Moto E: Is this the end of the feature phone era?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

Motorola is trying to bring those flip-phone users to the world of smartphones with this low-cost / high-end smartphone. Do you think these type of users will make the switch? The specs definitely aren't bad for the $129 price tag. I personally hope it will help to bring users to the smartphone world as I believe everyone should embrace the fact that we have these great devices :).

Moto E specs | Android Central

What are your thoughts? Sound off below!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

I think it is a good move. The basic flip phone is dying, and there will always be people going to those, at the same time, it is nice to see some affordable, and decently designed phones coming to market.

I have a friend who is going to travel to England, and she wants a phone that if it gets lost or stolen, it's no big deal. This is near perfect.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It isn't bad but for those on tmobile, you can pick up the lg f6 for slightly less no contract. The f6 has a better cpu(dual core krait vs dual core a7 in the Moto e) , larger screen, and 4GLTE.

I have seen the f6 for $100 before but even today you can pick one up for $120

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Moto is the new flip phone :p

I'm very impressed with what Moto is doing to tap the entry level market and get smartphones into the hands of people who are just tapping into the smartphone market for the first time, or who were on the edge because of the high prices associated with other devices and contracts.

This device will do well (in my opinion), and do especially good on month-to-month providers/plans.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think one of the main reasons people don't switch from "dumbphones" is the data plan requirements.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ZUudltA.png

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I think one of the main reasons people don't switch from "dumbphones" is the data plan requirements.

Probably less of a concern on current plans, but for me, this is very true. I only need one line with data myself and I am on a legacy Verizon family share plan. So based on that I would pay $120 for one smartphone line with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 4 basic phones. I get subsidized high end phones on all 5 lines. To change the basic to smartphone would raise my bill to $240 (assuming $30/line data l. But I suspect that I am in the minority. Actually one of my lines has data for my wife, but she doesn't need it. She used 0.01gb last month. Some months less.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I know of several people on Verizon that continue to use flip phones because they don't need data on their phone, and don't want to pay for it. Many of the people I know use a flip phone and an Ipod Touch, and they would love to switch to one single device (they are mostly the children of friends or relatives).

However, if the Moto E were available to use on VZW without a data plan, and they could connect to wifi when necessary, I think they would switch.

Probably less of a concern on current plans, but for me, this is very true. I only need one line with data myself and I am on a legacy Verizon family share plan. So based on that I would pay $120 for one smartphone line with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 4 basic phones. I get subsidized high end phones on all 5 lines. To change the basic to smartphone would raise my bill to $240 (assuming $30/line data l. But I suspect that I am in the minority. Actually one of my lines has data for my wife, but she doesn't need it. She used 0.01gb last month. Some months less.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I know of several people on Verizon that continue to use flip phones because they don't need data on their phone, and don't want to pay for it. Many of the people I know use a flip phone and an Ipod Touch, and they would love to switch to one single device (they are mostly the children of friends or relatives).

However, if the Moto E were available to use on VZW without a data plan, and they could connect to wifi when necessary, I think they would switch.

I don't think Verizon will ever allow smartphones to be active on their network without a data plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't think Verizon will ever allow smartphones to be active on their network without a data plan.

Pretty much. They stopped allowing this sometime in 2008.