Moto 360, Android Wear, Blocking Apps (or NOT), and Battery Drain (Google Maps)

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
OK I ran another test on the way home with the watch in cinema mode and navigating my usual route.
No improvements I'm sad to report - 38% battery drained in an hour.

7.3.34 Play Services on watch
7.3.29 on phone
Maps 9.8.1

This may well lead to me giving up Android Wear for good.

I

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
OK I ran another test on the way home with the watch in cinema mode and navigating my usual route.
No improvements I'm sad to report - 38% battery drained in an hour.

7.3.34 Play Services on watch
7.3.29 on phone
Maps 9.8.1

This may well lead to me giving up Android Wear for good.

I
Which software version do you have on your phone?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. How about on your watch? I'm on 5.0.2. I'm on 5.1 on my nexus 6.

I just found out there is a way to send feedback on the Android Wear app. I suggest we all fill out the feedback and I saved what I wrote onto a note so I could copy and paste it several times.

Hopefully something happens to fix this.

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. How about on your watch? I'm on 5.0.2. I'm on 5.1 on my nexus 6.

I just found out there is a way to send feedback on the Android Wear app. I suggest we all fill out the feedback and I saved what I wrote onto a note so I could copy and paste it several times.

Hopefully something happens to fix this.

UserSinceG1

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I am also experiencing the Moto 360 battery drain with Navigation running on the phone. Blocking the Navigation app through Android Wear has no effect. I'm seeing a drop of 20% per hour with navigation running. This was still occurring as of yesterday.

Factory reset of the Moto 360 had no effect. This needs to be a high priority bug fix for the Android dev team. I'm surprised there isn't more threads online regarding this problem. Maybe most people only take short trips with navigation and don't notice the huge drops on lengthy trips 2+ hours.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am also experiencing the Moto 360 battery drain with Navigation running on the phone. Blocking the Navigation app through Android Wear has no effect. I'm seeing a drop of 20% per hour with navigation running. This was still occurring as of yesterday.

Factory reset of the Moto 360 had no effect. This needs to be a high priority bug fix for the Android dev team. I'm surprised there isn't more threads online regarding this problem. Maybe most people only take short trips with navigation and don't notice the huge drops on lengthy trips 2+ hours.

exactly my thoughts. How do we get people to notice?

Uberfish

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm here after google searching this issue. I use navigation a lot as I motorbike and the on screen notifications are so valuable as I can't check my smartphone while riding. Since the last update my watch can go from 100% to dead in less than two hours when navigating. Previously I could navigate for 6 hours or more with no significant battery drop. At first, I thought it was the ambient screen activating because of my riding position, so I tried disabling that. No change. Next, I tried cinema mode as any people said. Still massive drains which rules out the screen as the culprit. Blocking notifications also makes no difference as stated. Only airplane mode stops the drain. Which also makes one of the main reasons I got this watch unusable. Seems some kind of android software issue is killing the battery life. I was hoping to find a fix but so far seems to be no way to help :(

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm here after google searching this issue. I use navigation a lot as I motorbike and the on screen notifications are so valuable as I can't check my smartphone while riding. Since the last update my watch can go from 100% to dead in less than two hours when navigating. Previously I could navigate for 6 hours or more with no significant battery drop. At first, I thought it was the ambient screen activating because of my riding position, so I tried disabling that. No change. Next, I tried cinema mode as any people said. Still massive drains which rules out the screen as the culprit. Blocking notifications also makes no difference as stated. Only airplane mode stops the drain. Which also makes one of the main reasons I got this watch unusable. Seems some kind of android software issue is killing the battery life. I was hoping to find a fix but so far seems to be no way to help :(
Thanks for the input. Sigh, yeah, this is a major drag. Best thing for now is to bring it up to Motorola, go through all those hoops, maybe Motorola will tell Google. Also, submit bugs in the android Wear app.

Anybody have 5.1.1 on their watches yet?

