At the end of my rope with fitness tracking

tundrachick

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
So I've had the 360 for a couple months, and I love many, many things about it.

But other than step tracking, as near as I can tell, as an activity monitor, it's completely useless. I can work out for half an hour, and sometimes Google Fit will capture, oh, five minutes. Usually, it captures nothing. Moto usually captures nothing at all, though sometimes for no reason, it suddenly works on a particular day. This is exercise that other heart rate monitors show is plenty strenuous.

Same is true of moderate activity. Sometimes it captures a little. Often none. Today, I used Moto Heart Rate to measure my heart rate during my workout several times, and it showed it in the zone, and it still counted zero minutes. It shows silly things like burning seven calories in a half-hour workout.

It just seems, as I said, useless. The band is tight. The watch is where you put a watch. I know this is new technology, but why is it ... so bad?

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
What do you do for working out?

I run and cycle. I haven't had any issue with it counting my steps (I don't assume it captures all steps tho). That said, you have to swing your arms enough that it registers a step.

I also use my watch in conjunction with a fitness app. Runtastic tracks my runs and cycling. It tracks about 50 other types of exercise as well. It communicates with 360. I also track steps both my 360 using the UP app.

Also, you can't use the 360 for heart rate while working out as the watch wants you to be still for accurate heart rate. There are some nice HRM available on the market that will communicate with a smart phone.

Rocking the Note 4

hnguyen

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I ran into this post. Im planning to buy a moto360 to track my workout runs with endomondo.

Right now I have a pebble and it allows me to start and stop endomondo while my phone is in my running belt. In addition I have a chest strap hrm that is also connected to endomondo via ant+. And during a long run, 5+ miles, I wear my monster freedom headphones. That's a lot of gear to take when running and I was hoping the moto360 with its hrm would allow me to get rid of my chest strap and count steps for Google fit when I don't have my phone with me when Walking around the office or at home.

With OPs post I'm concerned the moto360 won't accurately track HR or steps. Just want to know is this true for most people.

Posted via Android Central App

Madevo

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I find it very accurate for steps. In terms of constant HR, that's not its focus but if you want to use it for that I'd recommend downloading the app cinch.

This is more of a lifestyle fitness tool, than a tool for the hardcore athlete. I use it to track my cycling, but it's simply to start and end rides.

Last edited:

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
endomondo is one I haven't used.

the 360 talks to runtastik, i can start and stop a workout with my watch. So yeah it should be able to do that if endomondo has their app set up for android wear.

I run with my Note4 strapped to my left arm, tracking the gps of my run and also playing some tunes for my run (have an LG bluetooth earbud set). So I can also control the music with my 360.

I know the 360 tracks heartrate throughout the day and probably during a run, but to be honest I wouldn't rely on it for accuracy. Any time i've asked it to check my HR it requires me to be absolutely still. So, that's not happening obviously when I'm booking it down the road in a run.

I don't think that the 360 can help with an ant+ HR monitor (not sure it has the antenna) but it may communicate through the phone just fine as there is software for it I believe. I don't have an ant+ hr (yet) so take all that with a grain of salt.

I don't use google fit because last time I tried it sucked. I have used Moto body... seems to work.

Guess I should try fit again, maybe they've fixed the suckiness.

hnguyen

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I currently use an S6. It supports Ant+ so it allowed me to use my old Timex hrm chest strap. I'm thinking about replacing the hrm which is why I was considering the moto360.

It seems the moto360 won't be accurate during runs so I may have to get a new chest strap. That's too bad.

Google fit is a lot better since the May updates. But it may be too basic for some people. I only use it to track steps and automatically detects when I jog or run and to get a general outline of how many calories I've burned. And I usually record my daily weight in the morning with it. I don't always have my phone on me at all times, buts its often nearby and an android watch with Google fit would keep better track for me, at least that is the assumption.

For mapping and stats of my runs I use endomondo. I have almost 7 years worth of data. And for me the HR data is one of the most important stat for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jim Astley

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I also use endomondo successfully. It is better than the other apps for Moto360 display.

Have had a couple of issues.
1. Sometimes bluetooth is intermittent, and it seems to be important to start timing from the Moto rather than phone.
2. Moto battery life drops by about 50% for an hour run. Need to recharge while I'm in the shower or moto won't last the day. For one who runs farther, Pebble may be a better answer as legibility in sunlight and battery life are better.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
What do you do for working out?

I run and cycle. I haven't had any issue with it counting my steps (I don't assume it captures all steps tho). That said, you have to swing your arms enough that it registers a step.

I also use my watch in conjunction with a fitness app. Runtastic tracks my runs and cycling. It tracks about 50 other types of exercise as well. It communicates with 360. I also track steps both my 360 using the UP app.

Also, you can't use the 360 for heart rate while working out as the watch wants you to be still for accurate heart rate. There are some nice HRM available on the market that will communicate with a smart phone.

Rocking the Note 4

Sending you a pm

limeyinusa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Agree. It's not a fitness tracker. However it does work well with fitness apps. I use Runkeeper and I can start if from the watch and see stats. If that helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma