Will unlocking a Moto E allow it to get Lollipop faster?

glove4

May 19, 2012
Visit site
So I got the Cricket Wireless variant of the Moto E that Wal-Mart sells for $50 and have successfully unlocked it with a $3 code from a website. I'm using it with T-Mobile now. In any event, I'd like to know if it is essentially the same as purchasing the unlocked version from Motorola directly, as in likely to get Lollipop once Motorola releases it OTA as opposed to waiting for a carrier locked version (like this Cricket variant) to get the upgrade, which who knows when that would be. If it is now unlocked and able to be used on any GSM carrier from Cricket to T-Mobile, will I now be able to get the OTA upgrade to Lollipop when it's available from Motorola?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So I got the Cricket Wireless variant of the Moto E that Wal-Mart sells for $50 and have successfully unlocked it with a $3 code from a website. I'm using it with T-Mobile now. In any event, I'd like to know if it is essentially the same as purchasing the unlocked version from Motorola directly
No, it's not.

as in likely to get Lollipop once Motorola releases it OTA
They send it to the phones they sold to the end user.

as opposed to waiting for a carrier locked version (like this Cricket variant)
Cricket is an MVNO, not a carrier, and most MVNOs don't OTA updates (you have to get the file and do it yourself). Besides, even if Cricket did send updates, you're not a Cricket customer. (And TMobile wouldn't have the Cricket update.)

If it is now unlocked and able to be used on any GSM carrier from Cricket to T-Mobile, will I now be able to get the OTA upgrade to Lollipop when it's available from Motorola?
Again, no.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that the update is related to your system version. You can see yours in settings - about phone - scroll down.

Your phone will receive a notification when an update is released for that specific version. In it you can see if the phone is retail or locked. It doesn't matter if you managed to unlock it to use a different SIM card.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Side note: Lollipop for any Moto E model is supposedly not in the first batch of Lollipop updates.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad