I find I'm wearing my watch less - anyone else?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
First, I want to preface that I'm over 50, and I have worn a watch every day of my life since I was old enough to read time. Of course, those were not smart watches, and I didn't have to remove them before showering, or to charge them. I bought my 360 on release week, so I've had it a while. It's my second smart watch, with my first being the original Pebble.

I have recently found myself driving in to work and realizing -- "CRAP, I forgot to put on my watch". The problem of course, is that it's on the charger. It isn't that I mind charging the watch every night, but I have found that recently, I forget to take it off the charger and put it on because I'm in a hurry preparing for work. This wasn't a problem pre-smart-watch days, since the battery lasted for a few years, nor with the Pebble, because it would hold a charge for almost a week.

I love my Moto 360. I really do, but I may have to skip a generation (hopefully not two) until Motoroloa or someone else has an LCD/OLED/other-technology watch face that will last a week on a single charge with constant time display. I'm even considering the new color Pebbles. They are not nearly as elegant as the Moto, or the upcoming Urbane, but I'm starting to think I may have to prioritize battery life over esthetics.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Design and fashion are obviously a matter of personal preference and style, so I don't think I can help you there. However, I too ran into the problem of forgetting my watch many times. I solved it by placing my watch charger(s) next to my phone charger. As I never forget my phone (go figure :) ), I seem to notice my watch sitting right next to the phone and remember to grab that as well. Just a personal trick of mine.

As far as Android Wear watches go, I can almost squeeze two days out of my Asus ZenWatch, but that's about the best battery life I've had for a AW watch. Anything more than that and I'd have to suggest a pebble unless you really scale back the notifications and features in the watch's settings.

Just my .02 .

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I stopped wearing watches about 10 years ago and only started again with the 360 last year. I don't think I have ever forgotten to wear it, but nor have I forgotten to bring my phone. Both are on chargers at night, both on QI chargers right next to each other, and both are part of my routine for leaving. I believe for most people, it wouldn't matter if it had a life of 36 hours (like the moto 360) or 48 hours, or 72 hours... it wouldn't change the routine much. In fact, it would probably be worse- If you could wear it days without charging, then there is no set routine and so it doesn't get charged and ready for a full day each day- it might just die on you during the day.

Besides, it is not good to wear watches at night. It can cause nerve/tendon/tissue damage, blood flow restriction, and/or aggravate existing problems such as carpal tunnel syndrome (which is what I have, and also why I stopped wearing watches and also why I have to wear the 360 very loosely).

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Both are on chargers at night, both on QI chargers right next to each other, and both are part of my routine for leaving.

Much to your point here, solving the issue of forgetting my watch came by modifying my routine just as you mention here. Possibly that is all dungoyle or others will need... Set a routine and stick to it.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been a watch wearer my whole life and occasionally would forget to put on a watch in the morning. I honestly would feel naked all day long without a watch on. However with the Moto 360 sitting right next to my phone, both charging at night, I have never forgotten to put on the watch. It does help that both are right next to my door.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Once. That's how many times I've forgotten to put it on since September.

OTOH, while I've had many watches in my lifetime I've never worn one in the shower. When I shower I like to get clean everywhere. ;-)

Graham Lee77

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I own 5 watches including my 360 and didn't wear anything for about 6 years.

Now I'd feel naked if I wasn't wearing my 360.

My charger is on the bedside next to my note 4 and I don't think I've forgotten to wear it once. Forgotten to charge it a couple of times though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I wear mine every day. Never forgotten it. I grab it off the charger after I shower during the work week. Usually after breakfast on the weekends.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it?, I always removed my Watch before bedtime! so What is the problem?, Take it off and put it on the charger.

AntinOz

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Like others have said, I have worn watches most of my life but typically never at night other than hotels or camping where I don't want to forget it. Also, my phone and charger sit on charging mats beside the bed so I typically grab both in the morning.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Same as most here. Both my 360 and Note 4 charge on my bedside table. I don't wear my 360 every day because I also have a Gear S and yet I still have no issues forgetting it.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
A very sincere thank you to everyone for posting their experiences and suggestions (the "I never wear my watch to bed for health reasons" was news to me, and something to keep in mind in the future). I do actually, keep my phone charger and watch charger at my desk (though not side by side -- one on top of the hutch, one on the desk; maybe, I'll move one to snuggle up to the other).

I've been looking at the Pebble Time Steel and that bad boy is projected to get 10 days battery life on a single charge on a color screen; albeit a 64 color palette; obviously, I'd be sacrificing some beauty for batter life - a tough choice. That watch won't be around for several months though, so I don't have any decisions to make for a good while, and will enjoy my Moto 360 at least that long, if not longer.

Charles Hinkle

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I wear mine every work day to be certain as it really helps me be discreet. On my off days, it just depends on the day and my mood mostly. As far as forgetting it, I keep in right next to my phone so it's a matter of routine for me. Honestly, I can say I've never forgot it yet.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
A very sincere thank you to everyone for posting their experiences and suggestions (the "I never wear my watch to bed for health reasons" was news to me, and something to keep in mind in the future). I do actually, keep my phone charger and watch charger at my desk (though not side by side -- one on top of the hutch, one on the desk; maybe, I'll move one to snuggle up to the other).

I've been looking at the Pebble Time Steel and that bad boy is projected to get 10 days battery life on a single charge on a color screen; albeit a 64 color palette; obviously, I'd be sacrificing some beauty for batter life - a tough choice. That watch won't be around for several months though, so I don't have any decisions to make for a good while, and will enjoy my Moto 360 at least that long, if not longer.

My physician suggest not having any wireless devices in the bedroom. I can say that I sleep better without them. YMMV.

AntinOz

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
My physician suggest not having any wireless devices in the bedroom. I can say that I sleep better without them. YMMV.

I'm guessing here, that the background radiation is going to be higher then the induction field of the charging mat unless you sleep on top of it.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh no! We have DirecTV whole house, which is wireless, 2 phones, my watch, and a tablet in the bedroom! All charging and transmitting and receiving signals!

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh no! We have DirecTV whole house, which is wireless, 2 phones, my watch, and a tablet in the bedroom! All charging and transmitting and receiving signals!

My doctor likens the interference to a clothes iron. Not an issue at 10 feet but put that iron close to your head and you might regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa