Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    Motorola is trying to bring those flip-phone users to the world of smartphones with this low-cost / high-end smartphone. Do you think these type of users will make the switch? The specs definitely aren't bad for the $129 price tag. I personally hope it will help to bring users to the smartphone world as I believe everyone should embrace the fact that we have these great devices .

    Moto E specs | Android Central

    What are your thoughts? Sound off below!
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    I think it is a good move. The basic flip phone is dying, and there will always be people going to those, at the same time, it is nice to see some affordable, and decently designed phones coming to market.

    I have a friend who is going to travel to England, and she wants a phone that if it gets lost or stolen, it's no big deal. This is near perfect.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    It isn't bad but for those on tmobile, you can pick up the lg f6 for slightly less no contract. The f6 has a better cpu(dual core krait vs dual core a7 in the Moto e) , larger screen, and 4GLTE.


    I have seen the f6 for $100 before but even today you can pick one up for $120
  4. #4  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,899 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    Moto is the new flip phone :P

    I'm very impressed with what Moto is doing to tap the entry level market and get smartphones into the hands of people who are just tapping into the smartphone market for the first time, or who were on the edge because of the high prices associated with other devices and contracts.

    This device will do well (in my opinion), and do especially good on month-to-month providers/plans.
  5. #5  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    I think one of the main reasons people don't switch from "dumbphones" is the data plan requirements.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Moto E: Is this the end of the feature phone era?

    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I think one of the main reasons people don't switch from "dumbphones" is the data plan requirements.
    Probably less of a concern on current plans, but for me, this is very true. I only need one line with data myself and I am on a legacy Verizon family share plan. So based on that I would pay $120 for one smartphone line with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 4 basic phones. I get subsidized high end phones on all 5 lines. To change the basic to smartphone would raise my bill to $240 (assuming $30/line data l. But I suspect that I am in the minority. Actually one of my lines has data for my wife, but she doesn't need it. She used 0.01gb last month. Some months less.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    I know of several people on Verizon that continue to use flip phones because they don't need data on their phone, and don't want to pay for it. Many of the people I know use a flip phone and an Ipod Touch, and they would love to switch to one single device (they are mostly the children of friends or relatives).

    However, if the Moto E were available to use on VZW without a data plan, and they could connect to wifi when necessary, I think they would switch.

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Probably less of a concern on current plans, but for me, this is very true. I only need one line with data myself and I am on a legacy Verizon family share plan. So based on that I would pay $120 for one smartphone line with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 4 basic phones. I get subsidized high end phones on all 5 lines. To change the basic to smartphone would raise my bill to $240 (assuming $30/line data l. But I suspect that I am in the minority. Actually one of my lines has data for my wife, but she doesn't need it. She used 0.01gb last month. Some months less.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  9. #9  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    I know of several people on Verizon that continue to use flip phones because they don't need data on their phone, and don't want to pay for it. Many of the people I know use a flip phone and an Ipod Touch, and they would love to switch to one single device (they are mostly the children of friends or relatives).

    However, if the Moto E were available to use on VZW without a data plan, and they could connect to wifi when necessary, I think they would switch.
    I don't think Verizon will ever allow smartphones to be active on their network without a data plan.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Moto-E to replace the Flip-Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I don't think Verizon will ever allow smartphones to be active on their network without a data plan.
    Pretty much. They stopped allowing this sometime in 2008.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Similar Threads

  1. Don't believe the hype about good battery life.
    By 1812dave in forum Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
  3. sound when turning phone on
    By nonie in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 06:25 AM
  4. Moto G continues to be a success for Motorola
    By Ry in forum Moto G (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM
  5. bricked my new phone! help
    By Dhaval Thakur in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions