how do you unlock Sim on Verizon moto e

Jason Orozco1

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey I have a moto e 2015 Verizon variant and I would like to use family mobile Carrie on it instead I'm running 5.1 lollipop HELP

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is that the prepaid or postpaid phone? See this page: Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless

Regarding Walmart Family Mobile, I don't think they allow you to bring your own phone--I couldn't find anything on their website about it. In addition, I think Family Mobile uses the T-Mobile network, which is GSM. A Verizon Moto E would be CDMA, so it's unlikely it would work.

rht34

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought the prepaid moto e 2nd gen. for 50 bucks at walmart the other day and it does work with gsm.
1. Do not activate phone on verizon and do not update to android 5.1
2. Connect to WIFI and download an app on the play store called "network"
3. the "network" app will allow you to change the network mode on the phone from lte/cdma to lte gsm.
4. pop in gsm micro sim(i have tmobile), restart phone and thats it.

If this works on tmobile 4g lte then it should work on family mobile and any gsm network.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I called Verizon about this yesterday. It's pretty well known that Verizon's phones are unlocked by default, but I wasn't sure how this worked for prepaid. I'm traveling internationally and wanted to take the Moto E. They said this was fine and will work the same as a postpaid phone. Just pop a sim in and I'll be good to go.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I have provided incorrect information and I apologize. Classic case of being provided one set of info from a customer care rep and it not panning out. On contract phones work the same as always. Unlocked from purchase.

I found out today after buying the Moto E for international use that the prepaid phones are, in fact, different. I called again after putting in a tmobile sim card and they informed me that prepaid phones are not unlocked until after they have been on a prepaid account for 6 or 12 months (have heard both). I apologize for the incorrect info. Good luck with your device.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have provided incorrect information and I apologize. Classic case of being provided one set of info from a customer care rep and it not panning out. On contract phones work the same as always. Unlocked from purchase.

I found out today after buying the Moto E for international use that the prepaid phones are, in fact, different. I called again after putting in a tmobile sim card and they informed me that prepaid phones are not unlocked until after they have been on a prepaid account for 6 or 12 months (have heard both). I apologize for the incorrect info. Good luck with your device.

I had my mom purchase the Verizon Moto E 2nd gen on Prepaid. Then I put in a Verizon Sim Card from Straight Talk, called them and had them transfer her number and everything to the new phone. Everything works flawlessly except I can not get her to receive mms messages. And I can't edit the apn. I don't know if that's because I updated the phone to Lollipop 5.1.1 and then activated it. But the only part of the apn I can edit is the internet apn to use 4G LTE on Verizon. Everything else is grayed out. And I can't delete the apn either. But other than that it works amazing on Straight Talk. And for $50 + taxes online, or $70 + taxes in store its a great deal. Also for $45 she gets unlimited data with the first 5gb at high speed, unlimited talk, and unlimited text with Verizon's coverage its pretty amazing.

MikeSo

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought the prepaid moto e 2nd gen. for 50 bucks at walmart the other day and it does work with gsm.
1. Do not activate phone on verizon and do not update to android 5.1
2. Connect to WIFI and download an app on the play store called "network"
3. the "network" app will allow you to change the network mode on the phone from lte/cdma to lte gsm.
4. pop in gsm micro sim(i have tmobile), restart phone and thats it.

If this works on tmobile 4g lte then it should work on family mobile and any gsm network.

I did this with my prepaid Moto E from Verizon, bought at Best Buy. Doing this enabled me to put in a T-Mobile SIM without any issues (other than the phone having a notification up that it wasn't on Verizon), and I could use the phone fine on T-Mobile's network.

solarson

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased this Verzion Moto-E 2015. I am still waiting for it to be delivered. I thought this phone should be unlocked until I see this forum. Verizon web site has the unlock policy. It's sad that this phone somehow fall into exception??

Prepaid Device Unlocking Policy:

We do not lock our 4G LTE Prepaid devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
We do not lock our 3G Prepaid devices, other than our 3G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones, and the simple code to program such 3G Prepaid devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.” If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (888)294-6804, for assistance.
Our 3G Prepaid Phone-in-the-Box phones are restricted for use with our Prepaid service for six months after activation, and are locked to the Verizon Wireless network for 12 months after activation. After six months, the restriction to our Prepaid service is automatically removed. After 12 months, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless Prepaid phone, or (888)294-6804, and we will provide you with the programming code so that you can unlock your phone. If the user guide for your phone does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, we can help you with that as well.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I think rht34's suggestion did the trick for me, even though my new Moto E has Android 5.1. Thanks!! Just picked this phone up on Black Friday, because... $10.

lhmd

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I also bought a prepaid Verizon Moto E at bestbuy an tried the same steps suggested but no luck, mine switches back and forth to T-Mobile network to disconnected (T-M sim card) any ideas?

wassifdurrani

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
can someone help me i picked up the best buy deal for 10$ - i am with Telus in Canada and nothing works to unlock it
i downloaded the network app but no idea what to select, i get an option for US cellular or GSM cellaur and it does nothing

any help would be greatly appreciated.

azhar123456

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Xendula, can u let me know what process did follow, I also bought MOTO E from bestbuy this thanksgiving.
I put in a different sim AT&T, then downloaded the Network app, chose GSM/LTE radio option and preferred network type automatically changed to 4G. but still the sim networks signals are disabled with a cross mark on it. Can you tell me what extra you did. Thanks in advance.

MonJ

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I followed the videos on youtube /watch?v=oP94CjbwMm8 and watch?v=PPXQd6MagHg. Android 5.1 the videos work fine. If you dont have the shell you can download from google

prarjun1990

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
@rht34 : I also bought a new Moto e with verizon 4G LTE for 10$. And I'm trying to install "Network" app from Play store but when I type the word Network, play store is stopping all of a sudden by itself & exiting. I just wanted to know is there any other alternate app/way to get this fix. I wanna go to my Lyca mobile network. Can anybody help me ??

DJKovesh

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine was doing the same thing and I just let the Play Store update all of the apps and then I think that did it. Alternately, search for the "Network" app using Chrome which will let you open it directly in the Play Store without searching for it with the Play Store app. For me, it seems like there is a weird bug that would cause the Play Store to crash when searching for an app after typing a few characters. I cannot speak to it working on the Family Mobile carrier because I have Verizon, but at least this should get you the app you're looking for. Hope one of these work for you! Good luck!

maxadam805

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Moto e phone from Best Buy today 12/26, installed the Network app, ran through all the steps but carrier name flickers and never overrided LTE/CDMA. When calling I get message "No SIM". Can someone please help?