Can the 360 be used without a hand?

Disc Golfer

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I know it seems like a strange question, but my father was born without his left hand due to a drug they used in the 50's for morning sickness (Thalidomide). He is one of the lucky ones that came out of it with only "minor" issues. He basically has a nub for a left hand. If you imagine your left hand was gone (never there) right at the wrist, you can imagine what he has. All of that being said, most people never notice that he is missing a hand because he does everything a person with 2 hands can do and much more.

Now to my actual question, do you think my dad could use this watch effectively? I think it could be a real benefit to him, but i don't want it to frustrate him and highlight to him that he's struggling because of the missing hand. If anyone who has this watch would be so kind as to try using the features of the watch while making their hand into a fist and only using their knuckles to operate it and let me know how hard it is I would be super appreciative. Any pros/cons that you can think of that he may face would be awesome also.

Thank you very much!

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I want to say yes, but honestly it mainly just depends on what he would be using it for. I guess I should say if he can operate a touchscreen smartphone reasonably well I don't see any reason that he shouldn't be able to use an Android Wear device.

Most of the basic uses like telling the time and viewing notifications can be done with broad gestures that are fairly easy to do, so for that I don't think he would have any issues. A lot of the other features can be done via voice inputs so there shouldn't be any issues there either. But if he is going to be diving into the menus and launching specific apps it might get a bit more fiddily for him as some of the on screen buttons are quite small.

But overall I can definitely see it being an overall benefit. Just being able to see, and even respond to notifications via voice, without having to dig out his phone could be helpful, and even a time saver for him.

Disc Golfer

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much Slow_S10. I've watched many videos on it and I got the same impression you gave, but wanted to pose the specific question to actual owners in case there was something I might have missed in the videos.

As for operating the smartphone, I think he generally does most of it with just his one hand or puts it down on a table depending on the situation. I don't know how much he actually uses his other "hand" for smartphone use.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you need any hands to use most any Android Wear watch you really only need one. I wear it on my left wrist and any need to touch it is done with my right hand. One arm would pose more of an issue, but it could still be useful via voice commands and wrist/arm actions. Wrist actions will only become more effective on 5.1.1 (which I haven't received). You should look for a 5.1.1 demo on the LG Urbane to see what I mean. In short you can scroll forward and backwards by flicking/turning your wrist forward or backwards. If they add a gesture for getting to and selecting actions (say delete) it could be completely hands free (you can do many via voice already). I very much agree it could be beneficial for your father just as much or more than anyone else. I really bought it for looks and have been really surprised with the convenience the smart aspect has brought with it.

Disc Golfer

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ConTejas for your thoughts. I'll look into 5.1.1. I guess I should have mentioned that the watch has to be worn on the same arm that he has his hand. A watch on the other arm would just slide off. Obviously this would be a non-issue if it could be on the other arm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood