An awful user experience

wkm001

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I really hope I'm an outlier but based on other posts elsewhere I don't think this is the case.

When I try to charge my Moto 360 it turns on. When it turns on the battery drains at an insanely fast rate. So fast it won't let me set it up. I have heard a firmware update will take care of this but I read on reddit the battery need to be at 80% for this to happen. Currently I can't get the battery level over 8%. Spent an hour and twenty minutes on the phone with support and they were not helpful.

Posted via the Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So the phone cannot be turned off at all while charging? If I'm reading your post correctly from an off condition when plugged in to charge the phone turns on, correct? While plugged in it can't be turned off? Of course it's unlikely that you have an external charger, however perhaps you have a friend or family member with the same device that would allow you to use their battery to do the up date. If all of those are a no go perhaps you could try turning off the data, and/or put the phone in airplane mode which should slow it's power consumption enough to allow charging. For added measure you could turn off all unnecessary peripherals, i.e. bluetooth, WiFi, and dim the screen to it's lowest setting.

wkm001

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
These are great suggestions for a phone. But this is the Moto 360 forum. It is a smart watch.

Tech_Guru77

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I really hope I'm an outlier but based on other posts elsewhere I don't think this is the case.

When I try to charge my Moto 360 it turns on. When it turns on the battery drains at an insanely fast rate. So fast it won't let me set it up. I have heard a firmware update will take care of this but I read on reddit the battery need to be at 80% for this to happen. Currently I can't get the battery level over 8%. Spent an hour and twenty minutes on the phone with support and they were not helpful.

Copying this straight from reddit because I can't post links yet. All credit goes to gsmumbo over on reddit. I had the EXACT same problems as you did, and now it's all good. :)

UPDATE - It looks like the best way to get the initial charge done is to reset the device, leave it at the Select Language screen, then charge it with the device powered on :)

CHARGING ISSUES

When setting up the 360, there seems to be some kind of service running in the background that eats up battery life quickly. If you haven't finished setting up your watch yet, you will see that even when docked your watch will lose battery charge. This is normal, your watch is not defective. To fix - Turn off your watch and let it charge to about 80% while off(preferably 100%). Then finish the setup process. Once you can see your watachface your 360 will start charging like normal.

Note - for me the watch kept trying to turn back on. Keep an eye on it and keep turning it back off as if it turns back on it will start draining itself again

"JUST A MINUTE" OR "NO INTERNET" ISSUES

There is a firmware update that the watch needs to install before being fully functional. In order to install this it needs a lot of battery power(some say 80%, I got mine to work at 60% last night). If you don't have enough battery for this update to run, you will be able to set your language and link your phone, but chances are you will get stuck at a spinning green circle with "Just a Minute" on the screen. If you let it run long enough it will pop up a "No Internet" error. Follow the charging issues instructions and let it charge while off until it gets to a point where the update will install. Then you should be good!
Note - Once it gets enough power, if it still doesn't work you probably need to reset your watch. I did a few times

WATCH WILL NOT RESET

UPDATE - It looks like you might need a certain battery percentage to get it to reset. Running number looks lie 13%
This one is a bit off the wall, but it's something I also encountered. When you go to reset your watch(hold down power until Settings pops up, then choose "Reset") a screen will pop up asking you to confirm the reset. If your watch is anything like mine, when you tap to confirm the reset, nothing happens. You can tap it as many times as you want and it just sits there. If this happens, just wait.
Even though it doesn't respond right away or indicate that it worked, your watch should restart in a few seconds(10ish?). When it comes back up you will see the Android Wear circles during the reset process. Then it will reboot and you will be back at the Set Language screen.

I hope this helps some of you who are having the same issues as myself. I almost went back to Best Buy to try and return/exchange the watch thinking it was broken when really it was able to be fixed here at home. If you want me to add anything to this let me know and I will, otherwise good luck getting your watch up and running. Once it is though, you're going to love it :)

From swimbikerunrun:

Here's two more things I found when working with moto tech support:
App is stuck on "just a minute.." On your Phone go to Settings -> Apps -> Android Wear Force stop, Clear data (might have to do it twice) Clear cache

Battery keeps dying before you set it up, even if you reboot it: Go into Android Wear and select the button to Disconnect your moto 360. That'll tell the phone to stop trying to connect.

Enable developer menu: Power menu -> About -> Build -> tap like 10x
I'll also add if clearing your data and disconnecting doesn't help, I've found that going to your bluetooth devices afterwards and removing the watch there also helps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1