Worth it to get the OG Moto 360 now?

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking at Android smartwatches for a while now, and ever since I got my shiny new S6 edge I've wanted to grab a smartwatch for it as well. Since I live in Canada, pricing and availability for the 2nd Gen Moto 360 is ridiculous... No Moto Maker and the watch is approximately $400. So I've been really considering the first gen 360 (still $200, but I'm hoping the price will drop for the holiday season). So I'm wondering- is this still a solid smartwatch? Performance ok? Battery life? Should I save my money and go for a newer device, or is this still a good buy? Also, bonus question- will it work with an iPhone 5 (I have one kicking around that I use once in a while). I've read articles saying it will but is this still true on the latest Android wear software and iOS 9? Any thoughts/comments appreciated. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
You'll need an Android device running KitKat or above so you can update the watch to the latest version of Wear before you can use it with an iOS device.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't recommend that as functionality is super-limited.

I've had this watch for about 2 weeks now, having been in the same boat as you...due to my country's currency it was 3 times cheaper to buy the OG model over the 2015 model, so I'm smitten really. Battery life is OK (quite good if you leave ambient off, 14 hours with ambient off and about 11 with ambient on), but IMO the convenience of easily being able to drop it on a Qi pad and charge it negates that somewhat. Performance isn't snappy but I'm not complaining - it's not like it drags or freezes for me. I think the biggest thing about the 360 is the look and feel. The round screen is awesome. The flat tire is awesome (auto adjusting brightness). The build is beautiful. If you want this watch for form over function then this is your watch. I've heard good things about the new Zenwatches for AW devices on a budget, but personally I really wanted a round smartwatch. Also, you're basically getting a premium watch (with glass and metal) for the same price as the plasticky Pebble Time.

If you are sold on smartwatches for now (I'm waiting till the 3rd or 4th wave of smartwatches before I go all-in), I'd save up for the new 360 and/or smartwatches because they'll be faster and have better battery life.

Hope that helps!

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I'm not planning on using the 360 primarily with my iPhone, I only wanted to know if it would indeed work if I wanted to use it. The Asus watches are interesting but I do want a circular watch and I don't think that the Zenwatches are available locally here. Like you I'm not "fully in" for smartwatches but I would love to own one to complement my phone (I get a ton of notifications too so viewing them on my watch would be great). Battery life would be my greatest concern but I think it'll be OK since I'm not planning on using the watch extensively throughout the day.

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Also, one more thing- can you charge the watch with any QI wireless charger, or does it only work with the one that comes in the box? Because I own a wireless charger for my S6 and it'd be nice if I could charge the 360 with it too.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Could it be possible that a regular qi charger would damage the watch battery due to the higher mA output? That has had me afraid to charge my watch on the standard phone qi charger.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Could it be possible that a regular qi charger would damage the watch battery due to the higher mA output? That has had me afraid to charge my watch on the standard phone qi charger.

From the official Motorola website:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/101557/p/2815,9141

"Please note, although using a Qi charging pad will not lead to a consistent charging experience, it will not damage your Moto 360."

The 360 uses the Qi standard, and so it has to be able to tolerate the Qi standard - Motorola just choose to limit the charging speed/consistency due to the heat dissipation during charging at higher currents.

milan187

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
The watch will draw the current it needs so it doesn't matter if the charger is even for 3000mhA.
If however the QI Charger is 200mHa and the watch needs 500mhA it will charge slower then expected.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
So it won't generate more heat inside the watch using a stronger qi charger than the one provided with the watch?

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Well ... I have just ordered one from Google store at £99, so not so bad I reckon. Think I was lucky, as they have continually been out of stock, but I just was refreshing for 20 mins one day whilst watching the TV, and all of a sudden it came back in stock for like 5 mins ... but managed to snap one up :) .. Delivery is days ... YAY :)