Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dual use Moto E?

I live in Los Angeles, but spend a good deal of time in England. I am about to make the leap from a flip-phone to a smartphone and thought I would start off with the Moto E. I am not sure which version to buy. I will be leaving Verizon and probably going to T-mobile as a provider.

Could I buy the World version of the phone, which I think would work best in Europe or do I need to buy the US version? FWIW, I live in Santa Monica, which is one of the areas where T-Mobile has changed their spectrum allocation around. I think this might mean that I wouldn't need the 1700/2100 bands. But I am a complete beginner at all this so I would be grateful for some advice.

Dan

Default Re: Dual use Moto E?

Quote Originally Posted by slamtry View Post
    I live in Los Angeles, but send a good deal of time in England. I am about to make the leap from a flip-phone to a smartphone and thought I would start off with the Moto E. I am not sure which version to buy. I will be leaving Verizon and probably going to T-mobile as a provider.

Could I buy the World version of the phone, which I think would work best in Europe or do I need to buy the US version? FWIW, I live in Santa Monica, which is one of the areas where T-Mobile has changed their spectrum allocation around. I think this might mean that I wouldn't need the 1700/2100 bands. But I am a complete beginner at all this so I would be grateful for some advice.

Dan
    Since you're in an area where T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900 MHz spectrum for 3G, you should be fine with the Global GSM model. I'm looking for a model breakdown to be sure which version has which bands.

If you don't need AWS band, then definitely get the global version. The global version have support for 900mhz 3g band, which is lacking in the US version, so if you have the US version you might not get 3g in some part in europe.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The "world" one apparently has HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100.
    The "US" one has HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Dan