My amazon review that wasn't. . .

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wrote up this up as my amazon review of my Moto 360 (2015), but then was sad to not find any 2015's listed on Amazon.

Anyway, here it is.

"Here's my Amazon review of my new Moto 360 (2015 edition) super-smart watch. In a word: "It's AMAZING!" If you’re in the market for a smart watch for yourself or as a gift, here’s a few thought’s I’d like to share.

1. A super important feature is a light sensor so the watch knows when to turn up the brightness to max (e.g. outdoors), vs. when to have brightness low (at night). The moto 360 has such a sensor while most other watches do not. If your watch doesn’t have the sensor, you will need to fuss with the menus to adjust brightness – that seems terrible and something that would drive me nuts every day and night!

2. Always-on mode. The new crop of Android smart watches have battery capacity to support “Screen Always On” mode. That means when you are not actively fussing with the watch, the display doesn’t turn off (just is less bright). That means you can glance down and see the time (what a novel idea)! In contrast, an apple watch goes dark when not actively using it. The 2015 Moto 360 can indeed last a full day even when set to always have the screen on. I typically end up with 33% left and I assure you: I’m a heavy watch user!

3. When looking at pictures of smart watches online, the watch face backgrounds are often black to hide the actual size of the screen vs. the surrounding area (bezel). The picture below shows actual bezel sizes for various watches. The Moto has a HUGE screen to bezel ratio (a good thing), (though it does have that “flat-tire” area at the bottom for the light sensor and other electronics. To have a light sensor, I’ll accept the black area at the bottom of the circle.

4. Android watches are really customizable. Pictured below is my bubble layout I designed from scratch using the “bubble wear launcher”
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=dyna.logix.bookmarkbubbles&token=urxuIfFV . You can pick the apps, bubble sizes, functions, etc. I have a giant mic bubble for voice commands so I don’t have to say: “ok google”. I also have a live fitness step-count and live weather bubbles right on my watch face!

5. The moto is one really nice looking watch. I get compliments about it often. Maybe people ask if it’s an apple watch, which makes me chuckle.

6. Not unique but nonetheless really cool: you can talk to your wrist to dictate replies to text messages, or even add things to your “to-do” list with voice. When someone calls or texts, it’s displayed on your watch so you don’t have to dig out your smart phone just to see who is contacting you. The Moto 360 is not a phone: though you can see who’s calling, you can’t have a conversation with your wrist. You can, however, dismiss the call which is really handy!

7. I really enjoy how it counts your steps, offers encouragement to walk more, and can even measure your heart rate.

8. I custom configured and pre-ordered mine directly from Motorola. You can pick the bezel, body color, finishes, straps, etc.

9. Here’s a pretty detailed review if you want to geek out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjBF-MIQHH8

10. If you want to play around with the custom watch builder to design your own moto 360, you can do so here: Moto 360 - Android Smartwatch - Motorola

11. In summary, I’m in love! I have used a Pebble Time for a few months and there is simply no comparison. The 2015 edition of the Moto 360: two thumbs up!

12. If this was out in the summer, I would have gotten HughE this instead of the Pebble Time which is much less fancy, but still great for displaying calls/text & time on his wrist. Maybe next year, I’ll get the Moto 361 and give HughE my moto 360.
"

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I wrote up this up as my amazon review of my Moto 360 (2015), but then was sad to not find any 2015's listed on Amazon.

Anyway, here it is.

"Here's my Amazon review of my new Moto 360 (2015 edition) super-smart watch. In a word: "It's AMAZING!" If you’re in the market for a smart watch for yourself or as a gift, here’s a few thought’s I’d like to share.

1. A super important feature is a light sensor so the watch knows when to turn up the brightness to max (e.g. outdoors), vs. when to have brightness low (at night). The moto 360 has such a sensor while most other watches do not. If your watch doesn’t have the sensor, you will need to fuss with the menus to adjust brightness – that seems terrible and something that would drive me nuts every day and night!

2. Always-on mode. The new crop of Android smart watches have battery capacity to support “Screen Always On” mode. That means when you are not actively fussing with the watch, the display doesn’t turn off (just is less bright). That means you can glance down and see the time (what a novel idea)! In contrast, an apple watch goes dark when not actively using it. The 2015 Moto 360 can indeed last a full day even when set to always have the screen on. I typically end up with 33% left and I assure you: I’m a heavy watch user!

3. When looking at pictures of smart watches online, the watch face backgrounds are often black to hide the actual size of the screen vs. the surrounding area (bezel). The picture below shows actual bezel sizes for various watches. The Moto has a HUGE screen to bezel ratio (a good thing), (though it does have that “flat-tire” area at the bottom for the light sensor and other electronics. To have a light sensor, I’ll accept the black area at the bottom of the circle.

4. Android watches are really customizable. Pictured below is my bubble layout I designed from scratch using the “bubble wear launcher”
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=dyna.logix.bookmarkbubbles&token=nCi1BCTh . You can pick the apps, bubble sizes, functions, etc. I have a giant mic bubble for voice commands so I don’t have to say: “ok google”. I also have a live fitness step-count and live weather bubbles right on my watch face!

5. The moto is one really nice looking watch. I get compliments about it often. Maybe people ask if it’s an apple watch, which makes me chuckle.

6. Not unique but nonetheless really cool: you can talk to your wrist to dictate replies to text messages, or even add things to your “to-do” list with voice. When someone calls or texts, it’s displayed on your watch so you don’t have to dig out your smart phone just to see who is contacting you. The Moto 360 is not a phone: though you can see who’s calling, you can’t have a conversation with your wrist. You can, however, dismiss the call which is really handy!

7. I really enjoy how it counts your steps, offers encouragement to walk more, and can even measure your heart rate.

8. I custom configured and pre-ordered mine directly from Motorola. You can pick the bezel, body color, finishes, straps, etc.

9. Here’s a pretty detailed review if you want to geek out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjBF-MIQHH8

10. If you want to play around with the custom watch builder to design your own moto 360, you can do so here: Moto 360 - Android Smartwatch - Motorola

11. In summary, I’m in love! I have used a Pebble Time for a few months and there is simply no comparison. The 2015 edition of the Moto 360: two thumbs up!

12. If this was out in the summer, I would have gotten HughE this instead of the Pebble Time which is much less fancy, but still great for displaying calls/text & time on his wrist. Maybe next year, I’ll get the Moto 361 and give HughE my moto 360.
"

Excellent review. You covered all the bases very nicely.