Moto E: How to change default storage to external SD?

Aditya_97

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I'm new here :)
I got a Moto E recently. I realized that when I shift my apps to "SD card" (as it says) it actually moves to sdcard0 or internal memory and the APK size actually increases but internal memory actually decreases. I've added pictures to improve your understanding :)

**before moving it to "SD card"
Screenshot_2014-05-26-11-27-43.png

Screenshot_2014-05-26-11-27-48.png
**apk size increases
Screenshot_2014-05-26-11-28-02.png
**internal memory decreases
Screenshot_2014-05-26-11-28-06.png

This could be because probably Motorola's architecture for Moto E might be the same as X and G, as they do not support an external SD port and stores everything in it's internal memory. But Hey! I'm not the expert

So ... I want to change my default path to External SD card like I used to before, I'd cancel out rooting for now, as it's brand new. And I used this 'Adb driver method' I not completely sure on what that's called but it uses the adb drivers to change the default directory to the external memory card. My question is that whether doing that wouldn't affect my applications; as I use ART runtime Would that conk off my device? or it would remain unaffected.

Thanks your help and assistance, eagerly looking forward to some :)
again, THANKS A TONNE :D

Munnay

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Its KitKat dude.

Just forget the SD Card because all its good for is for storing music and videos.

You cant move apps to extSD, you cant Install them there and its been that way forever in AOSP.

I think you had a Samsung device before thats why you are confused. Moto's skin does'nt allow that as this is stock android.

Remove some of the lesser used apps and free some memory. Or best of all Root it and be happy.

JohnBhatt

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

As defined in Android Kitkat Framework, App Data can't be moved to External SD Card. You have option to root your device and use any of Folder Mount software available in Play Store. But rooting voids your warranty and also may stop Future Updates available through FOTA.

If you want to play bigger games, purchase any good phone with ICS (Andriod 4.0.x) which has support to install app data to SD card.

sabungolfer0011

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
DUDE you just got to go to developers options in setting (if not having one there just go into about phone/build number and tap it 5-8 times)and change your form factor from ART to Dalvik cause in ART you can't tranfer applications from internal memory to SD Card ,So just do it :)

Toby Cox

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This is for Sabungolfer0011
....I went to build # and tapped it, it said now I'm a developer, or something like that. How do I change it from ART to Dalvik?

YarsRevenge

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
So you've only freed up about 20MB of internal memory, which is about the same as the increase in size of the apk...

Anyway, I too have a Moto E with the same amount if internal memory and running KitKat, & without root, straight up stock, I can move apps to external SD. Not ALL apps, but depending on their design & publisher, I can move a good deal of apps in the same manner as you. Ive only recently unlocked developer options a week or so ago, but Dalvik was already set by default... I never had to change anything to move apps that have the option to be moved to SD.

JohnBhatt

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You can move apps to SD card but you can not move AppData to SD card. Thats the problem, bigger games like Real Racing has apk size of nearly 70 MB which can be moved to SD card but have AppData of size 1.6 Gb or larger which you can not move. That is the problem and without root there is no solution for this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463