Problems with Marshmallow on Moto E2, any help?

johnatg

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Problems with Marshmallow on Moto E2

Hope someone can help!

I have multiple problems after my Moto E2 upgraded to Marshmallow recently.

1) My phone connects to my PC, but just shows 'empty folder' rather than the contents of internal storage and SD card as it did with Lollipop. I have found various solutions on-line, but all involve going into developer mode.

2) I can't get into developer mode. I had done so in Lollipop - now 7 taps - even 17 taps, on Build number just brings up part of an unmovable magnified image of the about phone menu - it certainly doesn't get me into developer mode. Clicking on developer options just shows developer options are not available to this user.

3) Home and Settings buttons don't work. They light up and vibrate when I tap them but they do nothing. So now, how do I switch quickly between apps - eg to copy from a web site into Keep or copy and paste between documents? And how do I get quickly back into the Home menu without backing out of each individual page? (I use Smart Launcher)

4) Why has the name of the SD card changed to a 8 digit code? What was wrong with SD card 1?

5) I seem to have less space in Internal Storage for Apps, and under apps in settings there seems to be no easy way to send apps to the SD card as there used to be. How do you do that?

I want to reformat my SD card to Internal storage but am loath to do that if I am not going to be able to reload my pictures and music and at the moment I can find no way top get files from my PC to my phone. None of this feels like progress to me and I'm feeling I'd like Lollipop back - first step - enter developer mode - see 2 above!

Help!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi John

Me personally, I would do the factory reset and be done with it. MM has caused many issues with all devices. There are some, to which have no issues, yours apparently isn't one of them.

2 things to try. Enter recovery, and wipe cache partition, or factory reset. Try the cache wipe first, it may help.

Chris

johnatg

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've wiped the cache - no difference. A factory reset is just too drastic at this stage.

I have found a way to transfer pics and music - actually most of my pics seem to have survived anyway.

I can achieve future transfers through the use of Mega cloud backup. Bit slow, but it has the advantage of getting my critical stuff into the cloud in a very safe encrypted form (from where I can download into my phone - that works). And you get 50 Gb free (restricted monthly bandwidth, but I think I can live with that)

I just hope that Marshmallow updates will solve the other issues in time. I know I'm not alone - a friend has a Moto G2 and that is exactly the same.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Johnatg, welcome to the forums! There's a bug affecting a few users after Marshmallow. The soft keys not working is one of the principal symptoms. In most cases is related to the setup wizard. One of the fixes includes starting this process from adb commands or using Nova Activities. Not sure if your custom launcher includes this option. In Nova you need to add a widget that opens SetupWizardTestActivity and then complete the process. Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ent-apps-button-settings-button-dnt-work.html

johnatg

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Wow!! Thank you thank you thank you Javier!

I followed the link - now everything works!

To help anyone else and save you following a link, here are the instructions as copied:

Here's the fix, being broken down dummy style:
1) Download Nova Launcher & set it as default to replace TouchWiz.
2) Long press on the home screen.
3) Choose Widgets.
4) At the top, under Nova Launcher, scroll to the right & press & hold on Activities and place it somewhere empty on the home screen.
5) Scroll down to Setup Wizard. I saw 2 Setup Wizard options.
6) Under the first Setup Wizard option, I opened it & scrolled down to the 3rd choice which said ".SetupWizardTestActivity". It might be in a different spot for you, but look at the small writing, that's how I saw this one.
7) Select that to create the widget shortcut.
8) Open it. Apparently you're supposed to have a menu to go through and just click through "Next", but there wasn't one for me.
The screen just flashed and then next thing you know, everything works!

At 8, my phone took me through a whole lot of setup screens and updated some apps. Just follow them.

The only thing that didn't work then was the linking to the computer.

To fix that, see this video: USB Connection to PC Problem NOW FIXED in Android 6.0 Marshmallow !!IT Support Services UK

And now everything works!

Ram D

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Genius..genius..genius

Worked on my Nexus 6. I was just minutes away from factory reset. By the way, how do people figure out these kind of stuff?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Genius..genius..genius

Worked on my Nexus 6. I was just minutes away from factory reset. By the way, how do people figure out these kind of stuff?

Hahaha! Someone found out that the problem was caused by a bug on the setup wizard, so it was just a question of starting this process again. Nova Activities is one of the easiest options since it doesn't need root.

By the way, thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forums!

shoprovers

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Problems with Marshmallow on Moto E2

If your moto e is not connecting with computer then there may be an old version of operating system you are using in a computer such as xp.
Secondly,Marshmallow is a latest android operating system which is only performs better in a good processor phones which have 2 or 3 gb of RAM and android 6 or above.Moto e is too short to run this operating system
Moto e has 4 gb internal space which is too short for marshmallow thats why your phone showing less storage space.
Thanks

Prashant Talekar

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

To help anyone else and save you following a link, here are the instructions as copied:

3) Choose Widgets.
4) At the top, under Nova Launcher, scroll to the right & press & hold on Activities and place it somewhere empty on the home screen.
6) Under the first Setup Wizard option, I opened it & scrolled down to the 3rd choice which said ".SetupWizardTestActivity". It might be in a different spot for you, but look at the small writing, that's how I saw this one.
8) Open it. Apparently you're supposed to have a menu to go through and just click through "Next", but there wasn't one for me.

At 8, my phone took me through a whole lot of setup screens and updated some apps. Just follow them.

To fix that, see this video: USB Connection to PC Problem NOW FIXED in Android 6.0 Marshmallow !!IT Support Services UK

Hi , I am not getting your 4th point . From where I should scroll down that ?

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I tried this and the installation gets stuck at the Google Add your Account step (in step 8). It wont let me add my existing account and if I create a new Account, it gets stuck and takes me back to the Terms & Conditions screen.

Please help since now I am stuck with this Nova Launcher which is not fully installed and is my default home screen. So I cant access anything in my phone.

Taiwo444

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site

3) Choose Widgets.

Please it tells me that the setup wizard has stopped working when I clicked on the shortcut. Please what can I do from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

abylia7

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
SERIOUSLY THANK YOU SO MUCH
It was a little different for me. After I opened the .SetupWizardTestActivity it guided me through the process as if it was doing a factory reset. I had to select language, set my wifi, log in/create a gmail account and after that everything was working again!!!

I had a mental breakdown when I thought it was doing a factory reset but everything is great now.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

hamilton237

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
SetupWizardTestActivity is not an option on my screen 12-08-2016 10:44 AM Like 0

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I wanted to post somewhere for future reference. I had the same issue, no "SetupWizardTestActivity" listed. Instead I ran .SetupExitActivity and it worked. No dialog, but notifications appeared immediately, home button works, etc.

bazrumpka

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
You are a GOD !

I just did this, I followed the same process for my OnePlus 3T which also had this error that I couldn't see any notifications and buttons were not working on my OnePlus 3T.

The only difference is that I had to look for the "com.oneplus .... SetupWizard" instead of the one you described. Also, there was no "WizardTestActivity", only the WizardFullActivity". BUt it worked nonethless, I didn't have to do anything - the Wizard said "Your phone is set up" and that's it !

thisisYashaswi

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
It's 2018 and I have a Xiaomi Mi A1 running Android Oreo 8.0.0
I had the same problem and this solution still works!

Just created an account here at AndroidCentral so that I could thank you for this elegant solution.
Simply the thought of backing up my data, factory resetting and then reinstalling everything was giving me shivers. Thankfully due to this solution my problem was sorted in 10 mins flat!

Excellent job! Keep up the good work! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463