Getting repeated BT pairing requests for my car

goldenstate

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
For the past week or so, every time I start my car (a 2012 Mazda3), my Moto 360 vibrates and the message on the display reads "Touch to pair with Mazda." I believe that this behavior started on 01/26/16, when I installed the latest version of Android Wear (1.4.0.2552934). I do not recall ever seeing it before that.

I can't think of any reason that I would want my smartwatch to be paired directly with my car. My phone (a 2015 Moto X Pure Edition) is already paired with the car, for media only. (In the BT settings on the phone, I have phone calls disabled for the car. Rather than use the car audio in speakerphone mode, I prefer to use a separate BT headset because of its superior noise cancellation.)

The first few times I saw the pairing request, I just ignored it. Eventually I got tired of seeing it every time, so I decided to complete the pairing request, just to get it over with. I tried tapping on the card with the pairing message, expecting either that the pairing would follow immediately, or else that I might see a pairing code to approve. But nothing at all happens. I can dismiss the card by swiping it away, or wait for it to time out, but that is all.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, have you been able to complete the BT pairing with your car? Can you tell if doing so adds any functionality? If not, does anyone know of any settings change or whatever that will put an end to these unnecessary pairing requests?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the car's Bluetooth menu, check the list of Bluetooth devices that have been paired. Delete or forget the Moto 360. Now see if that keeps happening.

A similar thing kept happening with my Nexus 6P, because at one point I had paired the phone with my wife's 2010 Mazda6 to play music. Afterwards, every time she came home and drove the car into the garage, my phone would give a notification tone and ask if I wanted to connect to her car. Once I went into her car's menu and deleted that pairing, the notifications went away.

goldenstate

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply, B. Diddy. I pretty much figured out the same thing.

I went into the BT settings menu on my car, deleted all pairings, and then started over from a clean slate. I had pairings set up between the car and three separate smartphones, only one of which I ever use at one time. I did not change anything on the Moto 360 smartwatch, which is still paired with the Moto X Pure Edition that I am currently using as my daily driver. (Again, in the BT settings on the smartphone, I disabled the Phone and Contacts functions, because I only want to use it as a music player via the car audio system.) Everything seems to be working normally now, and I am no longer getting the pairing request messages on my Moto 360 every time I start my car.

It does seem as if installing the new update of Android Wear somehow messed up the configurations. It occurred to me that the card I was getting on the smartwatch display was not actually a pairing request from the car to the watch, but rather to the phone, and that I just happened to be seeing the notification on the watch. I am still not entirely sure what was going on, but at least I was able to make the problem go away. It just took some time to do all the setting up.

Sorry for the long reply to my own question. There is always a chance that someone else run a search and stumble across this thread, so I thought it was a good idea to report that I found a solution.