First Thoughts on Moto 360 2014

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been around these forums in ages. I am contemplating exchanging for the newer model depending on how my trial period goes. I picked this up on Saturday after work, and have 14 days to return it.
I just noticed the price dropped at Best Buy, down to $199 and I decided to take the plunge after months of thinking about getting a smartwatch. I did pay the extra $40 for in-store replacement, they knocked it down from $50. I couldn't wait to get home with it, so I opened it up in the parking lot and it was dead as a doornail. It said to initially charge it for 2 hours, which was a long 2 hours. It actually only charged to 75%, and not knowing about the update that I was about to get, which requires 80% to update.
There's a bit of a learning curve but I'm catching on to it now. Battery life went from 11 hours on Sunday, 14 hours Monday, and 14.5 hours today with 22% left. I am keeping WiFi off, Wrist Gestures off, Ambient Screen off and after downloading Wear Launcher am able to further lower the brightness to bare minimum, as well as using Slumber to prevent apparent screen burn.
I like the Find My Phone app, which reminds you if you get separated from your phone. Notifications from the wrist are fairly discreet, and growing on me.
I've tried both Google Fit and Moto Body. I find both aren't very accurate as far as footsteps taken, and/or monitoring your active fitness time in minutes. Taking your heartrate seems a little ridiculous as well. I tried seeing what my heart rate was a few times on the treadmill and it can't seem to get a proper reading unless I'm perfectly still, not exactly ideal.
I haven't figured out if you can change the pre-made text message replies. That would be handy.
The lack of a dialer seems a bit odd to me as well.
I was also surprised by a lack of notifications when I was using Google Maps Navigation. I thought at the very least it might let me know when turns were coming up, maybe I missed something.
I'm glad I got it at the price I did. I'm not entirely sold on it, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I think I'll know better in another week if this is for me, and if it is, I may just return it and use the money towards the second generation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back, and congratulations on your shiny new toy!:D

Regarding navigation, open your Android Wear app on your phone, go to the section that says "Jump into action with watch apps," and make sure Navigate is set to use Maps.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out. I had to uninstall the Google Maps update in the play store, then I reinstalled it and once it reinstalled, Google Maps Micro installed on my watch. Weird lol.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
A week in and I think I'm sold on this smartwatch, although I wasn't totally sure when I first got it. A few hiccups here and there have been sorted out, and it seems to be growing on me every day. I have one more week of trial period which ends on Saturday and I am wondering if I should return the watch and buy the 2nd generation, which doesn't get released until 16 October. That means I will not have a watch for 20 days! 😱 I think I would like the longer battery life as well as the new strap, supposedly easier to switch straps out. Decisions, decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34