My plugin headset with microphone doesn't work with my LG Volt. How can I find if other devices has a four pin jack before i buy one?

A

AC Question

My plugin headset with microphone doesn't work with my LG Volt.

I can listen with ordinary stereo buds but when I plug in my headset for VoiP the sound still comes out of the Volt speaker and the headset mic doesn't work.

Does this phone have a regular 4 pin 3.5mm jack? And how can I find out if other phones and tablets have the four pin jack before I buy one?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My plugin headset with microphone doesn't work with my LG Volt.

Welcome to Android Central! Are the headphones "Made for iPhone"? Those can sometimes have subtle incompatibilities with Android devices.

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: My plugin headset with microphone doesn't work with my LG Volt.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not made for Apple. They work on my friend's Samsung tablet.

I suspect that LG left out the audio-in function. There should be a couple of volts between pins 3 and 4 on the 3.5mm jack. When I plug in a 4 pin to 4 pin cord to the jack I only measure 3/4 of a volt.

With there was somewhere to look up serious specs like this on various devices.

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Haven't tried the air thing but it's a new phone. Maybe I'll crack it open and have a look.

The link you sent to a user guide seems to be broken. Can you check it out please?

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Opened it up and it does have the four conductor jack. Just a bad connection of some sort. The vendor is going to exchange the phone for another unit.

Thanks to all for the help.

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Further complications. A friend came by with an identical LG Volt and it behaves the same way as mine. No audio in through the 3.5mm jack.
Irritating.

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I went through the user guide at that link. Well written and lots of stuff that wasn't in my tiny one.

But I can't find any reference in it to the headset jack and/or using a microphone. If you get a chance, have a look at tell me where to look.

Thanks,

Mike

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On pg 16 of the PDF, it says, "3.5 mm Headset Jack allows you to plug in either a stereo headset or an optional headset for convenient, hands-free conversations." The hands-free part should imply that it is compatible with headphones with a mic, since if it didn't support a mic, you'd still have to hold the phone in your hand and speak into the phone's mic, which would not make it hands free.

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Found it (on pg. 7 of the downloaded PDF I'm looking at). Thanks!

Now I am wondering if TextNow, the provider whom I bought the two phones from, managed to get LG to make a phone without this feature.

Both phones have the same behavior. Every other Android device I have managed to get my hands on has this thing. When I plug a four pin to four pin connector cable into the jack, I measure about 1.7 volts from pins three to four (counting from the tip) with the negative on pin three (ground). This is supposed to be an industry standard. I opened up one phone and there appears to be four conductors on the jack.

On these two phones I only get .7 volts which is about the same as the audio out pins (R and L on one and two with ground on three). And on other devices when I plug in a cord the speakers go dead. With these phones, the speakers keep on working as though the phones are not detecting the cord.

What I am trying to do is interface these phones with a ham radio set for some digital communications. This is a proven application and the hardware works on many other phones and tablets.

I suspect it is my personal curse working as usual. I've ordered up a fifty dollar used Samsung tablet to do some comparative testing.

The help desk at TextNow is bollixed by the idea of anything this technical but have been nice enough to offer to swap me for another unit. I will await the tablet and decide then.

Of course of anyone has enlightenment, please chime in!!

mcolyar

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
To close out this thread, the two LG VOLTs I have do not support a headset with a microphone. I bought an older Samsung tablet and it does have the right voltage between pins three and four to power a headset (pin one being the end of the plug). And I've been wandering about with my patch cord and a V.O.M. testing every Android phone I could get my hands on. All are set up for a microphone. Cheap bastards. Oh, well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2