Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoseGui
  • 1 Post By JoseGui
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default Any feedback?

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had a Moto E that they could provide feedback for. I have a Moto X and we are thinking about getting this for our daughter as a first phone. I know about the features it is missing and I'm not too concerned about it.

TIA!

Default Re: Any feedback?

I bought a Moto E at the same time as a Moto X for my wife as part of switching from Verizon to AT&T. I've had it activated for a week now, and so far I'm really impressed and was expecting less for the price. So I'll share the following early impressions, negatives first:

For a kid or teen, the lack of a front camera, and a poor-to-fair rear camera with no flash, may be disappointing. Very minor for me though...

The 4GB memory almost put me off from buying the E, but so far its ability to put compatible apps on the sd card is working out. I cannot imagine using the E without an sd card. So far though I don't have lots of apps on the phone, and time will tell if 4GB is enough. EDIT: I think I'm mistaken about apps going to the external sd card; I believe only certain media actually moves there if an app allows it.

Only other negative for some might be the small size, but I do a lot on my Nexus 7 when I want a larger screen so I like a compact phone. My wife's X os as big as I'd want.

Otherwise, all good. The phone is pretty quick, runs 4.4.2 without hiccups, and gets good reception and clear sounding calls. The screen is decent, not brilliant in bright light but good overall.

Overall, for reasons I can't totally put my finger on, it just seems really solid and not cheap. I got it as a temporary phone, thinking I'd give it to one of my kids when the successor to the X comes out, but I think I could live with it a long time.

Hope that's helpful...
    Thanked by 2:
    RyVitte 
    Ry likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Thanks for the feedback! The lack of front facing camera is my only hesitation, but if she can't just be satisfied with her first phone, then that's just too bad.

I can relate, but I know my younger daughter, who's 14, would grumble about the camera limitations. We got her a used iPhone but made her chip in for it.
    paisley99 likes this.

Get her or him a moto g on Verizon if you don't mind Verizon, you get a front facing camera a better back camera because of flash and more storage because its 8gb but only 5.5gb free and I still have 2gb free on mine and I listen to a lot of music!! But what about pics I upload them to Google drive then delete them of the phone so it all works out for me and just to let you know I'm a 14 year old boy!!! How do I know all this stuff well I'm a huge fan of technology and android!!!😄

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I'm trying to avoid extending our contract.... I have a mint S3 that needs the charging port fixed, so I could do that too. I'm more concerned about battery management with that one. Thanks again everyone!

That reminds me of another positive: battery life good so far on my E. Getting thru a full day not an issue yet, though I don't use lots of screen time or have a ton of background stuff running.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

I purchased one for my dad to replace his aging Iphone 4. The size and quality are really good for the price. We've had a couple of issues. First, the signal is very low (at least the bars are). It shows no bars in places where other phones get 2-3 bars. But he hasn't had any reception issues to speak of, so not sure how accurate the bars are. Also, it came up the other day and said No Sim installed. He had to remove his sim and put it back in. Not sure what that was about but will keep an eye on it. The phone seems excellent and the speakers are very loud on it.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I think it looks boring, and the back is way too slippery. Both might be mitigated once swappable shells become available. Getting the back off is unacceptable though; I broke a nail.

The power button is too flat. Reception is pretty bad, especially GPS. Camera completely useless (fix focus).

But the screen is good, including the oleo-phobic coating, so for the price it's a very nice phone.

Quote Originally Posted by amsparky View Post
    I'm trying to avoid extending our contract.... I have a mint S3 that needs the charging port fixed, so I could do that too. I'm more concerned about battery management with that one. Thanks again everyone!
    You can buy a verizon prepaid moto g at bestbuy right now for $67. From what I understand these work on Verizon as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk