Moto Fit/Moto Body/Google Fit Fragmentation

d3c509b

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Motorola announced "moto body"
Moto 360: Choose a watch that fits your style - The Official Motorola Blog

I'm really struggling with the 'fitness' fragmentation on wearables.

• Google fit phone app will only show heart rate if you force 360-side to check heart rate (using google fit not moto fit)

• Moto fit step and heart rate data cannot be exported or linked in any way. Only viewed on watch

• no 3rd party app support (endomondo, runkeeper, etc) in moto fit or google fit

Has anyone found a solution to these concerns?

chrisb321

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I had the same thoughts as you listed. I've had my 360 a few weeks and I am trying to figure out how the watch and phone tie into a central system. Each system does something but very restricted.
It's almost like Moto and Google ignored each other when developing this leaving end users with partial solutions. Hopefully it will all get straightened out soon!

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to start a thread about this too! I hat when OEMs double up on features already built by Google. Samsung is notorious for this. I guess maybe Moto went ahead with their efforts because Google Fit wasn't ready at launch.

Still trying to determine what I want to use.

Posted via Android Central App

d3c509b

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got 'Moto body' today and it looks a bit more full featured than Google fit. and Moto fit has been replaced by Moto body.

A lot of people have been using other fitness apps for years, and we need a way to integrate those. I'm guessing no one has found any solutions?

CNUFijiBluSi

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
With the latest update to RunKeeper, it now reports your workout to Google Fit. Tested it out today. Sends the run details (heart rate, map, etc) to Google Fit which is pretty neat. Google Fit shows that the data was reported by RunKeeper and shows the data as well. I would use MotoBody if it reported everything to Google Fit but thus far I don't think it does.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had wanted to post on this as well. It seems almost misleading for Google to announce Google Fit along with Android wear and then force the users to have to BRING your cell phone with you to track any steps, or runs. What type of foolishness is that?? You cant market android wear as a platform that can also be used for fitness if your devices dont communicate with each other. I like moto body a lot but tbh I didnt even know the darn thing was on my watch. I had to install a third party launcher on the watch and now I see all my apps. I also hate the fact that you have to force the watch to check heart rate in order for it to be loaded into the google fit app... WTF!! The watch checks your heart rate periodically automatically, why do you have to force it in order for the google fit app to read it. Ultimately I just want moto body to either communicate my fitness results to the Google fit app or for motorola to release a standalone app that I can use on my phone to view progress and set goals, etc. I like andriod wear for what it is, because I like to always have the newest tech, but I wouldnt dare recommend this to anyone I knew because real consumers will not deal with googles shortcomings when they have the likes of fitbit, jawbone, and even the apple iWatch coming out soon. Yes all of these devices have their own problems but they are alot more feature rich in comparison to what android wear is.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess I just got in your boat :) I just turned on my new Zen watch. I already have a Samsung phone and a Samsung Fit for the gym. While the phone and Fit never agree on exactly how many steps I have taken I really don't need the Zen or Google Fit to vote on it. The Fit does fine on it's own.
Google Fit is off to a bad start. As are the way 5.0 Wear handles Notifications. For now I'm glad I don't need the Google software (outside of Android proper).

Deviser

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
A good solution to this issue would make the Moto 360 compete in the space now claimed by the Microsoft Band. BTW, I had a Microsoft Band and returned it...too limited.

Many of us are asking for a way to have both steps and heart rate displayed without touching anything. This would be useful for workouts and just plain curiosity.

An app maker, Watchmaker---available on Google Play Store, said they were working on a watch face that will give you the option to display heart rate and steps while looking at the watch face. No date announced.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't use either, I just wish I could get rid of both and keep the hrm off most of the time

Posted via the Android Central App

gekko59

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Google Fit miscounts stuff. It thinks I'm bicycling when I am using the elliptical. My FitBit counted that activity as steps. I would like it if the fitness apps let us set our own thresholds so we could consistently track. If I am "stepping", even if I'm not moving, then I expect to ahve those steps count.

Moto WhateverTheyCallIt tracks the elliptical time as steps.

Neither count floors climbed -- I liked that about FitBit.

I'd also like a social aspect, so I can compete with people who have, say, FitBits or other fitness bands.