Why don't text messages use my Google Voice number?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Google Voice user for years. It's the only number I ever give people. I couldn't even tell you what the native number is on my phone. And, if I were to text people from texting apps other than Google Voice the recipient wouldn't know who the sender is. As you might imagine I was happy to see that Google Voice is integrated with Hangouts last week. I can now initiate text messages in Hangouts and they go to the recipient using my Google Voice number.

Not the same on the Moto 360. If I say, "Send text to Bill, let's meet for lunch." It sends the text directly, not through hangouts, using the phone's native number.

If, however, Bill sends me a text to my Google Voice phone number and I reply to that text on the Moto 360 it correctly shows that it came from my GV number.

So, the question is: How do I initiate a text on the Moto 360 and have it run through Hangouts using my Google Voice number instead of the phone's native number?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Not so much a bug as its a limitation to Wear not allowing to change default messenger App. I'm sure this will come as Wear gets better. There's alot of flaws per se than bugs. As Wear grows I'm sure we'll find more default options to set on the phone app.

Posted via Android Central App

studiozut

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts just merged my Voice and in the settings for Hangouts I set it to use Voice phone number for sending SMS. I can reply to texts from the 360 from my Google voice number.

Posted via the Android Central App

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
But are you getting a strange double-message sent to your contacts?

If I initiate a text on the 360 then look at my phone's recent apps, Messaging will be running. If I tap it, an identical text gets sent even though Hangouts is now my default app for text.

Posted via Android Central App

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts just merged my Voice and in the settings for Hangouts I set it to use Voice phone number for sending SMS. I can reply to texts from the 360 from my Google voice number.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes, as I said in the OP, I can reply using my GV number without a problem. It's when I initiate a NEW text message in the Moto 360 it uses the phone's native number, not my GV number.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I also use Gvoice as my main number and don't give out or use my device's number. The Hangouts integration w/ Voice was perfect timing for me - happened almost the same day I got the 360.

I don't have an issue with sending texts from the 360. Based on what you described, I think you need to reset the default SMS app on your phone. I'm on a Nexus 5, so Hangouts is the default SMS app, but since you're on a Note, your default is probably the Samsung messaging app? Try using Google Now from the phone to send a text. If it doesn't use Hangouts, you'll need to clear defaults in settings first.