American Going to Uni in Canada

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm going to university next fall in Canada and I was wondering if you guys had any carrier recommendations. I like wind mobile's offer of free US roaming, especially since I'll be going back and forth quite a bit. Also, could it be cheaper to keep my American Contract and just expand it with a Canada add-on or something?
Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

jdmorin

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmm no one replied?!? Well here are my two cents..

Canadian carrier plans are high compared to what you can get in the US.

Telus offers unlimited nationwide minutes. Most only offer 1gb data at a 'low' rate...

I pay 55 a month for unlimited anytime Nationwide minutes. 3gb (it's supposed to be 1 but telus had a promotion going on). Unlimited text. Voicemail. Caller Id.

I upgraded my phone today and they let me renew my plan at my old rate.. Otherwise I'd be paying ten dollars a month extra and only have 1gb.

Rogers and Bell have similarly priced plans (Rogers is more expensive for the same data).

I swore I read an article that said.. I think it was verizon... Made a deal to waive all roaming charges in Canada. You should see what US carrier has that going on.. That might be your best bet.

Posted via Android Central App

JP4R

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
If you're within WIND's coverage area, I'd highly recommend them over the "big 3" carriers (Bell/TELUS/Rogers). Much better pricing and features.

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I disagree. I'm with Fido and not only did they sell my number to a bunch of telemarketers (they started calling me the day after I got the phone), their prices are just as bad as the other carriers.