Best Buy Black Friday 2015: $9.99 Moto E (2nd gen, Verizon Prepaid)

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I bought one of these and I was curious if I could take the prepaid SIM out before turning the phone on the first time, and then put my existing SIM on a regular Verizon plan into it without the Moto e still acting as a prepaid phone, or changing my plan? Is that possible?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought one of these and I was curious if I could take the prepaid SIM out before turning the phone on the first time, and then put my existing SIM on a regular Verizon plan into it without the Moto e still acting as a prepaid phone, or changing my plan? Is that possible?
Yes you can put an active Verizon 4GLTE post paid sim card and it will work fine. I have done it before.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So for those who did buy the Moto e, how is it.

I mean how does it perform for a $10 phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Google Play store keeps closing down on me when searching for more than one app, and I have to restart the device. For a $10 phone, though, it's really nice. Much, MUCH, nicer screen than a $50 unlocked BLU phone I bought for work, then returned.

Justin_1138

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
When does anyone think this phone will be back at this price?

Could anyone suggest a similar phone at a comparable price?

I think I only paid $50 for my Moto E (2015) at Best Buy). You will probably have to wait until next year's black friday to get another deal like this. For the money, the Moto E is probably the best bang for the buck if you have a low budget. So if you need a phone, even at $50 you will like the Moto E. If you can afford it, the Moto G is even better but I think it's $120 but has better specs. The 2 GB of RAM would be nice.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I only paid $50 for my Moto E (2015) at Best Buy). You will probably have to wait until next year's black friday to get another deal like this. For the money, the Moto E is probably the best bang for the buck if you have a low budget. So if you need a phone, even at $50 you will like the Moto E. If you can afford it, the Moto G is even better but I think it's $120 but has better specs. The 2 GB of RAM would be nice.

Verizon is currently selling the Verizon Moto e 2nd gen for $35.

The base moto g 3rd gen has 8gb/1gb,same as the Moto e 2nd gen. The Moto g also comes in 16gb/2gb option but that probably costs more than 120.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Well it doesn't beat $600+ phones but...I would say it handles multi tasking nearly as well as my Turbo 2:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-2/604030-turbo-2-kicking-apps-out-memory.html

And it doesn't kick ACTIVE apps out of memory like the 6S Plus. Of course, reloading apps on the iPhone is much quicker:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/590861-i-used-6sp-week-back-n5-now.html

AFAIK, there is no thermal throttling issues like I had on the Turbo 2 and G4 under heavy load for extended periods of time. In fact, when the Turbo 2 and G4 are under throttling, the Moto E 2nd gen actually is faster in performing tasks.

In app, sometimes the Moto E 2nd gen will struggle a little bit...but not too bad. Scrolling sometimes isn't very smooth.

Now the camera is not anywhere near any high priced device. In good lighting it is ok, but otherwise it is pretty meh.

Battery life performance is quite excellent. In my usage, it gets better battery life than the Turbo 2, S6, and G4, and about the same battery life as my Note 5. Of course, everyone's usage is different, ymmv.

The display is a bit grainy, for those of us used to QHD display, it is only qHD. But honestly not bad at all. And the color is pretty good, better than my Zf2 64/4.

Overall for $10, it is really impressive. CPU wise, it is better than the 2nd gen Moto G and the same with the 3rd gen Moto G.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well it doesn't beat $600+ phones but...I would say it handles multi tasking nearly as well as my Turbo 2:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-2/604030-turbo-2-kicking-apps-out-memory.html

And it doesn't kick ACTIVE apps out of memory like the 6S Plus. Of course, reloading apps on the iPhone is much quicker:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/590861-i-used-6sp-week-back-n5-now.html

AFAIK, there is no thermal throttling issues like I had on the Turbo 2 and G4 under heavy load for extended periods of time. In fact, when the Turbo 2 and G4 are under throttling, the Moto E 2nd gen actually is faster in performing tasks.

In app, sometimes the Moto E 2nd gen will struggle a little bit...but not too bad. Scrolling sometimes isn't very smooth.

Now the camera is not anywhere near any high priced device. In good lighting it is ok, but otherwise it is pretty meh.

Battery life performance is quite excellent. In my usage, it gets better battery life than the Turbo 2, S6, and G4, and about the same battery life as my Note 5. Of course, everyone's usage is different, ymmv.

The display is a bit grainy, for those of us used to QHD display, it is only qHD. But honestly not bad at all. And the color is pretty good, better than my Zf2 64/4.

Overall for $10, it is really impressive. CPU wise, it is better than the 2nd gen Moto G and the same with the 3rd gen Moto G.

Cool. I bought 2 for my nephew and niece (they've both broke their contact phones) for Christmas. I was tempted to take em out and try them lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I bought 2 for my nephew and niece (they've both broke their contact phones) for Christmas. I was tempted to take em out and try them lol

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised that a low end Android isn't that far from a high end Android.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I actually like the Moto E. The only issue is that it isn't picking up my WiFi. Anyone know what the issue might be? I don't have any issue with my Moto X but that has a 5 ghz band.