Not exactly jumping ship, but bought an LG G Watch

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Unquestionably, (by most accounts) it is less mature than the 360, but there was an ebay sell for a batch of refubs for $50, and I just couldn't resist at that price -- I mean, that's peanuts for an Android Wear smart watch. I also got a steel band for $10 on Amazon to go with it. That gives me a round smart watch and rectangular alternative based on my mood. Maybe a waste of money -- we'll see. Battery life sounds to be very good for this model (though screen quality not as good as the 360 in sunlight).

I had considered waiting for the second generation of Android Wear hardware/software. but from what I've seen so far, I think that advance is going to be evolutionary at best. If that's the case, I can wait until next year this time, to pick from 2nd generation options at bargain prices, or wait for 3rd generation where I hope real progress will be made.

I'm still considering the new color Pebble, but again, that may be a wait for price reductions in that product line.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how you like it.

Posted via the Android Central App
Did you ever get your G Watch?
Let us know how you like it.

Posted via the Android Central App
After wearing the LG for over a week, I have a good feel for it compared to the Moto 360. I still prefer the 360 from a purely esthetic perspective, but I don't there are too many dissenters on that point. The LG had 5.1.1 on it immediately upon receipt and upgrade check, so I was able to experience the 5.1.1 changes with LG before I forced it onto my 360 a couple of days ago; that was a nice, temporary, advantage. The LG seems more readable for me; I guess due to it's square form factor. Here, the 360 scores in appearance, but loses points on functionality. The LG is a beast for battery life. In my last 24 hour test (all day usage, and night stand storage off the charger, I had 13% remaining on the moto, and 33% remaining on the LG. The real kicker here is that the LG is always on. It goes into a low function mode (turning off animations, and reducing the color pallet to B&W), but a very readable face (unlike ambient), and on tilt, it goes into full mode will all animations and colors.

Neither are worth a spit in daylight, but I wasn't expecting that. If I want a color smart watch with multi-day battery and daylight readability, I'm going to have to jump to Pebble, but after the AC review of the new Pebble Time, I find myself lukewarm, and very much on the fence for that platform.

I wear the LG to work on non-tie days, and the moto when I dress up a little more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2