Theater Mode

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I love the concept but I hate that it has the light bulb icon on the screen constantly. Is there any way to turn that off?

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, apparently there's a new update coming today? I received one last week and it was for Android 5... I don't see any 'theater mode' other than the (thank Jebus!) ability to turn off the wrist motion to turn on the screen. But now that I have that active, I don't see any lightbulb icon on my screen... If a new update is coming today, what is the difference between this and 'theater' mode?

UPDATE: Well, no new update is coming today... I just had it already. Build is LWX48P, which is what I already have on my watch... No such thing as 'Theater Mode' explicitly, but you do have the ability to turn the wrist action off, which is what, I think, all sites are referring to as 'Theater Mode'. Still, no lightbulb icon on my screen.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I love the concept but I hate that it has the light bulb icon on the screen constantly. Is there any way to turn that off?

???
I don't have the update yet, but what you are describing makes no sense. If there were anything on the display CONSTANTLY, then the battery would drain to zero in less than an hour, probably. You might have something else going on, since that is not supposed to be how the "theater mode" is supposed to work. It is just supposed to stop the watch from waking from motion or notifications (other than vibrating), requiring you press the side button to have the screen illuminate.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No such thing as 'Theater Mode' explicitly, but you do have the ability to turn the wrist action off, which is what, I think, all sites are referring to as 'Theater Mode'. Still, no lightbulb icon on my screen.

Maybe they call it something else on the 360??

Attachments

• theater-mode-lg-g-watch.jpg
    theater-mode-lg-g-watch.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 118

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Theater Mode on the 360.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Attachments

• IMG_20141215_165707688.jpg
    IMG_20141215_165707688.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 251

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they call it something else on the 360??

That. And when it is on, any time you have the display on the light bulb with the line through it is on the display. It'd annoying and I was hoping someone knew of a way to make it go away.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
That. And when it is on, any time you have the display on the light bulb with the line through it is on the display. It'd annoying and I was hoping someone knew of a way to make it go away.

Oh! You changed what you said. So it is not displaying it all the time, it is only displaying it when the screen is activated. I guess I will see, eventually, if I ever get the update. My guess is that no, it is designed to display the indicator to let you know you are in that mode and it can't be disabled.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I found it... I seldom pull down on that menu haha But yeah, I see the lightbulb (unintrusive, IMHO) when you turn the screen on. But since just turning off the wrist motion activation is more than enough for me, I probably won't be using this Theater Mode.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I found it... I seldom pull down on that menu haha But yeah, I see the lightbulb (unintrusive, IMHO) when you turn the screen on. But since just turning off the wrist motion activation is more than enough for me, I probably won't be using this Theater Mode.

Is that some other new setting? I have never heard of it until your posting. It sounds like it differs from Theater Mode only in that it *will* wake up and show you notifications, right?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Theater Mode can be activated from the pull-down menu where the Mute Notifications used to be. Now, instead of just pulling down to 'silence' notifications, you get a few options that you can turn on and off. Mute, which just mutes notifications. Theater Mode, which causes notifications to vibrate but not turn on the screen and no matter what your settings are, only the button will turn the screen on; wrist action or touching it will do squat. Sunlight Mode will just crank up the brightness to the max level for a few seconds and then go back to whatever it was that you had it set to (if you already have this on max, then Sunlight Mode does diddly squat).

Now, in your Android Wear app, you can also select to disable the wrist action to turn the screen on (Tilt to wake screen), which is something I've always wanted. That way, you can turn the screen on either by tapping on it or by pushing the button. As you can see, this differs from Theater Mode in that you can wake up the screen by tapping on it,where as with Theater Mode you cannot. If you want to shower with the watch I recommend turning Theater Mode on, since water makes the screen turn on otherwise.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Now, in your Android Wear app, you can also select to disable the wrist action to turn the screen on (Tilt to wake screen), which is something I've always wanted. That way, you can turn the screen on either by tapping on it or by pushing the button.

I tried this today for the first time. Nice feature! And it greatly extends the battery life since there are no more false waking throughout the day (perhaps and it doesn't have to expend any processing monitoring it either). Not that I need more battery life- but it for those trying to get 2+ days out of a charge- this is the way to do it!

Of course, pressing a button to see the time is an immediate flashback for me to the late 70's with the first LED watches :)

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thought I would add one more thing to this thread that I actually discovered by accident. When it happened, I thought there was something wrong with my watch. Then remembered I had it in theater mode. So when you put it on the charger, and it's in theater mode, the screen comes on briefly to show you the current battery percentage and that it is charging and then the screen goes off. Now, I don't know if it comes back on once it's fully charged because I like my screen to be on while it's charging, so I took it out of theater mode. But I remember a thread on here where people were trying to make sure their watch face was not on while it was charging for various reasons, it seems there is now a solution.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thought I would add one more thing to this thread that I actually discovered by accident. When it happened, I thought there was something wrong with my watch. Then remembered I had it in theater mode. So when you put it on the charger, and it's in theater mode, the screen comes on briefly to show you the current battery percentage and that it is charging and then the screen goes off. Now, I don't know if it comes back on once it's fully charged because I like my screen to be on while it's charging, so I took it out of theater mode. But I remember a thread on here where people were trying to make sure their watch face was not on while it was charging for various reasons, it seems there is now a solution.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App
Mine does this without Theater mode. If you set it in the cradle and there's a lot of light around, the screen turns off. When I shut off the lights, the screen comes on in dimmed mode. One tap of the button and the screen can be turned off even at night when charging.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this without Theater mode. If you set it in the cradle and there's a lot of light around, the screen turns off. When I shut off the lights, the screen comes on in dimmed mode. One tap of the button and the screen can be turned off even at night when charging.

But, if a notification come through does the screen come back on? In theater mode it does not.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, no matter what mode the watch is on, as long as it's charging, there are no notifications at all. Only after the update did it start doing the adaptive brightness thing. Originally it was always on unless you turned it off with the button. Now it behaves as described above.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting- I just double clicked the button while on the charger and a message came on saying "to turn the screen back on, press button", and then it went completely black! Tried it again and it didn't work. Then tried it again and it worked again.

Shabbir Siddique

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Now, in your Android Wear app, you can also select to disable the wrist action to turn the screen on (Tilt to wake screen), which is something I've always wanted. That way, you can turn the screen on either by tapping on it or by pushing the button.

Which watch is it? Watch Urbane does not seem to have any option to disable tilt to ON action. I want the watch to remain in ambient mode but it comes out of it when I tilt it even if wrist gestures are disabled!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Haven't used the Urbane, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have something like this. The watch we're talking about here is the Moto 360