Any Qualcomm Toq owners getting the Moto 360?

chronophile

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Qualcomm Toq for eight months. Until now, it has been flawless. Prior to this, I had (and still have) two Cookoo watches (which only blink notification icons on its analog e-ink dial).

I have the Moto 360 stainless steel model on the way from a US seller, since I am abroad and I expect it to be on my wrist two weeks from now. I've learned a lot from these threads and hope that after getting so much useful info here, my experience will be without headaches when I set up the Moto.

Just wondering if there are Toq owners here and how the switch to the Moto has been for you so far. All the experiences shared here have tempered my expectations from the Moto. I don't plan on disposing of my Toq as it is a excellent smart watch and hasn't failed me as a notification platform. I always turn it off every night and I consistently get a week of battery life with moderate notifications daily. That's the miracle of a color e-ink display. So convenient to recharge as well with its qi charging dock that elegantly folds into a compact form factor for easy transport.

The downside of the Toq is that after nine months in the market, development for the Toq seems to have ground to a halt. Last firmware update was June 13. I really don't have any complaints regarding the watch's performance, but I have to admit that the round chassis of the Moto, ever since I saw the first press pictures early this year, has made me lust for it. The Toq's square, TV screen shaped face screams geek, but in my opinion, it was and for me, still is the best looking square smart watch.

Of course, Android Wear means infinite possibilities with the Moto and the platform in general, something that never happened with the Toq.

I read yesterday that only 11% of iOS users plan to purchase the I-watch. I'm not surprised as the i-watch case shape is uninspired. I've been a Swiss mechanical watch collector for seventeen years, and I've always stayed away from square watches. The Qualcomm Toq is my first watch that isn't round. They just don't look as natural or as classically elegant as a round chassis.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Toq OS out the box is completely better than Wear out the Box. It just works. Has better built in functions and battery life speaks for itself on the Toq. Unfortunately it's dead. And that's why the 360 in the long run is better. The functionality will improve.

Display Toq.
Battery Toq.
Design 360.
Direct Sunlight and visibility Toq
Toq let's you set a media player to start on watch without having to get it set up on phone or using 3rd party App.

In the end I'm happier with my 360 but I keep my Toq as my goto when I'm on my motorcycle as it's easier to navigate thru music and answer call. Touch compared to swiping for stuff Toq is better. Hands down.

Posted via Android Central App

diamond.g

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the 360 while my Toq was in for RMA work. Keeping both but appreciate the Toq visibility in sunlight and battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

chronophile

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I picked up the 360 while my Toq was in for RMA work. Keeping both but appreciate the Toq visibility in sunlight and battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App
What was wrong with your Toq that needed repair? I've had mine for almost nine months now, problem free. I always turn it off at night so I last almost a week. At this rate, it'd probably last at least six years (300 cycles) before battery longevity drops.

You're right about its screen visibility. Nothing comes close to a color e-ink display in terms of visibility outdoors. I'm wondering why it hasn't caught on with device manufacturers. Sure, it's not as vibrant as a LCD indoors, but I'd rather have that than contend with range anxiety daily.

I'm keeping the Toq as well. Looks like it will remain a unicorn until another manufacturer decides to use an e-ink display.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I still love my Toq, but the Android Wear platform and host of third party apps have got me to switch. I started with the LG G Watch and moved on to the Moto 360 when it came out.

Hopefully, Qualcomm will release a Toq 2 or maybe something with android wear... Sad to see such a great watch get neglected.

chronophile

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Would be fantastic if a manufacturer picks up e-ink tech on the Android wear platform. I'm wondering if there are any setbacks with e-ink that is detering manufacturers from using it.

Qualcomm supposedly produced the Toq as a proof of concept smart watch to demo the tech to manufacturers. Seems it didn't make good on its objective. Too bad because from a usability standpoint, it's superior to lcds as far as better longevity is concerned.

diamond.g

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
What was wrong with your Toq that needed repair? I've had mine for almost nine months now, problem free. I always turn it off at night so I last almost a week. At this rate, it'd probably last at least six years (300 cycles) before battery longevity drops.

You're right about its screen visibility. Nothing comes close to a color e-ink display in terms of visibility outdoors. I'm wondering why it hasn't caught on with device manufacturers. Sure, it's not as vibrant as a LCD indoors, but I'd rather have that than contend with range anxiety daily.

I'm keeping the Toq as well. Looks like it will remain a unicorn until another manufacturer decides to use an e-ink display.

My battery stopped taking a charge. They actually sent me a new one. No issues with it otherwise.

chronophile

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My battery stopped taking a charge. They actually sent me a new one. No issues with it otherwise.
Pretty unsettling. I hope I won't get that kind of hiccup on my Toq as I live abroad and sending the Toq for repairs is not a viable option.

My Moto 360 has just shipped today and I expect to get it after a couple of weeks. I hope everything will be okay. Looking forward to it. As long as it lasts me a full day with some charge left at night for those unusually long days, I won't mind putting it on the qi dock before going to bed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc