Getting Started with J1 Ace (SM-J111F)

heickelrrx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
hi there

I just get from the Galaxy J1 Ace (SM-J111F) my aunt this is my first android phone,

previously I'm using nokia Lumia 625(RM-943) I've successfully migrate my whole contact to my new phone, installing basic apps such fb line, whatsapp ect, so far the devices perform well and I'm quiet happy on it

the thing is I'm confused with some application such as
Email and GMAIL
Internet and Google Chrome
Gallery And Photo

one of them seems made by Samsung and the other from google, having 2 apps with the same function seems waste of space and memory but both can't be removed, is there any way to do so?

oh yeah I tried swiftkey keyboard apps, personally I love it, but will it slow down my phone later? or I should stick with the default one?

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
the thing is I'm confused with some application such as
Email and GMAIL
Internet and Google Chrome
Gallery And Photo

one of them seems made by Samsung and the other from google, having 2 apps with the same function seems waste of space and memory but both can't be removed, is there any way to do so?

This is pretty common on any non-Nexus phone. The Email app is an email client, where you can add email accounts from any kind of email provider, while the Gmail app until recently could only show your Gmail (but now it can act as a more fully functional email client for non-Gmail accounts). Internet and Gallery are Samsung's stock apps, while Chrome and Google Photos are part of Google's suite of apps. Since these are all preinstalled apps, you can't remove them--you can only Disable them in the App Manager.

These various apps have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. For example, the Internet browser might be a bit faster than Chrome and take up less storage, but it probably doesn't sync bookmarks and browsing history with your desktop Chrome browser and Google account. The stock Gallery app might have some editing features that Google Photos doesn't have, but it won't be seamlessly integrated with the Google Photos cloud.

heickelrrx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
oh I see, too bad they can't be removed, and for the disable thing, is there any different than simply left it alone? do they have any background task or something

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some apps might work in the background occasionally. If the app gets updated, it'll get larger as well, since updated versions are almost always larger than the factory-installed version. So disabling the app can potentially save you some internal storage.

The only way to remove apps like this is to root the phone (i.e., gain superuser status), but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have more experience, since there's more risk of bricking the phone if you do the wrong thing.

heickelrrx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
uh Ok I'll try to look about rooting later, I've experience flashing ROM on windows phone so I don't think the process will be really different,

oh yeah I was trying to disable GMAIL apps, but suddenly the playstore stopped working corrently, is that normal? is there any other google apps that safe to be disabled? since I don't really use most of it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of disabling Gmail leading to problems with the Play Store. Or are you talking about disabling various Google apps? Don't disable Google Play Services, if that's what you mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy