WiFi b/g

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I was seriously going back and forth trying to figure out which watch to get. I ordered a Urbane a while back and returned it with the expectation I would get the 360 once it was updated or the Huawei watch. Looking over google play I saw what I believe is a little bit of a startling spec.

Simply put google play lists it specifically as only supporting wireless b/g. Is this true. Everyplace I look that is confirmed. That effectively means wifi on the watch is pretty much completely useless. Almost all modern routers will refuse to allow it to connect because the wireless security options that are compatible with b/g have long been abandoned for better options.

The only alternative may be to slow down your home network and make it less secure by enabling old security schemes that are forced off by default.

Does anyone have anything to contradict this.

Posted via the Android Central App

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok and which watch are you referring to since the moto 360 2015 isn't released yet.

All of the other Android wear watch just say 'WiFi' and don't specify what version of the wifi spec they support. The new moto 360 is the only one I have seen call it out. Which is why I am concerned.

**edit** I did a bit more research on the 802.11g standard. From what I can tell G was the one that spans the 3 security techs that got us to were we are today. I guess that means it should be a rather minor issue. Basically if you had a old G only device it may not support WPA2 which is what gives full performance today to other devices attached to todays N or AC routers. There could still be a performance hit, but a modern device that is G only and made today should have support for WPA2. Being it is based on android that should be true.

Still frustrating to have to enable g for a devices that isn't even released yet. G is a 11 year old wifi spec. I guess I will weigh that in my decision.

Last edited:

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You need to do more research into IEEE 802.11 spec....B...G...A...N...ac While the security methods are described in these specs, they don't really vary by letter designation per se...the differences one to the next are about the radios and the frequencies and the modulation used for performance gains... The number of streams in us and absorbs.... The channel plans... and the speeds at which data passes. Example link below...do you really expect your watch to pull or push data faster than 54Mb/s?? What's your internet speed for goodness sakes...are you connected to I2 at 10Gb/s or something? Come on.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-G-N-and-AC-wireless-routers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton