Goodbye Moto360... For now...

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
well, after much usage and deliberation, i decided to return my moto360.

it was a great device. i fully understood what i was purchasing so i did not expect it to perform like a traditional watch. my expectations were to get discreet notifications, tell time, and do some fun things like using the heart rate monitor and other fun stuff. also, the the discount price of $179 couldn't be beat.

after nearly a month of using it every day, here are my observations:

pros - subjectively, its a great looking device. its very noticiable, and many people made comments about how great it looks. tech people instantly recognized it as a smartwatch (thankfully not as an apple watch) and it was a great ice breaker. notifications, when it worked, worked great. voice to text, voice to call, voice to 'ok google' all worked quite well and i made good use of it. battery life was GREAT. i really mean that. when it worked right, i was getting 2-3% drain per hour. that left me with ~50% battery remaining after 15+ hours of use.

cons - being an early adopter certainly has its growing pains. my best guess is that android wear occasionally freaked out and the results were the watch growing hot, random battery drains, random disconnects, notifications randomly not showing up on the watch. i also posted before about google fit and motoconnect using up some battery life even though all settings were off. constantly having to manage the device so its paired and working with my phone was also starting to become a chore. i'd have to constantly check to see if its working ok, or if it started to freak out and draining both watch and phone battery. of course, reboots of either or both devices would fix it but it was bothersome nonetheless. the heart rate monitor was hit or miss. when you are absolutely still and having the device firmly against your arm, it would be accurate to about +5 beats/minute. in any kind of motion, the HRM would utterly fail at getting any reading. i'm not a big pedometer user but it too was off but it was consistently off so i suppose that was a good thing.

the biggest con of all though, and this is why i decided to return the device, is the social interaction/response/perception. i'm not a rude person (on purpose anyway), and yet, i had several people ask if i was busy or had to be somewhere because i was checking my watch. this surprised me. i was innocently checking my notifications but people who don't know i have a smartwatch perceived i was too busy. by extension, they may have assumed i didn't want to be in their company.

i hate to say it, but, with the general public getting to know about smartwatches with the release of the apple watch, perhaps public perception will be more accepting of people constantly checking their watches. in fact, perhaps smartwatches should NOT look like traditional watches just so people can make the distinction more easily. i had no problems when i used it at my work desk, at home, or driving. but i'm a social person, and i'm also a watch person (i have about a dozen) and for me, a smartwatch was unfortunately NOT the answer... not yet anyway. i may look into it again when both the technology and app development matures a bit more and it becomes socially acceptable, or at least the general public is more aware and accepting of how people with smartwatches will act.

this is, of course, my personal experience. ymmv. take with appropriate sized grain of salt for your purposes.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, and disagree at the same time. Watches are evolving, and the social aspect of it all, unfortunately, is not any better than actually taking out your phone and being on it all the time; something we see every day more in social gatherings that might as well have happened via videoconferencing as everyone seems to be immersed in their phone screens. With the watch, at least, you get a bit of added discretion.

To me, it's been very fun to see people's reactions to me talking to my watch, swiping on my watch, but the best reactions i get is when I turn the watch screen on with my nose (if I'm holding something on my other hand, ironically it's usually my phone, I've gotten to the habit of turning the watch on with my nose), which leads people to think I'm smelling my watch :p

But the Moto360 IS a looker. It certainly turns heads and gets you noticed (sometimes, like Jerry's experience, not for the better as you get stopped by TSA for talking to your watch). I'm really excited for the LG one, because it looks very stylish, but the Moto360 still has a touch of class to it, not looking entirely like a common watch but still retaining the familiar shape.

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad you mentioned about it randomly not receiving notifications. I recently bought a Moto 360 and I've been experiencing the same problem. I was beginning to worry that I had a defective device, but now I'm not so worried since you experienced it too.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, not sure if it's an Android Wear thing or a Moto360 thing, but it's a thing haha. I seem to notice it A LOT after dismissing a GMail notification. It kinda gets stuck there.

Also, if you use Hangouts as your SMS app, there's a weird bug that keeps your replies from being sent. If you receive a message and reply using your watch, that's cool. BUT if you receive a message, open it on your watch and are either reading the message or replying to it, if a second message from the same conversation comes along, it keeps your reply from being sent. I've had a few mishaps with people thinking I wasn't paying attention and only because they weren't getting a reply I thought I had sent.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you, and disagree at the same time. Watches are evolving, and the social aspect of it all, unfortunately, is not any better than actually taking out your phone and being on it all the time; something we see every day more in social gatherings that might as well have happened via videoconferencing as everyone seems to be immersed in their phone screens. With the watch, at least, you get a bit of added discretion.
that's the thing though - i'm one of the few people who do not leave my phone out on the dining table at home or when i go out with friends. when i'm out and sitting down at a restaurant, the phone is either in my back pocket (as far as it'll go in while sitting) or under my thigh so i can feel it vibrate. but i don't put it out on the table. it has become socially acceptable to have the phone out on the dining table but i personally feel that's rude. to this day, in such a social setting, looking at your watch is pretty much universal for "i'm too busy to be here" so constantly looking at your smartwatch sends all the wrong signals!

To me, it's been very fun to see people's reactions to me talking to my watch, swiping on my watch, but the best reactions i get is when I turn the watch screen on with my nose (if I'm holding something on my other hand, ironically it's usually my phone, I've gotten to the habit of turning the watch on with my nose), which leads people to think I'm smelling my watch :p
i must admit, people did watch with some amusement when i would demo some of the features of the device. and i'm glad i'm not the only one who woke the watch up with my nose!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
While i liked the Moto 360, i did not find Android Wear to be where I EXPECTED (i.e. my fault), recently sold mine.

Pros
  • Design and Look - has style and is sleek
  • I had no notification issues, worked great always
  • Battery was greatm if i shut off at night I could get almost 3 days of use.
  • Call notification is great, as well as Voice OK Google functionality

Cons
  • Samsung S6 battery was being drained A LOT by Android Wear. After selling watch and removing all Android Wear apps and Google Fit, my battery life has almost doubled. I didnt have this problem with my Nexus 5 so it could be more Samsung related but nevertheless was a CON for me.
  • Functionality with third party Apps severly lacking. The device has multiple sensors not being used, unfortunate.
  • Screen solution was average at best, not a major deal since its so small and does the job but still not very sharp.
  • Android Wear is just taking too long to evolve, for me personally.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While i liked the Moto 360, i did not find Android Wear to be where I EXPECTED (i.e. my fault), recently sold mine.

Pros
  • Design and Look - has style and is sleek
  • I had no notification issues, worked great always
  • Battery was greatm if i shut off at night I could get almost 3 days of use.
  • Call notification is great, as well as Voice OK Google functionality

Cons
  • Samsung S6 battery was being drained A LOT by Android Wear. After selling watch and removing all Android Wear apps and Google Fit, my battery life has almost doubled. I didnt have this problem with my Nexus 5 so it could be more Samsung related but nevertheless was a CON for me.
  • Functionality with third party Apps severly lacking. The device has multiple sensors not being used, unfortunate.
  • Screen solution was average at best, not a major deal since its so small and does the job but still not very sharp.
  • Android Wear is just taking too long to evolve, for me personally.

Just to be fair, I don't think this was Android Wear draining your battery more than it was Google Fit. The Lollipop update is known to have some issues with Google Fit and the Heart Rate Sensor in Samsung phones. So yeah, it's a Samsung thing, but not triggered by Android Wear but by Google Fit.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Just to be fair, I don't think this was Android Wear draining your battery more than it was Google Fit. The Lollipop update is known to have some issues with Google Fit and the Heart Rate Sensor in Samsung phones. So yeah, it's a Samsung thing, but not triggered by Android Wear but by Google Fit.

You're likely correct, it was when I removed both google fit and android wear that my was corrected, also i dont have bluetooth on anymore but i dont remember bluetooth ever causing major battery drain. the reason i raise AW is the battery draining started before Google Fit was rereleased for Samsung devices.