'Screen always on'

Lee Petchey

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I've read countless reviews and posts about the 360, re: its issues with the 'ambient' display and battery life, but it's unclear as to whether these take in to account software updates.

I'm about to jump from my GWatch to the Moto and am really hoping that I can get a full day (7am - 11pm) on one charge with the screen always on. Two-day battery life means nothing to me unless I wake up on day two with 50%, but the ambient mode is vital as I do a lot of glancing at the time.

What are people's recent experiences?

Posted via the Android Central App

jackal24

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Without ambient, I can go a while day and still have 50% battery. With it enabled, I can barely make it through the day.
Note that even with it enabled, the watch still goes blank, it just takes longer to timeout and waited up with less movement of the wrist.

Lee Petchey

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Really?! Oh, that's quite disappointing. I probably spend most of my time just glancing at the ambient/dimmed watchface on my GWatch.

As lovely as the 360 looks, that's a fairly big oversight from Motorola.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not an oversight, it's a design compromise. Every piece of electronics has compromises.

Posted via Android Central App

Michael Lynady

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I use ambient mode and make it through the day-however I'm careful of which face I use, some can be battery hogs-trial/error. Also, I installed task manager and battery stats-kill any unneeded apps pushing to watch

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I use ambient mode and make it through the day-however I'm careful of which face I use, some can be battery hogs-trial/error. Also, I installed task manager and battery stats-kill any unneeded apps pushing to watch

Ii tried the 2 different task manager apps and killed some apps with each, but seemed like just about all of the apps I killed just kept re-starting so I uninstalled them. I've experienced around 20 hours of battery capacity in ambient mode with light use, just using it more or less as a normal watch. If I start using some of the additional smartwatch features , voice commands, searches, navigation, etc, then it will drain the battery faster.

Lee Petchey

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
It's not an oversight, it's a design compromise. Every piece of electronics has compromises.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm sure the compromise lead to an improvement elsewhere, but I still feel they've overlooked how important an always-on display is to some people.

That said, I've seen a YouTube video that shows the watch only turning fully off once the watch is faced away from you. That's not as bad as I thought!

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the compromise lead to an improvement elsewhere, but I still feel they've overlooked how important an always-on display is to some people.

That said, I've seen a YouTube video that shows the watch only turning fully off once the watch is faced away from you. That's not as bad as I thought!

Actually, in my experience with ambient mode, the display turns fully off whenever the screen is in any position where it's not within eyesight. For instance, if your arm is hanging by your side, it's off. If you have the watch face pointed straight up and somewhat within eyesight like if you're typing, it will turn on in dim mode in black and white. Once you lift your arm and face the watch towards you, then it lights up to full color and whatever brightness setting you have it set at. To me, this makes perfect sense. Why have the watch display on eating battery if it's not within your own eyesight?

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth everyone's battery life experiences are not going to be the same. My watch is off the charger every day from 6am to around 11ish pm and with ambient display off I usually have around 50% battery left, with it turned on it's still usually over 40%. I don't have any third party apps or faces installed and I have it pared with a Nexus 5.

I mainly use the watch for the time, and to check notifications and play and pause music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL