Moto 360 Buying a 3rd party metal band?

sekots

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else considering a 3rd party metal band, like maybe the same used for pebble steel?
They are only $20 but not sure how difficult to install. Definitely better than waiting and paying another $80 to moto.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Buying a 3rd party metal band?

Anyone else considering a 3rd party metal band, like maybe the same used for pebble steel?
They are only $20 but not sure how difficult to install. Definitely better than waiting and paying another $80 to moto.

I think Moto's band interface is custom. If so, that's another negative against it. It looks great, but the Ars review of the internals has turned me off this generation, and I have yet to read anything that says the band is an industry standard. The Asus ZenWatch specifically states it's bands are industry standard 22mm, IIRC.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I ordered the Pebble steel replacement band from BB same time I ordered the 360. It's probably not going to fit as nice as the Moto band, and the pebble's three link design may not match up, but for $20 I figured it was worth the risk, especially since replacement bands elsewhere are $50+. Going to try installing it once my 360 arrives today by the UPS man.

IIRC, Phil used a replacement band on his LG G Watch, but I can't seem to find the post and where he got it.

sekots

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I was thinking of buying the same one. Let me know if you can get it installed?

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Black steel Pebble band.

URL=http://s281.photobucket.com/user/ibladuell/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140908_175030.jpg.html]
IMG_20140908_175030.jpg
[/URL]

Ian B

sekots

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Looks really good. How easy was it to do? From what I read I just need a certain tool and it's not too bad.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Looks really good. How easy was it to do? From what I read I just need a certain tool and it's not too bad.

It can be done with the small screwdriver included with the Pebble band; however, unless you're very comfortable taking that on, I'd recommend having a jeweler or someone like that do it. The cost would be minimal (I got it done for free) and they also have proper tools and replacement pins should you need them. I'd do it for the piece of mind, if nothing else.

I had the jeweler remove the original 360 band because the pins can be tough to see on either side of the leather band, and I really, really didn't want to risk breaking anything while blindly poking a screwdriver down there. But I ended up removing the Pebble band for a bit to remove some of the links, and that was very easy because the pins are much easier to see now with the metal band.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I changed mine this morning to the replacement SS pebble steel band. Took about 30 mins using just the small screwdriver included with the pebble band, most of which was spent trying to figure out how many links to take out of the pebble band and actually getting the links out. Getting the leather strap off the 360 was really easy, as was getting the metal band back on.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

Black steel Pebble band.

URL=http://s281.photobucket.com/user/ibladuell/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140908_175030.jpg.html]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/ibladuell/Mobile Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140908_175030.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/ibladuell/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/IMG_20140908_175036.jpg[/URL]

Ian B

I had the black matte Pebble Steel. Get ready for the powder-coated finish to begin to flake off of that black steel band. I babied mine from late February until early July, but it still had a lot of flaking on the bottom when I sold it.

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I am always on the computer at work and the latch that hits the desk is already losing the black. The band itself is holding well. Will monitor and report back wear and tear.

Ian B

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Ian that's awesome thanks for the picture. I'm curious how it wears since I'm at a computer all day too.

Quad150db

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I changed mine this morning to the replacement SS pebble steel band. Took about 30 mins using just the small screwdriver included with the pebble band, most of which was spent trying to figure out how many links to take out of the pebble band and actually getting the links out. Getting the leather strap off the 360 was really easy, as was getting the metal band back on.

How do you like the way the SS pebble band looks I had it in my hand at BB today but thought the color looked off so didn't end up buying it. Could have been the packaging or lighting in the store but would really like someones opinion that has it.

katsuki

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
There is a youtube video regarding this (credits to Matt Wahlers)

<Youtube>/watch?v=uha1KfHLAEs
(The forum feature prevents me from posting link, so add youtube url by yourself)