Stock music player question

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Just got a 360 a few days ago! I've tried the android wear music player and music boss. Both are janky...

How do I access the stock controller? I think I'll try it for a while once I figure out how to launch it.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got a 360 a few days ago! I've tried the android wear music player and music boss. Both are janky...

How do I access the stock controller? I think I'll try it for a while once I figure out how to launch it.

Music controls are on a per-app basis. A music app has to implement the RemoteControlClient API to support music controls being available on an Android Wear device, or they have to create their own custom Android Wear interface.

If you're using a music app that supports Android Wear, you'll know it when you start playing music on your phone. The controls will appear automatically on your watch.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Consider posting over at Connectedly as well: Connectedly Forum

I don't know about everyone else, but I find these Connectedly posts very spammy. Instead of answering this person's question, you spam the other sister site's forums. If someone is posting here, it means they want to post here.

If you want to spam Connectedly, just make a post on the main AndroidCentral site mentioning the forums on Connectedly. Just a thought...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else, but I find these Connectedly posts very spammy. Instead of answering this person's question, you spam the other sister site's forums. If someone is posting here, it means they want to post here.

If you want to spam Connectedly, just make a post on the main AndroidCentral site mentioning the forums on Connectedly. Just a thought...

I'm sorry you feel that way. I have also noted responses from people who weren't aware of the site and thanked me for reminding them. Considering that Connectedly is a site dedicated to wearables, it seems reasonable to make sure members here know of it. Just trying to help here.

In regard to making a simple post on Android Central to let people know about Connectedly--that wouldn't necessarily work. We have lots of guides posted about various issues, and yet there are many posts each day from members who don't seem to be aware of them, so we often link to those guides.

In any case, your concern is noted.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
B. Diddy is a very helpful member of the Ambassador team. I never thought any of his posts as "spammy" and fully believe that if he directs one of the members here to one of the sister sites, it's warranted.

Also, don't forget about the community rules and guidelines:

Refrain from Backseat Modding - refers to ordinary users taking a moderator-like tone in criticizing other members. Do not do this. If you feel a post or thread requires moderation, please use the report post button.

With that said, if anyone here can help out the OP please chime in.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have also noted responses from people who weren't aware of the site and thanked me for reminding them. Considering that Connectedly is a site dedicated to wearables, it seems reasonable to make sure members here know of it. Just trying to help here.

In regard to making a simple post on Android Central to let people know about Connectedly--that wouldn't necessarily work. We have lots of guides posted about various issues, and yet there are many posts each day from members who don't seem to be aware of them, so we often link to those guides.

In any case, your concern is noted.
If this forum was inactive and threads remained unanswered I think your type of reply may be helpful. But considering how active this Android Wear forum is, it's not very helpful to simply redirect a user to another forum instead of letting forum users respond to the OP's specific question (like I did).

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Music controls are on a per-app basis. A music app has to implement the RemoteControlClient API to support music controls being available on an Android Wear device, or they have to create their own custom Android Wear interface.

If you're using a music app that supports Android Wear, you'll know it when you start playing music on your phone. The controls will appear automatically on your watch.

Thanks! That makes sense. With some of the wear music apps the player can be started from the watch by launching the wear app. So I guess there is no native way to do this without an app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If this forum was inactive and threads remained unanswered I think your type of reply may be helpful. But considering how active this Android Wear forum is, it's not very helpful to simply redirect a user to another forum instead of letting forum users respond to the OP's specific question (like I did).

Again, your concern is noted, thank you. I will refrain from linking users to Connectedly. Perhaps the Mobile Nations team can figure out an efficient way to combine the Android Wear forums here with the Connectedly forums, to maximize both communities' usefulness.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy is acting under my direction. We are doing this for a few reasons. 1. To help Connectedly get more traffic, 2. Since they are a smaller site, a thread has a much smaller chance of going unanswered, and 3. There are some users who may not frequently use AC but Connectedly instead. So that means more minds thinking about your problem and how to solve it.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! That makes sense. With some of the wear music apps the player can be started from the watch by launching the wear app. So I guess there is no native way to do this without an app?

You don't need a separate app if the music app you're using supports Android Wear.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the Mobile Nations team can figure out an efficient way to combine the Android Wear forums here with the Connectedly forums, to maximize both communities' usefulness.

From a user point of view, having these duplicate android wear forums in both sites is confusing. It would be much better if they could be integrated.

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
You don't need a separate app if the music app you're using supports Android Wear.

Thanks again! I have Wear Music installed now and I can access it via Wear Mini Launcher. Without Wear Music installed there doesn't seem to be any way to initialize the music player from the 360. Sorry if I'm daft...

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again! I have Wear Music installed now and I can access it via Wear Mini Launcher. Without Wear Music installed there doesn't seem to be any way to initialize the music player from the 360. Sorry if I'm daft...
What music app do you use on your phone? If your phone's music app supports Android Wear then you don't need a separate app like "Wear Music".

For instance, the music app I developed called "Music Player (Remix)" has built-in Android Wear support. As soon as you start playing music on your phone within Music Player (Remix), music controls automatically show up on the watch. You can try out the free trial if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I use google play music on a 1st gen Moto-X. On my 360 I can choose Wear Music through the mini launcher and fire up the music player without touching the phone. I only have access to the current album that's "up" on the music player tho...

I'm hoping future versions will allow scrolling through albums and playlists via the 360.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use google play music on a 1st gen Moto-X. On my 360 I can choose Wear Music through the mini launcher and fire up the music player without touching the phone. I only have access to the current album that's "up" on the music player tho...

I'm hoping future versions will allow scrolling through albums and playlists via the 360.

You should be able to say "OK Google play <whatever>" from your watch. That's built into Android Wear / Google Now.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to say "OK Google play <whatever>" from your watch. That's built into Android Wear / Google Now.

Yeah, although the results of what it actually plays in response to that type of command is a little hit and miss. I would hope it would play matching stuff from my library but it basically plays anything that matches (ie: stuff not in my library).

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, although the results of what it actually plays in response to that type of command is a little hit and miss. I would hope it would play matching stuff from my library but it basically plays anything that matches (ie: stuff not in my library).

It will launch whatever you set up as your default music app in Google Now. It'll depend on the music app what it does in response to the query. For instance my app simply loads the Search page for whatever you said.