Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,862 Global Posts

Default Will the Moto E get Android L?

Will the Moto E get Android L?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: Will the Moto E get Android L?

I hope so. They did promise the next major update. And Motorola even confirmed it after they rolled out the kitkat 4.4.3 update for Moto E.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,862 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dash_blaze View Post
    I hope so. They did promise the next major update. And Motorola even confirmed it after they rolled out the kitkat 4.4.3 update for Moto E.
    I think the E will get L too, but I think it'll be the only major one.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I think the E will get L too, but I think it'll be the only major one.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    That's for sure. I only hope that Motorola provides timely updates to the latest Android and stock android experience to its future phones. I'm using the E as my daily driver and haven't had an issue.

I'm hoping the E gets L. Motorola promised one big upgrade and L would have to be it, not 4.4.4. I'm wondering how Motorola's speedy upgrades of late will change once they're owned by Lenovo. I hope Lenovo's influence will be minimal at best as far as future hardware and software is concerned.

Posted via Android Central App

According to someone who was given info by a Motorola customer service rep in an online chat, the X and G will definitely get L, but the E seems up in the air. This makes me pessimistic about keeping the E if Motorola cannot keep their promised upgrade beyond minor updates that change little from the out of box experience. Hopefully this isn't the case. Though the target audience for this phone likely doesn't care much about L.

Quote Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
    According to someone who was given info by a Motorola customer service rep in an online chat, the X and G will definitely get L, but the E seems up in the air. This makes me pessimistic about keeping the E if Motorola cannot keep their promised upgrade beyond minor updates that change little from the out of box experience. Hopefully this isn't the case. Though the target audience for this phone likely doesn't care much about L.

Why would a low level customer service rep be privy to that information? I'd take anything they said with a whole pot of salt. Motorola promised a *major* update when they released the E, which wasn't that long ago, I don't see why anything would have changed.

You might think that the Lenovo takeover would make that less certain, but Lenovo is already capable of making smartphones, a lot of the value is in the Motorola brand name, they wouldn't just throw it away by not following through with promises that have already been made.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Yes, I agree. I think said sales rep probably is going on an assumption, the same assumption most of us users would make, that the X and G, Moto's most recent flagship and best selling budget budget phone would likely get "L," with the E being uncertain. All in all, there is probably no intention to leave the E at Kit Kat, but getting some kind of confirmation would be swell indeed, like HTC made for the M7 and M8 immediately after I/O.

Quote Originally Posted by glovenc View Post
    Yes, I agree. I think said sales rep probably is going on an assumption, the same assumption most of us users would make, that the X and G, Moto's most recent flagship and best selling budget budget phone would likely get "L," with the E being uncertain. All in all, there is probably no intention to leave the E at Kit Kat, but getting some kind of confirmation would be swell indeed, like HTC made for the M7 and M8 immediately after I/O.
    Motorola has also confirmation for X and G android L update ,but nothing about Moto E. It seems that there must be some technical issue regarding graphics part in E. So, chance is 50-50.

Well, in the footnote of Moto E device page it is stated that
    "The device will receive at least one software update from the current KitKat 4.4.2 operating system."
    And we have already received one update. So all depends upon the mood of Motorola top management executives.
    Will the Moto E get Android L?-moto_e_footnote.jpg

4.4.4 update is not the major one.