Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalvin Kerns
  • 2 Post By vzwuser76
  • 1 Post By Aglet
  • 1 Post By Aglet
  • 2 Post By ddot196
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Ho hum design

    Anyone else disappointed by this uninspired round design? Big round watch display... I understand that the reason is so it doesn't look like a smart watch, but if I buy a smart watch it's because I don't want a regular watch and expect it to look different. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer. Oh well just my thoughts.

    Posted via Android Central App
    tachyon1 likes this.
  2. #2  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,711 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,726 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    Anyone else disappointed by this uninspired round design? Big round watch display... I understand that the reason is so it doesn't look like a smart watch, but if I buy a smart watch it's because I don't want a regular watch and expect it to look different. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer. Oh well just my thoughts.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I quite like the design. It looks classy!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Triangle?
    original00 and efo_r like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
    Triangle?
    I was thinking more a wrap around design with a curved display.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    I was thinking more a wrap around design with a curved display.

    Posted via Android Central App


    So you'd have to twist your arm all around to read your entire text?
  6. #6  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,711 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,726 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    So you'd have to twist your arm all around to read your entire text?
    Maybe the text could scroll in a marquee-esque way?

    Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    I think many will like the design. It's minimalist in bezel and buttons while retaining the traditional watch shape. Perhaps if it's successful later models will come out in, say, 24k gold. Others may prefer a rectangular shape, like the LG or Samsung Android Wear products now available. I'd go for round, I have a dozen or so watches and all have round dials, but that's my preference.
    wizzrah likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    The button is slightly silly, functionality-wise, but I think it's a good design move. The circular shape is gorgeous, but it needed something to break it up and make it more than just a round slab. Plus, it gives the whole thing a classier look; hearkening back to the days of winding watches. It seems to have heritage, even though it's the first of its kind.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    The button, or crown, turns the display on if you elect to have the watch in power saving mode, so there is function as well as form. Maybe in the final release of the Moto 360 it will do something else as well; perhaps lock the screen so dangling shirt cuffs do not change the current item being displayed.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Yeah, but I'm speaking aesthetically. It needs a button, but it could have been nearly invisible and done the same things. Instead it's a major design feature.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    yah, the button is designed around the old winding nob thing on the side of mechanical watches, I think it actually got a bit shorter than it did in the original images and so looks less likely to dig into your hand

    oh, I get it now what you guys mean by curved display, but rather than an actual curved display what might work better is having the glass surface be slight curved (like the old Nexus S, sort of)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Aglet View Post
    I think many will like the design. It's minimalist in bezel and buttons while retaining the traditional watch shape. Perhaps if it's successful later models will come out in, say, 24k gold. Others may prefer a rectangular shape, like the LG or Samsung Android Wear products now available. I'd go for round, I have a dozen or so watches and all have round dials, but that's my preference.
    Oh I'm sure they'll sell tons. My issue is that round simply doesn't fit my own personal idea of smart watch style. How many round computer screens have you seen? Just seems weird to me to use a round computer screen. Perhaps it'll feel natural, I won't know until I try it.

    In addition I believe it'll end up being inefficient and having a lot of wasted space. Of course keep in mind where I'm coming from. I don't like wearing watches, I'm only considering a smart watch because it would be an extension of my phone, but in all honesty I don't think this year's crop are going to be worthwhile at all.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    First generation products usually end up looking a bit silly a couple years down the road: people don't know what works and what doesn't yet, so features are clumsily implemented and ideas tried that go nowhere. I'm sure Android Wear and the Moto 360 will be no exception. I still think I want one, though.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    Oh I'm sure they'll sell tons. My issue is that round simply doesn't fit my own personal idea of smart watch style. How many round computer screens have you seen? Just seems weird to me to use a round computer screen. Perhaps it'll feel natural, I won't know until I try it.

    In addition I believe it'll end up being inefficient and having a lot of wasted space. Of course keep in mind where I'm coming from. I don't like wearing watches, I'm only considering a smart watch because it would be an extension of my phone, but in all honesty I don't think this year's crop are going to be worthwhile at all.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I actually think the Google Now card interface will work fairly well on a round display, you just end up with a bit of extra white space in the areas where you can't fit anything else
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    I always wear a watch, even around the house where there are clocks. I'm a watch collector; it's a hobby; I like to keep track of time (I'm self-employed and work a lot at home). I prefer the round style of the Moto 360 because anyone glimpsing it on my wrist will just think it's a watch.