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So what can we do so we don't get the drain? Never use maps? Is there a maps app on android wear that I can just uninstall so that I can only use it on my phone

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So what can we do so we don't get the drain? Never use maps? Is there a maps app on android wear that I can just uninstall so that I can only use it on my phone
I might just start using Waze for now, since it doesn't have an Android Wear component. Hopefully just temporarily.

I would submit a bug report. Go to Help and Feedback under in the menu of Android Wear app.

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Since my last post I've had to revert to my Moto X1 running 4.4 (massive lag on the X2 then a hardware fault needing a warranty repair) and received the v9.10 maps update.

I'm now seeing massively reduced battery drain in cinema mode - around 10% per hour instead of the 30-40% I was getting previously. I'm inclined to believed that this improvement is down to the Maps update as the drain seemed higher on 4.4 for the day or so prior to Maps updating but didn't get a chance to measure it properly.

I guess I'll find out when the X2 eventually gets the 5.1 update...

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been having significantly increased battery drain on my six month old Moto 360 as well. I used to put it on the stand at night with 40-60% charge left. The past several weeks however it's been regularly below 20%, sometimes under 10%. Nothing seems out of the ordinary in battery usage. I had been thinking it might be the screen turning on too often so I stuck it into Cinema mode today to see what difference that makes, but reading this thread I'm wondering if Maps has something to do with it. I rarely use Maps for navigation but I do regularly check it for traffic on my routes home. Technically this should not be causing battery drain without nav running, right?

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been having significantly increased battery drain on my six month old Moto 360 as well. I used to put it on the stand at night with 40-60% charge left. The past several weeks however it's been regularly below 20%, sometimes under 10%. Nothing seems out of the ordinary in battery usage. I had been thinking it might be the screen turning on too often so I stuck it into Cinema mode today to see what difference that makes, but reading this thread I'm wondering if Maps has something to do with it. I rarely use Maps for navigation but I do regularly check it for traffic on my routes home. Technically this should not be causing battery drain without nav running, right?
I've only seen it when navigating and the behaviour's reflected in the battery stats on the watch as a high percentage for Android Wear and / or Maps
Thanks for the input. Sigh, yeah, this is a major drag. Best thing for now is to bring it up to Motorola, go through all those hoops, maybe Motorola will tell Google. Also, submit bugs in the android Wear app.

Anybody have 5.1.1 on their watches yet?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Since my last post I've had to revert to my Moto X1 running 4.4 (massive lag on the X2 then a hardware fault needing a warranty repair) and received the v9.10 maps update.

I'm now seeing massively reduced battery drain in cinema mode - around 10% per hour instead of the 30-40% I was getting previously. I'm inclined to believed that this improvement is down to the Maps update as the drain seemed higher on 4.4 for the day or so prior to Maps updating but didn't get a chance to measure it properly.

I guess I'll find out when the X2 eventually gets the 5.1 update...

Thanks for the input. I got a new watch from Motorola and I have tried to diagnose the battery drain. I think it might be less... Well, 20% an hour, about. Still not what it used to be, or what it regularly is.

I've also noticed that the moto create your own watch app is draining more. Anyone else?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Gonna get my update to my moto 360 in an hour or so! I will update once I get a chance to test this out!

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
OK. Anyone else get the update?

Cautiously optimistic, but it may be fixed.

In the 9 monies I drove, the first time it was about a 2-3% drop, the second Tim me I drove that 9 minutes it wasa 1% drop. The first time, part of the battery decrease was that I was turning off ambient display and turning off wrist gestures. The second time, I left those things on.

Anyone else seeing this? Maybe... Maybe our comments helped?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth,
Navigation with ambient display off, android gestures on, 54 minutes.

3:30pm
69%

4:26pm
59%

About 10%-11% an hour. What's normal for you guys? It's definitely doing something in the background, but it's not 30% drain an hour!

Sounds fixed to you guys?