Android Wear Update 5.1.1 Opinions

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
@crxssi
LMAO, everything you've said, I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Yesterday I turned off the WiFi and said the heck with it. It works sometimes (very little) and then most of the time I get that the watch is offline, and like you said, I know dang well I have a great connection to my router.

My life got a lot simpler pretending this watch doesn't have WiFi, and in the back of my mind, I'll continue to hope that an update comes out to make this feature more rock solid and stable but right now, FORGET IT! The stability isn't there.

Posted via the Android Central App

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
With my Droid HTC DNA, the WiFi on this watch doesn't work at all, I'm guessing it's maybe because my DNA is not talking with Google's servers correctly or something (I don't anymore). I have a Razr Maxx hd and with it paired to the watch, I can get the WiFi feature to work part of the time on this watch, hit or miss, seems to work 30% of the time and 70% not working.

Posted via the Android Central App

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Got the update installed - used about 25% of battery doing so. Haven't hooked it up to wifi yet (will be more useful at work than home since I am in bluetooth range everywhere at home), but tried some other stuff. Flicking the wrist takes a bit of getting used to, but I managed to read and dismiss notifications that way. Google Maps is now working - that will be very useful. Question on the Contacts - it looks like it only shows the last eight people you've contacted and not all of one's contacts, is that the way it's supposed to be?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Question on the Contacts - it looks like it only shows the last eight people you've contacted and not all of one's contacts, is that the way it's supposed to be?

Yes. It is just the most recent and/or the ones you "starred" (favorites). Just watch the descriptions on what the phone numbers are (home/work/mobile/etc), because they are screwed up and often wrong on the watch (how the hell does such a huge bug get through testing??)...

Hayrii Kaya

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
You may be wanting something that the watch simply can't do. I had the impression that the wi-fi feature was an extension of the bluetooth connection that allows the watch to be more than 30 feet from the phone and still maintain a connection. They both need to be on the same wi-fi network, so leaving your phone at home sever the connection to the watch. What you are wanting would require a cellular connection.

Sorry but that is not correct. Wi-Fi on Moto 360 is not an extension of bluetooth connection, it's stand alone feature that device has. You can test this very simply,

1- Connect your Moto 360 to home Network,
2- Turn off Bluetooth on your phone,
3- Sign out your phone from your home network
4- Turn on mobile on the phone,

Now your watch is on your home Network, your phone is on mobile and have bluetooth OFF

I tested a few applications with above setup and all worked very well!

1- With camera remote app it worked, I could capture photo,
2- With find my phone app it worked, phone alarmed in a few seconds,
3- With Android Wear app to send watch face to device and it worked...

Edit: Because of Bluetooth is OFF Android wear assumes that device is not connected, and warns you, but still sends watch face to the smartwatch. Simply because connection is established via different wireless networks, between your phone and watch :)

Last edited:

Hayrii Kaya

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I agree and wonder if this is something that will come later. AW still seems to be in it's infancy such as Android back with Donut and Eclair, etc.

You are right AW is still baby and must grow.

I found a simple way to connect AW devices to another wi-fi, if needed and if your phone is not with you :) But you have to have at least one saved Network on your AWs " saved network" list.

Use any other cellphone that is capable of tethering, just tether an SSID name same with one of the Network names found in your "saved networks" list on AW device. You don't have to set a password to tethered SSID, AW will join this network. (But if you want to give a password you have to go with same password.)

Second way is that, create a hotspot on a wifi capable computer (by using Connectify for example), SSID with same name of one of the saved network names on AW device, give same password and your AW device will join the network :)

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Something I noticed this morning was I wasn't getting notifications on my watch when its tied to my droid DNA through Bluetooth. On my razr maxx hd yesterday, I was getting notifications come up on the watch.

On the android wear app on each phone, I had left unchecked to mute calls and alerts when connected to the watch. On the DNA, it wasn't working this way, so this morning I checked mute calls and alerts, and I started getting notifications come up on the watch.

My razr maxx hd, it worked both ways. I used to love this phone but after buying this DNA from my mom, I love this phone, I didn't know better before. I'd love to get a newer phone but I don't want a payment or be under a contract, plus I just can't afford it right now, I have to pay for this 360 now for a while.

They call them there things phones, will I'll be.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
My battery is abysmal! Off the charger at 645am. Before the update I'd be roughly around 80-85% at this point of the day. I just checked and I'm already at 40%!!!! Terrible! Oh now it's 37%. What the heck is going on...?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-23-10-36-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-23-10-36-58.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 40

Ozman44

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
My battery is abysmal! Off the charger at 645am. Before the update I'd be roughly around 80-85% at this point of the day. I just checked and I'm already at 40%!!!! Terrible! Oh now it's 37%. What the heck is going on...?

I had the same issue. I fixed it by turning off WIFI and Cloud sync. I know those were a big part of the update but at least we get back our battery life.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
As of 6:39pm on 6/23, I tried saving a reminder on my droid razr maxx hd, will the sound for the reminder goes off on the razr but the watch doesn't vibrate, the card comes up but doesn't vibrate, very annoying.

I was counting on this watch for reminders, and what's the point if it will not vibrate to remind one.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
As of 6:39pm on 6/23, I tried saving a reminder on my droid razr maxx hd, will the sound for the reminder goes off on the razr but the watch doesn't vibrate, the card comes up but doesn't vibrate, very annoying.

I was counting on this watch for reminders, and what's the point if it will not vibrate to remind one..

Well, I can set an alarm on the phone, and that doesn't do anything on the watch either. Crazy, I tell ya...

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can set an alarm on the phone, and that doesn't do anything on the watch either. Crazy, I tell ya...

This update is annoying, wish now I could have postponed it. I sat last night fooling with this watch and the two phones i have from 6:30 to 10:00, and after a few factory resets on the watch, I got the reminders to work for a second, the watch vibrated when the alarm went off.

Last night during that time, I got what I think you got, first time this has happened, the watch was on 75% battery life, paired it with my droid DNA, I tried the WiFi again, the dang watch had a card come up saying it disabled the WiFi and putting it in power save mode to conserve the battery, I said aloud "what? The watch battery is at 75% that makes no sense"

Bugs bugs bugs!

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just tried the Google clock alarm on my Nexus 5 and it notified my M360.

I certainly am eating my shoes a lot lately....
I just tried it and it worked- notifying the watch! I hadn't actually tried it since the update- is this something new? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere and I did test it about a month ago and it failed so I researched it and people said that Wear didn't support phone alarms.

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The wrist flick is working for me for the first time with the update. That alone is a big improvement for me.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I certainly am eating my shoes a lot lately....
I just tried it and it worked- notifying the watch! I hadn't actually tried it since the update- is this something new? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere and I did test it about a month ago and it failed so I researched it and people said that Wear didn't support phone alarms.

Sometimes things work,sometimes they don't, aka glitches. I don't think it's you I think it's Android Wear. :D

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
But...is it me, or does the wrist-flick to turn on the display no longer work?

Same here.
Screen will only turn on if I tap it or press button, or if a notification comes in. Used to work great when raising wrist to face.

* * Edit: figured it out. For some reason in AW app on phone, 'tilt to wake' feature was off, so I re-enabled it and it works again :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci