Anyone having problems with watch being 'OFFLINE'?

DoronBr5

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I spent all day trying to figure this out. This is what I Experiance, everything works fine when I am connected to WiFi. As soon as I disconnect from the WiFi network (either not in range or I disable the WiFi function) the voice commands is not available.
Everything works fine, I get notifications and can work the watch, except when I call "go google". I get a "Disconnected" notification as soon as I try to access it.

Motorola support couldn't help and the referred me to the phone manufacture. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.

BTW, I tried pretty much everything except completely resenting my phone (I leave that as last resort).

Any ideas are very welcome :)

Posted via the Android Central App

DoronBr5

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It started working for me.

I don't have anything smart to add because it was the weirdest thing.
After talking to Motorola, Samsung and Google tech support and trying many different things nobody was able to help.

Now suddenly is working. Maybe one of the changes took time to take effect but now I can't point out what it is.

My hunch is that it's Google Now related and those configurations changes helped.

daewynn

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
So this drove me crazy for a few days on my S5. I had to unlock my phone to use the Ok google function on my watch. At first I thought it was a restriction on data when my phone was unlocked but after checking all power settings, privacy settings...etc.... That was not the issue. I realized that I was looking for a complicated answer to a simple problem. My 360 was doing exactly what my phone will do from the lock screen. (Notifications ) - I took off the lock feature and it now works consistently with no issues. Perhaps there is a way to make it a trusted device, until then I am going sans lock.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar issue. Although I rarely see the slashcloud and never see an offline notification immediately, many times when I tried an "OK Google", it will come up and I will speak, and then I get the dreaded spinning circle which goes on for a long time.... THEN I get the "disconnected" screen. And yet my Nexus 5 says it is connected. Telling the Nexus to disconnect and reconnect does nothing. Sometimes it will just start working again a few minutes later. Other times I can get it to start working by just changing the watch face (as if that makes any sense). It is pretty annoying.

islamghoneim

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I too noticed that the watch (Samsung Gear Live) went offline when I disconnected from Wifi. I found that I had restricted background (mobile) data to the google search app. When I allowed background data the problem was completely resolved. Hope this helps. It was really annoying. Thanks!

carlling

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Brand new LG G watch R and old Xperia Z and same exact problem (random offline cloud even though Bluetooth connected and phone has internet connectivity) for me as well. It seems like many people have this issue, I tend to think it is the phone and will try it with a Oneplus One when it arrives....but Google - if any of you are out there reading this - this is a real problem that needs addressing and I hope it is addressed quickly.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased my Moto 360 and use it with my Moto X (Gen 1), still on 4.4.4. For me, it seems that whenever I haven't used the Moto X for awhile and give the "OK Google" command to the Moto 360, this is when I'll get the "Offline" indicator. If I then just go to my phone and power on my Moto X and try again, the "OK Google" command then works on the Moto 360. So, it seems like the phone is going to sleep when it hasn't been active for awhile. I've noticed it so far mostly at home when I'm on Wifi, but think it happens on data as well. I don't have any background data restrictions set. After it works for awhile, if I don't use the phone for another period of time and give the "OK Google" command, the "Offline" indicator re-appears and the cycle repeats itself.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
After several days of testing various settings, I think I have determined a fix for the Offline issue. So far, this seems to be working for me. On your phone, go into Settings / Wifi / Menu (3 dots) / Advanced / Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep. Choose "Always".

I think "Always" is the factory default setting, but somewhere in the past, I switched this setting to "Never", thinking it might save some battery life. I Googled "Keep Wifi on during sleep" and there are a number of posts that indicate this is not the case and in fact you can consume more battery by using the "Never" setting. The only kicker is that when you are not near a known wifi network, you should toggle wifi off, otherwise your phone will continuously search for available networks which will use more juice.

Mainly my Offline issue was happening when connected to wifi. While on 4G LTE data, it may have happened a time or two, but not with any regularity. Since I changed this setting to "Always" yesterday, I have not seen the Offline issue return. Give it a try and let us know if this works for you.

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I am having exactly the same problem on my brand new ZenWatch. It has to be software. None of the suggestions here work. The only thing that makes OK Google work is putting the phone on WiFi.

Posted about it in the ZenWatch forum.

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
... I found that I had restricted background (mobile) data to the google search app. When I allowed background data the problem was completely resolved. ...

How did you do this? I can't find an app-specific setting. I've got "Mobile data [selected]" and "Limit mobile data usage [not selected]" for the phone. Can't find anything in the Google app itself.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The only place that I see to change anything is in Settings/Data usage/click 3 dots/Restrict background data. If it is "checked" then uncheck it.

oconel

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Wiko Rainbow 4G, 4.4.2 and a LG G Watch 5.0.1W and the same problem.

The restricted data is unchecked, and I got these problems with Data and WiFi. Don't know why...
I hope the next update will fix this, that's annoying. But btw, all the cards are correctly sent to my watch (no packet loss in bluetooth), so this really looks like to be a software issue. :confused:

Yannou

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Wiko Rainbow 4G, 4.4.2 and a LG G Watch 5.0.1W and the same problem. ...btw, all the cards are correctly sent to my watch (no packet loss in bluetooth), so this really looks like to be a software issue. ...
Same thing here (all cards ok).

Who is your cellular carrier?

anon(9269185)

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Had this problem also with my Nexus 4 and the LG G watch. OK Google worked on WiFi, but not on mobile data. The watch and the phone however were able to receive push notifications from the internet.

In the past I played around with restriction of background data, mainly for G+ and Facebook and other naughty apps that thend to suck up the precious MBs from the data plan. However, no Google service had this restriction, in fact I also disabled those for all other apps and the error was still present.

To make sure, I now went into the phone settings, then apps and then menu and clicked "reset all apps" which completely resets those meta-settings for all apps, but without losing any data.

After this the feature OK Google now works as it should!

Mike4G

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Having to unlock your phone completely negates the point of a smart watch. This is hardly a solution.

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Never had that problem with my Nexus 5 with moto 360. Put moto 360 for trusted device on my smart lock option settings on my phone. I'm on 5.0.1 on both devices.

Only thing I can't do at the moment is to make call someone via voice command on 360. But seems like that is known issue and hopefully future update will resolve it.

Not a big problem though, have to pull out the phone to make conversations anyway...

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The latest update helps a lot! It's not collected 100%, but if was at 70% before the update, it's at 95% now, I would say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance