seem to mind if it works, they just don't have a setting in MobileIron on the Android side that can turn on fingerprint readers specifically since, of course, there is no standard fingerprint reader implementation that spans more than one manufacturer.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Where was the setting, in the MobileIron app? (settings/passcode) or in the Andriod settings? I have MobileIron and a GS6. It lets me use fingerprint to unlock the device, but still have to enter a password for MobileIron.

When I had the Note 4, (Kit Kat), Having Mobile Iron installed required a password (every 10 minutes in my case) to unlock the device and a password to unlock Mobile Iron.

Tell me where you saw the setting and I will be happy to look

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The setting is on the phone. We use Touchdown for email and there is no separate password for it. Mobileiron enforces a password for the entire device.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, my misunderstanding. We use Divide as the email client. so the rules for locking the device and the rules for access to email are different. So we require a password when the device locks (10 minute max) but that password can be the fingerprint scanner. Then we have a forced password (complex) to access the email client. Yours sounds more user friendly.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess in a way. One password for all, but it's a complex one with a 15 minute max timeout. So I have to unlock to do anything.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Update: Upgraded to 5.1.1 and Knox 2.4.1, and MobileIron pushed out a new version that supports fingerprint reader in that combination, and... nothing. Still not fingerprint. (sad face)

Oh, well.

underr

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I know it's bit overdue but was facing same issue with my Galaxy S6.

It seems Samsung-own fingerprint API doesn't work with MobileIron app. Right now I have Marshmallow beta installed and I am happy to report it works fine - looks like MobileIron is supporting Android API and Samsung moved to it with Android 6.0

So just be patient :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

It seems Samsung-own fingerprint API doesn't work with MobileIron app. Right now I have Marshmallow beta installed and I am happy to report it works fine - looks like MobileIron is supporting Android API and Samsung moved to it with Android 6.0

Thanks for that. Maybe there's hope after all. Looks like my company wants to move to InTune now so now it's a race... My company adopting InTune or AT&T releasing Marshmallow... LOL

Myrat123

May 24, 2016
Visit site

I know this is an old thread but this is the only one I can find on the internet that discusses this issue. So I hope you can help answer my question.

My company uses mobile iron + Divide for email. When I access the email or calendar app, I'm prompted a separate pass code in a window titled "secure apps manager". I hate that procedure and would love to switch a phone that would support fingerprint unlocking the secure apps (Divide email client).

Is your company using mobileiron + divide as well and are you saying you could use fingerprint to unlock the divide app (not just the Android system)? If so, I'll happily buy a Android 6 phone and try it out. Thanks a lot!