Watch Dead after 6 hours! New Owner....help!

John Wenner

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up the MOTO 360 this weekend. First thing I did was charge it up and then did the update to the latest firmware.
Today was my first day really using the watch. I installed FACER and WatchMaker on my phone so I could change the face. Today, at work, after 6 hours my watch was dead. I have Ambient Off. I did listen to Music on my phone, so I noticed the controls showed up on my watch. Does that kill my watch? I use PLAY Music.

What would be causing this to happen? I can try to use a normal watch face tomorrow. I don't really have any APPS on my watch. I noticed Comcast X1 was on it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! The Moto360 is an awesome watch, nice choice!

Let's see if we can troubleshoot this. First of all, it takes a couple charges for the watch to 'settle', so you might notice improved battery life after a couple days (mine can last up to two days with moderate use). The updates do help.

As far as watchfaces, Facer usually does drain your battery faster than the stock ones, BUT it also depends on what kind of watchface you're using. Something that polls constantly for weather, battery level, etc. and has fancy animations will deplete your battery a lot faster than a wathface that only tells time, date, and maybe shows upcoming appointments.

It also helps if you disable movement gestures to turn the screen on (I noticed that while driving, my watch would turn on all the time as I tried to turn or when there was a bump in the road or something). Autobrightness also comes in handy to make your battery last.

Music controls shouldn't have that much of an effect unless you're constantly using them, of course.

John Wenner

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I hav eAmbient Off. Should I also disable tilt to wake? I'm new to the interface, so I'm still getting familiar with it. The FACER watch face did not have a lot going on, just time and date. Nothing fancy....it was a MINI Cooper emblem

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had issues with Facer where it randomly drains the battery, but the one I use (a static Mickey Mouse) doesn't seem to affect it. I'd try it out with one of the stock faces first, and then rule out that Facer is acting up.

You don't have to disable tilt to wake, but it will give you a few more minutes of screen-on time if you, like me, are in situations where the motion might trigger the screen even when you don't need/want to see it on.

John Wenner

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I did a RESET and it still appears to be crap. How do I find out what is draining the battery? MY next test is take off the charger once it hits 100% and see how far it goes down with me doing nothing!

Am I supposed to turn off Bluetooth? DO I leave High Accuracy on?

I took off the charger at 6:45 at 96% to test. In a half hour it's dropped 2% with it being Idle. IS that normal? Seems better. I've done nothing with the watch though. Turned it on for a second to change Brightness to 1, but that's it.

Last edited:

AntinOz

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I get at least a days wear out of mine without doing anything special. This is with a facer face and ambient on. You can look at the Android Wear app on the phone to see the battery usage. Click on the settings icon and then watch battery. I am running a weather radar watch face on mine at the moment (we are getting sporadic rain) and it is down 17% in 4 hours.

John Wenner

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
After the reset and disabling a lot of things (Ambient, Tilt, Auto Brightness) I've only lost 14% in 3.5 hours. I'll gradually start using Facer again once I'm confident that the watch works correctly.

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. The watch's battery took a nose dive on me. Two days in a row I'd take the watch off the charger at 6:30am and it was dead by 12pm. I ended up resetting the watch and clearing the Android Wear app cache and disabled tilt to wake. That seemed to help. But now when I toggle my tilt to wake option on it will not work for the life of me. But that battery life tho! Seems to be much better. I was using an custom watch face but have sense gone back to the stock ones. I actually like that all a lot!

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to disable tilt to wake, but it will give you a few more minutes of screen-on time if you, like me, are in situations where the motion might trigger the screen even when you don't need/want to see it on.

I suspect some people could potentially accidentally wake the watch hundreds of times a day through certain motions. Given enough times, this really could severely lower battery life, so turning off tilt to wake can be an excellent test to see if that is the cause of a major drain. But I also suspect this situation is pretty rare.

Original poster, see: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-360/471939-what-do-when-360-misbehaves.html

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I suspect some people could potentially accidentally wake the watch hundreds of times a day through certain motions. Given enough times, this really could severely lower battery life, so turning off tilt to wake can be an excellent test to see if that is the cause of a major drain. But I also suspect this situation is pretty rare.

Original poster, see: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-360/471939-what-do-when-360-misbehaves.html

Yup, that was what was happening to me while driving. Only I did notice it haha. And trying to screw something in, for instance, also woke the thing up every damn turn haha

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm on day 3 with my Moto 360 and the battery is laughably bad. Day one was less than 8 hours. Day two less than 12. So far today, it's been off the charger for 3 hours and is already down to 75%. As a former Pebble wearer, I expected the 360 to have worse battery life, but I didn't expect it to be THIS bad. I have ambient mode OFF, too.

I refuse to disable tilt to wake because, seriously, what's the point of a watch if you can't glance at it to tell the time?

Honestly...is this terrible battery normal? Or could it he defective?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on day 3 with my Moto 360 and the battery is laughably bad. Day one was less than 8 hours. Day two less than 12. So far today, it's been off the charger for 3 hours and is already down to 75%. As a former Pebble wearer, I expected the 360 to have worse battery life, but I didn't expect it to be THIS bad. I have ambient mode OFF, too.

I refuse to disable tilt to wake because, seriously, what's the point of a watch if you can't glance at it to tell the time?

Honestly...is this terrible battery normal? Or could it he defective?

You should be getting a minimum of 24 hours of battery life with light use. You will not get full battery life until several charge cycles (give it 4 to 7 days). Turning off tilt to wake is a perfectly valid test to see if you are accidentally waking the watch, doesn't have to be permanent.

If after that you are still having problems, check out this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-360/471939-what-do-when-360-misbehaves.html

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
i just got my moto 360 on wednesday evening, fully charged it and used it on thursday.

watch was off-charger by 710am and it lasted till about 700pm when it turned off on its own. tilt-to-wake, ambient, pedometer, hrm, etc is off. i got ~12 hours of use. mind you, i was stress testing the watch like crazy - changing watch faces via watchmaker all day, messing with the faces that had features, i received notifications and sent replies to text messages, etc. if the battery does get better after a few charge cycles and i stop playing with it so much after the novelty wears off, i can live with that type of battery life.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i just got my moto 360 on wednesday evening, fully charged it and used it on thursday.

watch was off-charger by 710am and it lasted till about 700pm when it turned off on its own. tilt-to-wake, ambient, pedometer, hrm, etc is off. i got ~12 hours of use. mind you, i was stress testing the watch like crazy - changing watch faces via watchmaker all day, messing with the faces that had features, i received notifications and sent replies to text messages, etc. if the battery does get better after a few charge cycles and i stop playing with it so much after the novelty wears off, i can live with that type of battery life.

Not only will the life improve by at least 25% with more charging cycles, but once your use it more calmly and turn off the pretty unnecessary "ambient" mode, it will probably at least double. Plus use caution- some watch faces can and will zap the battery. Hard to know which ones unless you test it. So far I only hit one and after I realized it was bad, wiped that sucker right off.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if any of you are experiencing the same, but Facer updated a couple days ago... and just like that, my watch dies in half the time, barely using it, with the same watchface I've always been using. Switched to a stock one (not Facer) and battery life is back to normal.

Don't know if Facer updated again or not as I'm in China and everything is blocked here, but I hope they do and fix that. Otherwise it's no more Facer for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza