Moto 360: $249?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola's holding a Moto 360 design contest. https://plus.google.com/communities/100528130097464336279

In the official rules document:

PRIZES: One (1) grand prize winner will receive a Moto 360 (ARV $249). Nine (9) runner-up winners will receive one (1) $50 Google Play gift card (ARV $50). Both the grand prize winner and runner-up winners entries may be used by Motorola in its sole discretion as a watch face for the Moto 360 and in any marketing, advertising and any other promotional activities by Motorola. The total ARV of all available prizes in the Promotion is $699. Only the prizes specified in the numbers indicated will be awarded. Prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemption or equivalent. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component of equal or greater value should a prize or any component of a prize become unavailable. Except as specifically provided herein, Prize packages do not include insurance, personal expenses, incidental charges, gratuities, or any other items not specifically described in these Official Rules. All applicable taxes and usage charges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner. If required by law, Sponsor or its agents shall require payment from winner of taxes to be remitted to the appropriate taxing authorities. Sponsor expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for injury or loss to any person or property relating to the delivery and/or subsequent use of prizes awarded. Sponsor makes no representation or

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The sad thing is some are saying it's still more than they want to pay. I'd understand if they aren't really into an accessory like a smartwatch. But if they are, and consider paying $250 for a device with quality design and materials too much, they're in for disappointment for the near future.

I think what's really causing this line of thinking, and I've seen this in some of the comments about this story, is carrier subsidies. A few people said "Why would I pay $250 for a smartwatch when I can get a high end phone for $200. They don't seem to realize that they're still paying the full retail of the device (around $500-$650), it's just built into the price of their monthly bill. That's why these new plans coming out where you bring your own device offers lower monthly costs (on most carriers anyway). And the reason they offer subsidies on smart phones and not on accessories like smartwatches is, first the retail is about twice as much for a smartphone, and second the carriers make money from the required data that gets tacked on to a smartphone plan. Smarwatches connect to the phone via Bluetooth, and carriers can't charge for that. So for them it's a one time sale with no money collected on the back end. If they could charge for data or use a smartwatch to extend a contract, then maybe they'd subsidize them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola's holding a Moto 360 design contest. https://plus.google.com/communities/100528130097464336279

In the official rules document:

Looks like the document was recently updated.

PRIZES: One (1) grand prize winner will receive a Moto 360 (ARV $249).* Actual suggested retail price at launch may be substantially different. Nine (9) runner-up winners will receive one (1) $50 Google Play gift card (ARV $50). Both the grand prize winner and runner-up winners entries may be used by Motorola in its sole discretion as a watch face for the Moto 360 and in any marketing, advertising and any other promotional activities by Motorola. The total ARV of all available prizes in the Promotion is $699. Only the prizes specified in the numbers indicated will be awarded. Prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemption or equivalent. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component of equal or greater value should a prize or any component of a prize become unavailable. Except as specifically provided herein, Prize packages do not include insurance, personal expenses, incidental charges, gratuities, or any other items not specifically described in these Official Rules. All applicable taxes and usage charges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner. If required by law, Sponsor or its agents shall require payment from winner of taxes to be remitted to the appropriate taxing authorities. Sponsor expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for injury or loss to any person or property relating to the delivery and/or subsequent use of prizes awarded. Sponsor makes no representation or warranties concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded.

*ARV for unreleased products is furnished for tax purposes. Actual suggested retail price at launch may be substantially different.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
f that's the case then I might go for this instead of the Pebble Steel. The Moto 360 will have an always on screen like the Pebble right?

From everything I've read on it, it won't be always on. Pebble is a monochrome screen I believe, but to have an always on full color screen, it'd be lucky to last a day. I'd imagine Motorola will use what they've learned with last years phones, like Active Display, to activate the display. So I'd bet on it either being motion or gesture activated, like the twist to activate gesture for their phones.