    If it's a big rectangular thing, they won't think that. Maybe they'll think it's another of my geek toys instead.

    But I'd like them to think it's a watch.

    For those of you who don't wear watches, I'd probably advise against splashing your cash on a smart watch; you'll probably hate it and in short order it will live in a drawer.
    Everlast716 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Aglet View Post
    For those of you who don't wear watches, I'd probably advise against splashing your cash on a smart watch; you'll probably hate it and in short order it will live in a drawer.
    I fall in this category. Still interested in wearable tech though. I'm actually looking forward to implanted tech. Cyborg ftw.

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  
    ddot196's Avatar

    Posts
    338 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    I want a smart watch but also don't want to look like a dork wearing it in public. This suits me perfectly. Sorry but Motorola is right, people wear watches as an accessory and they should look good.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everlast716 and original00 like this.
  18. #18  
    Gadgety's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Aglet View Post
    I always wear a watch, even around the house where there are clocks. I'm a watch collector; it's a hobby; I like to keep track of time (I'm self-employed and work a lot at home). I prefer the round style of the Moto 360 because anyone glimpsing it on my wrist will just think it's a watch.

    If it's a big rectangular thing, they won't think that. Maybe they'll think it's another of my geek toys instead.

    But I'd like them to think it's a watch.

    For those of you who don't wear watches, I'd probably advise against splashing your cash on a smart watch; you'll probably hate it and in short order it will live in a drawer.
    I also would like people to think it's a regular watch, and doing this retro round thing is of course a strike of genius, because it's simultaneously classic and novelty in one package. Regarding "Ho-hum" well, taste is always personal, but judging from the reception it's received around the web you could almost say the Moto360 has already accomplished the goal of marketing Motorola and Android Wear singlehandedly. It would be a classic, if it weren't for the fact that it will quickly become outdated, tech wise. The thin bezel, despite that patch at the bottom, also contributes to its good looks.

    I've had several analog/digital smartwatches from the SonyEricsson MBW-line, and the Live View. The Live View was a geek toy, really. The MBWs were perceived as regular watches. Since I got them way back when, very few realized it was connected via Bluetooth. A programmer created an app that enabled 40 functions when used with a Windows Mobile phone. Caller ID, SMS, mails, vibration alert, chrongraph. It was a lot of fun just to follow the evolution of the software and what it enabled the watch to do. With Android Wear that will be a thousand times more fun. Product quality was partly bad and the panel gave up within a few years after date of manufacture, so getting a new one didn't help. My conclusion: smartwatches are consumables, because tech marches on - processors, screens, antennaes etc. Eventually that rechargeable battery will die. That's probably also why I wouldn't expect any 24k gold versions, at least not one with a hallmark.

    I'm old enough to have worn one of those LED watches way back when. Had to push a button to see the time, and push it twice to get the date. Mine was rectangular but there were of course circular versions as well. Although the lit part was tiny at the time I remember thinking that it looked odd with a round watch, not modern at the time. So at least I can understand your sentiment, Kalvin, although today I disagree - the round is novelty. I'm willing to pay just to see what the screens look like when they're round. I'm sure rectangular watches could look good, too, but in my opinion they all look really, really bad currently. Part of that is the wide bezel. But with for example Samsung's flexible YOUM panel a rectangular watch could look really great enabling no visible bezel.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Ho hum design

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    Anyone else disappointed by this uninspired round design? Big round watch display... I understand that the reason is so it doesn't look like a smart watch, but if I buy a smart watch it's because I don't want a regular watch and expect it to look different. Guess I'll be waiting a little longer. Oh well just my thoughts.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Im kinda with you.. I mean i see the point of the 360.. being that it looks like a regular watch and acts as a smartwatch.. but i also would like a true smartwatch with no compromises.. It was this video that got me excited for smart watches and well.. I might buy a 360 but its something like this that im really waiting for... Running android wear of course..

Similar Threads

  1. New Design Puzzles Game [Touch Puzzle]
    By Shrimp123456 in forum Android Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
  2. Weird Spider-Web Design on Screen? Not a crack, though.
    By Skeith34 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2015, 08:12 AM
  3. Google IO 2014 - Android L, material design, the year of wearables
    By MallyMall88 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 06:26 PM

Posting Permissions