I dropped my HTC Desire 616 and now it's stuck on the welcome screen?

A

AC Question

Okay, so I bought my phone in 2014 and since then I've dropped it a few times. In Jan '16, it even had some water damage after I spilled some on it accidentally. Since then, it has been randomly restarting and even when it does that more often than not, it gets stuck on the booting screen. So what I'd taken to doing is to take the battery, SD card and SIM cards out for a while and then reboot. It would take a few tries sometimes.
So while I've been having this problem, I dropped my phone an hour or so ago and now it won't go past the welcome screen. I pressed the volume down and power off buttons simultaneously to get a screen that gave me three options : recovery, fastboot and normal mode. I selected normal mode, didn't work. Now I'm letting it stay stuck on the welcome screen so that I can at least drain it.
What should I do if I charge it after it drains and it still won't work? It's most likely a hardware issue, right? And I haven't saved my phone contacts, how do I recover them in that case?
I'm panicking , please help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you still get back to the HBOOT screen? If so, can you select Recovery, and then try wiping the cache partition? The steps should be similar to the M8: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10672

If it doesn't work, and you didn't backup your contacts and other data anywhere else (or save your contacts to your Google account instead of the local Phone account), then you're out of luck. In the future, if you notice your phone starting to malfunction, that should prompt you to make sure all of your important data is backed up or synced somewhere. Mobile devices and mobile storage don't last forever.

Cersei27

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello, thank you for your reply!
Yes, it's stuck on the htc welcome screen but I can access the recovery mode option. But would selecting recovery mode help if it's a hardware issue? Should I still go for it?
Oh, is there no way? :( Yes, pretty silly of me to not back my data up. I've learnt my lesson the hard way now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can wipe the cache partition, it's worth trying, because that won't erase any personal data.